Did Alan Belcher lack fight IQ or mental fortitude?

CELS

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
First of all, I'm a huge Alan Belcher fan, I was really hoping that he would challenge Anderson Silva for the belt. I think that would be a great match up and we'd see some fantastic striking. I was sad to see him lose.

With that said, I'm sure a lot of people were amazed at Alan Belcher's strategy against Yushin Okami. Instead of circling, he went backwards in a straight line until his back was against the cage. Instead of relying on his boxing, he kept looking for a headkick KO. Instead of doing everything to stay on his feet, he went for multiple (I forget if it was 2 or 3) failed guillotines. Instead of getting back up when got top position on the ground, he got dragged into a grappling game.

Is this because
A) He lacks fight IQ, was too confident and didn't notice that his strategy wasn't working and wasn't able to adapt?
B) He was too nervous, couldn't really execute his gameplan or pick up instructions from his corner because his mindset wasn't right?

I was puzzled for sure, but I think Okami's aggressiveness surprised Belcher (probably as much as Cain's surprised JDS). That said, Belcher did look lost at times, as if he forgot the gameplan.

I don't wear a tinfoil hat, but there were a lot of upsets last night in my mind. Belcher, Boetsch and Johnson all looked like different fighters last night.

He probably did not know how to adapt to Okami's style. Belcher got a lot of hype after beating a dangerous gatekeeper in Palhares but Okami is just on a different level.

Or Okami just has his number. Belcher had this weird groupie after the Palhares win... understandable because it was awesome, but picking him over Okami was just silly in the first place.

Alan Belcher was never close to being able to challenge Silva, so that was pure fantasy.

Alan Belcher was overrated, which is why you're shocked.

Belcher sensed a weakness in Okami's striking and was clearly trying to keep the fight on the feet. I think Okami just outmuscled him and there wasn't anything Belcher could do.

I remember thinking he was not desperate enough to keep the center of the cage. He looked good while he did.

Be it pride, fight IQ, mental fortitude, Okami, or something else.

Belcher just isn't that great. He's never been an elite fighter and the only reason why he was mentioned as a possible title contender was because the mw division is weak.

He lacked the skills to beat Okami, it's pretty simple. Palhares' hype carried over to Belcher.

I think he had delusions of grandeur after beating Palhares and overlooked Okami. Why else would he go up to Dana before the fight and outright tell him "I will win this fight"?

Oh yeah he also said something along the lines of "Okami will piss his pants when I get in the octagon with him" or something like that.

Belcher did not play it smart, why would he pull guard on Okami of all people? He's just gonna lay on you and defend everything. Everytime he did that I was like...wtf man. You WANT to lose.

belcher has great stand up and good ground game, not so much wrestling as Okami reminded all of us

I think Belcher does lack some fight IQ. He has a tendency to play into his opponents' games. The Palhares fight is a great example. He showed incredible talent by surviving those leg attacks and getting the TKO, but he never should have been playing that game with him in the first place. Really talented guy, but he seems too content to fight where his opponents want to fight.

Belcher is 1 of the most overrated fighters in the ufc, honestly dont get all the nut-hugging.

Belcher isn't smart. I also thought he lost to Ed Herman a few years ago.

Belcher, is way overrated on these forums just because he posts. he couldn't beat Akiyama, no chance he was gonna beat Okami.

I find it funny because Belcher released a VLOG where he was analysing the Bisping/Stann fight as if he was some expert. Pity he can't use his own advice. Made easy money on Okami last night.

First of all, I'm a huge Alan Belcher fan, I was really hoping that he would challenge Anderson Silva for the belt. I think that would be a great match up and we'd see some fantastic striking. I was sad to see him lose.

With that said, I'm sure a lot of people were amazed at Alan Belcher's strategy against Yushin Okami. Instead of circling, he went backwards in a straight line until his back was against the cage. Instead of relying on his boxing, he kept looking for a headkick KO. Instead of doing everything to stay on his feet, he went for multiple (I forget if it was 2 or 3) failed guillotines. Instead of getting back up when got top position on the ground, he got dragged into a grappling game.

Is this because
A) He lacks fight IQ, was too confident and didn't notice that his strategy wasn't working and wasn't able to adapt?
B) He was too nervous, couldn't really execute his gameplan or pick up instructions from his corner because his mindset wasn't right?

It was because...
C) He was never that good and built up a rep beating up on lesser fighters in impressive fashion only to lose when he takes a step up in competition

Alan Belcher was never close to being able to challenge Silva, so that was pure fantasy.

Alan Belcher was overrated, which is why you're shocked.

Exactly, TS simply bought the hype. Belcher vs Silva would be the funniest murder in the history of mankind

Belcher, is way overrated on these forums just because he posts. he couldn't beat Akiyama, no chance he was gonna beat Okami.

I find it funny because Belcher released a VLOG where he was analysing the Bisping/Stann fight as if he was some expert. Pity he can't use his own advice. Made easy money on Okami last night.

It amazes me that you have dubs. You're either a troll or a truly sad individual who takes joy in the failings of others who actually try in life.

Back