Did Alan Belcher lack fight IQ or mental fortitude?

definitely question his fight IQ, had no idea what he was trying to do last night.

dropping down for guillotines? against okami?

backing up and letting himself get clinched time and time again?

terrible fight IQ. corner was telling him stay off the fence. dude didnt listen. backed up to the fence round after round and continued to get smothered. really no other excuse. its a shame too because for the few standup exchanges they had belcher was doing damage.

Belchers a very likeable guy and he has improved loads especially on the ground. But people just forgot exactly how good Okami is, his stand up is good, his wrestling and top control are great and I've never seen that dude get submitted and I really don't think he will for some time. His only glaring weakness is his striking defence, I want to say chin but he walked through some huge bombs from Marquardt like they were nothing.

Okami is still a top 5 middleweight imo and I'd love to see him fight someone like Shields next.

Belchers a very likeable guy and he has improved loads especially on the ground. But people just forgot exactly how good Okami is, his stand up is good, his wrestling and top control are great and I've never seen that dude get submitted and I really don't think he will for some time. His only glaring weakness is his striking defence, I want to say chin but he walked through some huge bombs from Marquardt like they were nothing.

Okami is still a top 5 middleweight imo and I'd love to see him fight someone like Shields next.

He has always been a pretty dangerous fighter, but he hasn't improved loads, he's the same fighter he's always been

Belcher countered Okamis td's in every round, ended up on top position and jumped for guillotine, which failed. It was pretty odd how this exact same thing happened in every round.

Okami looked like he usually does. Suffocating top game and excellent clinch. Belcher just didnt have answer for those.

Alan got humped like a $5 hooker in NYC during Fleet week.

I hope Okami tipped him.

I don't know he tried for sure but he failed.

He has always been a pretty dangerous fighter, but he hasn't improved loads, he's the same fighter he's always been

Oh come on now lets not write off all his hard work, Belchers come a long way and at one time was on his way out of the UFC. Compared to when he was dominated by Jason Day(From on top of Day), got D'arced by Kendal Grove and squeaked by a lucky decision over Ed Herman. It's really ignorant not to notice how much he's improved much less say he's the same fighter he's always been.

I think he underestimated Okami. Looking at the ref with a "help me" expression is not a good game plan.

i think he had a ton of troulbe with okami's attack - okami is a very tough, underrated fighter - sure he lost to boetsch and also got outlcassed by sonnen and silva, but hes clearly somewhere near the top of the heap in the division - hes a really tough fight

so i think people resort to elementary tactics and headhunting when they cant do sht

He was over-confident, has been for a while now. If that's what Okami can do to him, imagine what say, Sonnen, would have done.

Not a contender yet, I was sure he'd avenge the loss last night though. Okami just shut him down, I look forward to his fights in the future, usually entertains.

I was impressed by the reversals he pulled off during almost every takedown, but he kept going for that damn guillotine and it cost him the fight.

Here is what Alan had to say about Okami a few days ago.

I was puzzled why he tried the jumping guard guillotine three times and just handed okami top position every time. Gees.

im not sure if it was fight iq or delusion caused him to do what he did but belcher had the tools to win but didnt execute

belcher needed to stay in the center of the cage and didnt

belcher needed to stay standing yet he was throwing kicks

belcher needed to stay standing but he went for guillotines

belcher rocked him a couple times with his hands and didnt capitalize

okamis a good fighter and tough for belcher on his best day but i still think with better execution that belcher could have done way better with his skill set

Okami is just a better fighter, Belcher was getting a lot of hype and for some reason Okami gets little.

It's pretty obvious he lacks fight IQ. He got away with it in the Palhares fight and everyone thought it was great, when in reality it was obviously something a better fighter like Okami was going to be able to capitalize on. I didn't think he'd make the same mistake twice, he really had too much faith in his abilities going into this one. I don't care how good you are, you need a gameplan when you're fighting someone like Okami and if you play to his strengths then you're going to lose every time.

Just a stupid rematch....let Belcher strike with Bisping or so many other fresh fight for the fans...Okami is a grind out fight for anyone and is a tough fight for a lot of guys

Back