Did Alan Belcher lack fight IQ or mental fortitude?

First of all, I'm a huge Alan Belcher fan, I was really hoping that he would challenge Anderson Silva for the belt. I think that would be a great match up and we'd see some fantastic striking. I was sad to see him lose.

With that said, I'm sure a lot of people were amazed at Alan Belcher's strategy against Yushin Okami. Instead of circling, he went backwards in a straight line until his back was against the cage. Instead of relying on his boxing, he kept looking for a headkick KO. Instead of doing everything to stay on his feet, he went for multiple (I forget if it was 2 or 3) failed guillotines. Instead of getting back up when got top position on the ground, he got dragged into a grappling game.

Is this because
A) He lacks fight IQ, was too confident and didn't notice that his strategy wasn't working and wasn't able to adapt?
B) He was too nervous, couldn't really execute his gameplan or pick up instructions from his corner because his mindset wasn't right?
His stand up game plan was flawed, but going for submissions has nothing to do with it. He is a high level submission artist that believes he can submit anyone. His overall gameplan seemed to be "I can beat you anywhere so I don't need a gameplan." Honestly the only planning done was to try and land the head kick. Thats it. At this level you really do need a game plan. His team failed him, and failed him big.

Wow, they fought twice huh? I didn't know that.

Maybe I'm mixing up this fight with other fights that happened on yesterday's card, but wasn't Okami just outmuscling Belcher in every rounds? I remember Belcher being on the bottom for most of the fight and Okami was in danger for like 2-3 seconds. Sorry, I can't really remember how the fight went down.

Okami, supposedly, is one of the most physically strongest fighters in the middleweight division. So, I guess it's very, very hard to win against a guy who is stronger than you physically when your name is not Anderson "The Spider" Silva or Frankie "The Answer" Edgar.

It did show a serious lack of judgement from Belcher that he continued going for guillotines.

A lot of fighters are guilty of the same thing though. If I was training a fighter who didn't want to be fighting off his back, I'd be livid to see them continually going for guillotines. I don't know the stats but it wouldn't shock me if that was the most attempted submission and one of the most frequently escaped. Standing guillotines are safer, but unless you're absolutely amazing snatching guillotines and pulling guard, I really don't see using them as particularly smart move to make in contemporary elite MMA.

I wonder if it's the case that guys like Belcher can hit guillotines all the time in training against lower level fighters, and become over confident in them.

I remember when sherdoggers where calling him the most underrated mw and how he will KO Okami in 1 round.

AB has won 7 of his last 10 fights. Barring medical stuff he will be back better than ever....

alan belcher lacked (like many other fighters) to face reality and see their opponents realistically fr what they are. Okami IS a big strong dude, no getting past reality.

some guys just can't get away from true smotherers like fitch okami cain ect

I'm not dogging you, but I find it laughable that people would say he lacks fight IQ after people said he was a wizard for beating Palhares.
I don't quite see your point, unless those are the same people. People are always going to have different views on fighters. Some think that BJ Penn has balls the size of pumpkins because he used to fight anyone back in the day, and still fights above his weight. Other people think that BJ Penn quits when he gets beat up and lacks heart.

Especially for fighters like Alan Belcher, who has shown flashes of excellence and moments that were less impressive, one would expect fans to be polarized.

I don't think he looked horrible, just had some instances where things didn't turn out they way he wanted. Sounds just like fighting.
Well, I just think that when you do the same thing in round 1 and round 2, and lose both rounds very clearly, then it's time to switch it up in round 3. Hell, some fighters even have the ability to adapt in the middle of the round.

A lot of people in this thread are saying "Okami was just too good." I'm guessing none of those people are MMA instructors. At least, I wouldn't want someone like that as my instructor, if that's the extent of their analytical abilities.

It's not like Alan Belcher did all the right things and it still wasn't enough. He made a lot of basic mistakes, and was unable to adjust or listen to his cornermen, Duke Roufus and Ben Askren, who plainly pointed out what he needed to do. When a wrestler is coming forward with punches to set up a takedown, don't move backwards. Hell, moving backwards is generally a bad idea anyway, but one would imagine that footwork was something Alan Belcher had trained on extensively before an Okami fight.

His stand up game plan was flawed, but going for submissions has nothing to do with it. He is a high level submission artist that believes he can submit anyone. His overall gameplan seemed to be "I can beat you anywhere so I don't need a gameplan." Honestly the only planning done was to try and land the head kick. Thats it. At this level you really do need a game plan. His team failed him, and failed him big.
I disagree on both counts.

A) Going for submissions has nothing to do with it. Uhm, it has a lot to do with it. Like GSP says, being a mixed martial artist is all about finding the type of attack that maximizes your chance of success, and minimizes your opponent's chance of success. If you have superior striking, strike. If you have superior grappling, grapple. If you have superior cardio, keep a high pace. If you have inferior cardio, control the pace. In a pure striking match, Alan Belcher beats Okami 9 times out of 10. Does he beat Okami 9 times out of 10 in a grappling match? I don't think so. I can see why he went for submissions when he had two rounds in the hole and desperately needed a finish. It was do or die. But not in the first two rounds.

B) His team failed him, he needed a game plan. Uhm, did you not listen to the advice he was getting from his corner? His corner told him exactly what to do, and he did the opposite. Duke Roufus is one of the best coaches in MMA, and there's no way anyone can blame him for the mistakes mentioned in this thread.

i agree he didn't fight very smart, but okami has a way of making people look bad. he's good at getting to the clinch and then is wicked strong once he gets there. he seems to surprise guys with his strength.

He just wasn't good enough. Okami is a much better fighter. Simple as that.

some guys just can't get away from true smotherers like fitch okami cain ect

What Okami did vs. what Cain does is night and day. All Okami did was lay on top of Belcher for 15 minutes. When Cain gets someone down, he stays active. I was extremely disappointed in that fight. I can respect a good grappling match, but Okami knew that Belcher couldn't get up, so he just layed on top of him.

It was a very bad performance by both fighters in that fight.

He probably did not know how to adapt to Okami's style.

^This. Just because Okami got destroyed by Anderson Silva and an upset comeback loss to Boetsch does not erase the fact that Okami has been a perennial top MW since basically 2006. He's beaten some quaity opponents over the years: Belcher, Swick, Tanner, Lister, Munoz, Marquardt. His decision losses were courtesy of the likes of Franklin and Sonnen.

I'm sure clinching and grappling with Okami is as almost as bad as grappling with a LHW or even HW. It's like training for Sonnen's wrestling--you simply will never be able to prepare enought to stop it.

Or Okami just has his number. Belcher had this weird groupie after the Palhares win... understandable because it was awesome, but picking him over Okami was just silly in the first place.

Have to agree with this I think Okamis losses and Belchers wins is what got him so hyped to win this fight.

Okamis losses were to tough guys though and Belchers wins were to middle of the pack MWs.

I can respect a good grappling match...It was a very bad performance by both fighters in that fight.

In other words, you cannot respect a good grappling match. Belcher did not lay down for Okami, hence, Okami had to work his ass off to beat Belcher but he did it so well that many thought he just "laid there".

-Belcher reversed takedowns followed by Okami intently seeking to scramble off his back.
-Okami's guard pass was beautiful, the ref, much like yourself, did not understand and stood Okami up on 2 occassions right after Okami broke guard and moved to dominant side control. Okami finally got full mount and rained punches at the end but as you saw, Belcher did a great job of staying active and improving his position.
-Belcher went for submissions and Okami defended them--again, Okami is a high level grappler and made it look simple.

It was an incredible performance by Okami and Belcher was simply surprised once again by Okami's strength and unable to counter it.

I think he had delusions of grandeur after beating Palhares and overlooked Okami. Why else would he go up to Dana before the fight and outright tell him "I will win this fight"?

Oh yeah he also said something along the lines of "Okami will piss his pants when I get in the octagon with him" or something like that.

Okami was so afraid he walked forward and bullied him against the fence.

Wow, ton's of Belcher hate. People speak as if he's no good. He got laid on for three rounds. That's pretty much it.

I don't quite see your point, unless those are the same people. People are always going to have different views on fighters. Some think that BJ Penn has balls the size of pumpkins because he used to fight anyone back in the day, and still fights above his weight. Other people think that BJ Penn quits when he gets beat up and lacks heart.

Especially for fighters like Alan Belcher, who has shown flashes of excellence and moments that were less impressive, one would expect fans to be polarized.

Well, I just think that when you do the same thing in round 1 and round 2, and lose both rounds very clearly, then it's time to switch it up in round 3. Hell, some fighters even have the ability to adapt in the middle of the round.

A lot of people in this thread are saying "Okami was just too good." I'm guessing none of those people are MMA instructors. At least, I wouldn't want someone like that as my instructor, if that's the extent of their analytical abilities.

It's not like Alan Belcher did all the right things and it still wasn't enough. He made a lot of basic mistakes, and was unable to adjust or listen to his cornermen, Duke Roufus and Ben Askren, who plainly pointed out what he needed to do. When a wrestler is coming forward with punches to set up a takedown, don't move backwards. Hell, moving backwards is generally a bad idea anyway, but one would imagine that footwork was something Alan Belcher had trained on extensively before an Okami fight.

Yeah, I was referring more to flip-flop hypocrisy (and apparent generalized sentiment), not really polarized fans. And I agree that his style and flashes of brilliance and his lows are a big part of it.

As for the fight, maybe it was just my perception because going into it I was expecting Okami to steamroll him a little more. On a very simplified level, the fight played out in my mind, as I was watching it, like a repetitive version of "Wow, Belcher looks good...Belcher looks damn good...WTF was that?" rinse and repeat.

Back