Dickheads you've sparred against: Hall of Fame

Not really a dick head, just a bit of an oaf. This fat dude 6'2 275-300lbs vs me 5'7 155lbs. we were doing light sparring and I was moving around a lot trying to avoid this guy's punches because he doesn't know how strong he is, hits maadddd hard, and has a big reach advantage on me. I guess he got frustrated with my movement because he threw a leg kick at me as fast as he could and it landed flush on my thigh. I dropped right there and my leg was fucked up for like 2 weeks. When I'm holding the MT pads for him it feels like my elbow is going to break when he throws a cross, I always duck him now lol.

I like to spar hard and I only do so when the sparring session naturally goes that way (progressively increasing the speed and power) but what I hate is when guys get visibly angry after getting tagged a couple of times.

Not to mention a couple of young upstarts doing the front kick to the knee during sparring.
I mean, what the fuck, it's something you do on the street knowing you are seriously going to hurt someone.

i probably count as one of those dickheads i got annoyed when an instructor at another gym decided to charge a 15 dollar mat fee for me to spar my friends who went to his school i asked him if he wanted to spar since i was paying for the mat time anyway and i went way to hard on him i generally try to not do that though since sparring is about learning and not fighting

My general rule of sparring is let the weaker/ more inexperienced fighter dictate the pace. And if somebody is struggling with the speed or pace (to the point where they could get hurt) lay off.
Nothing wrong with sparring hard if both people are willing and able, but.

Not really a dick head, just a bit of an oaf. This fat dude 6'2 275-300lbs vs me 5'7 155lbs. we were doing light sparring and I was moving around a lot trying to avoid this guy's punches because he doesn't know how strong he is, hits maadddd hard, and has a big reach advantage on me. I guess he got frustrated with my movement because he threw a leg kick at me as fast as he could and it landed flush on my thigh. I dropped right there and my leg was fucked up for like 2 weeks. When I'm holding the MT pads for him it feels like my elbow is going to break when he throws a cross, I always duck him now lol.

Reminds me of a massive clumsy guy I was holding pads for once.
He did a push-kick and his foot slipped right up off the pad and into my face. He hadn't cut his TOE NAILS for quite a while and one of them cut my lip pretty deep. Gross.

^Your lucky dude. Pretty sure Mike Winklejon lost an eye like that.

This one guy was only like a month in and he was completely swinging for the fences, trying to take my head off. Not wanting to hurt a beginner I told him to take it easy, his reply to that was "some pro you are!" So I put down with a left body kick and he got up, went crazy and he got put to sleep by way of overhand right :icon_lol:

Oh well, at least he's a bit calmer now :icon_twis

Are you serious? As if your trainer didn't notice...

Not so much sparring i have a problem with cause i like to spar at fight pace and generally if you have a half decent jab you can control someone who is swinging for the fences.

But i hate it when people get smart during partner drills and you're working on jab defense and they decide to throw a right hand instead, which is alright it tests your peripheral vision out making sure you're not too focused on the left hand, but when you get onto what they're doing and slip the right hand then they try and get smarter and whole session turns out into one big feinting session, then they'll just try and reach out and touch your head slowly.

I got a bit pissed with the dude then ended up cracking him and told him to do it properly, coach told me after the class good on me aswell cause he seen how he was fucking around. If you're working on punch defense then fucking punch, don't try and just caress your hand on me you fucking homo.

I tell him never to do that, so then he proceeds to try to side kick me very hard to the face and ribs. It doesn't work because it's difficult to place a side kick, but he's TMA so he doesn't know that.

You're not even supposed to kick above the waist in wing chun

Now to my story, I was doing karate once, and I was to spar an older student, (didn't seem happy to be sparring with the new guy) who just started kicking for my head, which was really easy to see, as he didn't even try to use anything else, and going for one more kick, I dropped to one knee and punched him right in the inner thigh. He just lay there for a bit and i felt pretty bad, but he sort of deserved it for trying to knock out a guy a lot less experienced than him.

Was training with a guy just yesterday that goes 90% while I'm only pushing at about 70% as the coach said. He landed a shot to my sternum and I felt shit move so I just went into the clinch and threw knees at him to slow him down. After that I just sparred with guys I know take it a little easy on me because they're bigger.

I usually don't have any issues with my sparring sessions at the boxing gym I go to, but this one might be worth mentioning.

Anyway, I don't own a set of headgear, so I usually use the community ones at the gym. So I'm boxing this guy when he hits me with an overhand right, bringing the headgear down over my eyes. I can't see shit, and he charges in and hits me with a barrage of punches. I try pulling up my headgear, but because it was lodged in pretty tight over my eyes and me trying to blindly bob and slip punches, I couldn't do it until our coach stepped in.

I shrug it off, thinking that maybe in the heat of the moment he didn't notice the headgear covering my face or notice me trying to wave at him to stop. I was surprised at the fact that he still kept on throwing hooks and whatnot despite me not firing back with anything or blocking much at all (i.e., as if I was hurt) during a light sparring session, since all of the folk at our gym tend to back off after they land a couple good shots when we are going light.

So we go again, this time towards the center of the ring where I get hit again and the headgear covers my eyes again. This time I back up and put one hand on the ropes and tell him to stop. I turn my back towards him thinking he was going to stop, to take a moment to adjust my headrest as he comes in and hits me with what I presume to be a couple of 1-2s to the back of my skull. So now I'm hurled over the ropes, with my left trying to cover the back of my head as he continues to throw at my back and my head. He finally stops once the coach steps in again.

I think this guy tends to get a bit too heated during sparring sessions since prior to sparring me, he went apeshit trying to punch out a 14 year old kid who was obviously hurt.

I usually don't have any issues with my sparring sessions at the boxing gym I go to, but this one might be worth mentioning.

Anyway, I don't own a set of headgear, so I usually use the community ones at the gym. So I'm boxing this guy when he hits me with an overhand right, bringing the headgear down over my eyes. I can't see shit, and he charges in and hits me with a barrage of punches. I try pulling up my headgear, but because it was lodged in pretty tight over my eyes and me trying to blindly bob and slip punches, I couldn't do it until our coach stepped in.

I shrug it off, thinking that maybe in the heat of the moment he didn't notice the headgear covering my face or notice me trying to wave at him to stop. I was surprised at the fact that he still kept on throwing hooks and whatnot despite me not firing back with anything or blocking much at all (i.e., as if I was hurt) during a light sparring session, since all of the folk at our gym tend to back off after they land a couple good shots when we are going light.

So we go again, this time towards the center of the ring where I get hit again and the headgear covers my eyes again. This time I back up and put one hand on the ropes and tell him to stop. I turn my back towards him thinking he was going to stop, to take a moment to adjust my headrest as he comes in and hits me with what I presume to be a couple of 1-2s to the back of my skull. So now I'm hurled over the ropes, with my left trying to cover the back of my head as he continues to throw at my back and my head. He finally stops once the coach steps in again.

I think this guy tends to get a bit too heated during sparring sessions since prior to sparring me, he went apeshit trying to punch out a 14 year old kid who was obviously hurt.

... it sounds like that guy has no place in any kind of sparring gym. I mean, multiple hits to the back of your head during sparring, while you're blinded? What a psycho.

... it sounds like that guy has no place in any kind of sparring gym. I mean, multiple hits to the back of your head during sparring, while you're blinded? What a psycho.

To top it off, he showed up with a friend who was just observing the sparring session. Maybe he was just trying to impress him or something. I pretty much ruled out him not knowing that rabbit punching is not permitted, since he is a pretty avid boxing fan.

My general rule of sparring is let the weaker/ more inexperienced fighter dictate the pace. And if somebody is struggling with the speed or pace (to the point where they could get hurt) lay off.
Nothing wrong with sparring hard if both people are willing and able, but.

Yes.

I just got back from my Muay Thai class and got a chance to watch the sparring section of the earlier section. There was this guy there who looked like a bit of a douche, he ended up sparring with one of the more seasoned and actually helpful guys in the gym. You know, one of those old guys with families who always help out/hold the bags for people.

Long story short the new dude ended up kicking the older fella, turns out he went a 100% though. What happened was when the older dude actually blocked the kick, he ended up with a break in the hand.

I've only had one session where I thought the other guy was being a dick. In class we're doing a thing where we spar everyone else in the class for one round each. So I'm with this guy I hadn't seen before, a couple inches taller than me and with at least 75 pounds on me, who I later found out is an amateur kickboxer and former professional boxer (he was probably 35-40). This guy was throwing strikes WAY harder than I could handle - I'd been doing MT for about 3 months at that point - and I couldn't manage to block more than half the shots. When we do stuff like this at my gym, normally the guys hit me very lightly, enough to notice it but not enough to seriously hurt. I asked the guy to power down and he said okay, but there didn't seem to be any change. Then I asked him a second time and he said okay, and a few seconds later threw a body shot that felt like I got hit by a car. At that point I just said "thank you" very politely, walked away, and sat down until the next round when we all switched partners.

I've seen the guy around a lot more since then, and sparred with him a few times, and haven't had any problems ever since. But I still feel a little uncomfortable because of that first time. Maybe he just didn't realize how much lower my level was, but it should have been obvious from my performance, and from me twice asking him to power down.

Everyone else at my gym is great though, I haven't had any sparring problems since then. Except that one time I was (accidentally) the asshole hitting too hard and didn't realize it until after we were done when the guy asked if I could power down next time, felt like a dick about that.
He probably wasn't doing it on purpose. There's a pro boxer at our gym that has a lot of trouble gauging his power. He has very heavy hands and for a while I thought he was just going way too hard in sparring until I had a hard sparring session with him. The guy hits like a train and has very very good punching technique.

Had an interesting story last night. Tale of two people if you will.

The first guy was a MT guy who's had some fights. We're going about medium speed, focusing on technique, finding our spots, no big issue. I was actually wondering about the pace but he was all "it's fine, it's fine." We're going about 60%

Second guy was apparently new to the gym, but did kung fu or some form of TMA before this. After going on about wanting to keep a "defensive mindset" in a sparrign session (we're told be the coach to be going about 50-70%) he threw a headkick at me full force. I back him up, and he does it again, whizzing right by my face. So I back him up into the cage fence and start teeing off on him for about 10 seconds, at which point the coach breaks us up. It's one thing to be weird, it's another to be a hypocrite while being weird to try and catch your opponent off guard.

I've never had anything too serious happen. I got a buddy that doesn't know what it means to have control. Sometimes we spar on the mats. He'll use footwork to go straight back into an area where we have to stop when I start to engage him. Like to run into people or the wall and our instructor tells us to break. That's so frustrating. I've gotten good at timing him on the way in though so I catch him on his way in. It's so frustrating. I've run him down a few times just to get a hold of him. I dunno if he does it without realizing or if he does it on purpose. I throw a double jab, then he backs into a wall or another group of people. Stupid. He's a nice guy though. He's good and that's what makes me so mad. He can do better.

I've had a few instances of people being annoying. Some guy would complain about getting hit in the face. He'd find a way to complain when we sparred. He stopped as we almost backed into a group of people (obviously we need to get a cage/ring). But I'm in the middle of a combo and he complains that i hit him after he stopped. Protect yourself and start thinking like you're in a cage/ring.

And the funniest one. There's this 280 pound guy we train with. I'm 165 by the way. We're the same height though. I'm actually taller by a few inches. So I'm tall and skinny and he's a few inches shorter and... well, kinda fat. I like the guy. But he's got some quirks when you spar him. We sometimes work from a clinch per our instructors instructions. This guy will bowl me up against the cage, and try to maul me and take my head off. I get a thai clinch, spin off and put him on the cage and he complains that I'm too rough with knees to the thigh and body. "Easy with the knees, Ed. I've got to walk tomorrow". "Careful with the bear mauling, I've got to live tomorrow.".

I have to add... I really hate when people say "Don't go too hard" and don't realize that they're throwing really hard. New guys do it because to hit they have to throw as fast as they can, but I hate when they have an ego and they try to amp up just so they can hit you and when you amp up to even the pace, they get hurt and try to guilt trip you. As if you were going too hard for them.

I've started saying "I'll go as hard as you go" So people realize that they have control and if they hit me hard and get hit hard back it's their own fault.

Back