Dickheads you've sparred against: Hall of Fame

Anyone who spars with an ego can be a problem. People sometimes think that sparring is a real fight and people get injured.

When I was younger there was a guy who whenever the two of us would spar for whatever reason we would try to kill each other. I think as most people get older and more experienced that stops for the most part.

Seriously almost every gym I've been to tell you to leave your ego outside the door.

Seriously almost every gym I've been to tell you to leave your ego outside the door.

It's great advice and you can often tell right off the bat by the way someone carries themselves if you want to spar with them or not.

Guys who carry themselves as tough guys are pains to deal with. People who are humble but confident are generally the best. Attitude is everything in and out of the gym.

hit them as hard as they hit you... or get hit as hard as you punch.

anyways, body shots are always my favorite for guys that i wanna hurt.

i hate stupid motherfuckers who think every sparring session is fight to the death. FUCK ME , its just SPARRING, chill the FUCK OUT!:mad:

Go as hard as your partner wants to go. If he goes too soft then turn it up. I don't see why you guys have problems with guys that go too hard. That's good sparring imo. If you're getting lit up then just shell and defend. There's a reason why some of the best and most famous boxers put thousand dollar bounties on themselves to whoever can knock them down in sparring.

Now if someone is trying to kick you in the head as hard as they can or throw a straight knee to your ribs hard then that shouldnt be allowed.

A good hard spar every so often is good for the blood.
And it only takes to second to ask the other dude how hard
or soft you wanna go for this round of sparring.

This one guy was only like a month in and he was completely swinging for the fences, trying to take my head off. Not wanting to hurt a beginner I told him to take it easy, his reply to that was "some pro you are!" So I put down with a left body kick and he got up, went crazy and he got put to sleep by way of overhand right :icon_lol:

Oh well, at least he's a bit calmer now :icon_twis

i hate stupid motherfuckers who think every sparring session is fight to the death. FUCK ME , its just SPARRING, chill the FUCK OUT!:mad:

:eek:

wow...you should follow your own advice too sometimes.

..........(slowly backing away).

I recently sparred a guy who's soul intent was to prove to me that he was superior and more traditional than i was.....during our first round he proceded to throw single shots at full power and gauge my reaction....so my reaction was to put a really mean face on when i threw a punch and then stop right before i hit him.....the result was him cringed up and me barely (tapping him in the face/kicking him in the leg)....after a few of these akward exchanges and me smiling and showing no signs of fatigue he proceded to take on a mutually beneficial sparring pace that we both ended up enjoying for about six rounds...........

long story short- if someone wants to show u what time it is, do everything in your power to make them feel like a piece of shit/bully and dont stoop to their level.....

I've only had one session where I thought the other guy was being a dick. In class we're doing a thing where we spar everyone else in the class for one round each. So I'm with this guy I hadn't seen before, a couple inches taller than me and with at least 75 pounds on me, who I later found out is an amateur kickboxer and former professional boxer (he was probably 35-40). This guy was throwing strikes WAY harder than I could handle - I'd been doing MT for about 3 months at that point - and I couldn't manage to block more than half the shots. When we do stuff like this at my gym, normally the guys hit me very lightly, enough to notice it but not enough to seriously hurt. I asked the guy to power down and he said okay, but there didn't seem to be any change. Then I asked him a second time and he said okay, and a few seconds later threw a body shot that felt like I got hit by a car. At that point I just said "thank you" very politely, walked away, and sat down until the next round when we all switched partners.

I've seen the guy around a lot more since then, and sparred with him a few times, and haven't had any problems ever since. But I still feel a little uncomfortable because of that first time. Maybe he just didn't realize how much lower my level was, but it should have been obvious from my performance, and from me twice asking him to power down.

Everyone else at my gym is great though, I haven't had any sparring problems since then. Except that one time I was (accidentally) the asshole hitting too hard and didn't realize it until after we were done when the guy asked if I could power down next time, felt like a dick about that.

I only had one bad experience with sparring. I was pretty new to the thing and wasn't sure how hard to go but this fatty was trying to knock me out I'm sure of it. I just kind of finished the session and moved on but one coach told us to chill out first.

I like hard sparring but only with another guy who is good because I feel that is helping me get better. I have to admit I hate sparring with guys who can't take some contact OR when they hit you expect you to go down for the count or something. Wow, you actually landed a punch! You just tagged me, you're not freaking Mike Tyson. Keep going.

never had issue with standup sparring, get alot of spazzes in grappling though

the worst part is that most of these guys are fat.

Personally, most of the accomplished or experienced guys i spar with (or have sparred with) are very respectful and know how to control their shots and prevent unnecessary training injuries......... I have had some issues when working with newbies getting over excited and throwing for the fences, but for the most part it doesn't bother me and is to be expected.Both the more experienced guys and myself always just explain to them that they can decide the pace, we will adjust ours according to theirs, if they start swinging at 90%...... well, the favor gets returned (after several warnings and never at 90%, maybe a good gut shot at 70-80%, or a stiff/sharp jab in the forehead of their headgear). Usually it only happens a couple of times and they get the idea!

However, i distinctly remember this kid that came into the gym i was training/coaching at a year or so ago. Clad in the newest gear with a pair of Reyes gloves that looked like they just came out of the plastic wrap....... probably 19-20 yrs old and a big athletic looking kid. The first day he came to class i told him he had to start in the beginner class, he of course argued that he had "mad skills, and wanted to fight MMA pro". After a bit of grumbling he joined the beginner class and immediately it was obvious that is where he belonged. We were doing rotating partner drills working on the basics, every time he hit the pad he would make this loud ridiculous "arrgh" sound, then slap his gloves together and hop up and down before rotating stations (ala Tito Ortiz). At the end of the beginner class we did a drill where one guy would throw a very light (20-30% half speed) 1,2,3 and the other would defend it, back and forth. He was partnered up with a younger kid (16-17) about half his size. I looked over during the drill and this jack ass was throwing his punches at the kid at 80-90%...... I immediately yelled "what the fuck are you doing", his response was that he needed to be in the "more advanced" class because he wasn't "trained to throw light punches". I rarely lose my temper with students, but this clown was the exception. I immediately dismissed the class and threw him a headgear and told him to come on out and do some "light sparring" with me, demonstrating how "advanced" he was. Even the head instructor and owner of the gym didn't bother to stop me, and he was constantly paranoid about liability issues. Needless to say, kid came out swinging like a drunken Irish Football (soccer) fan....... As much as i really wanted to smash one across his jaw i used "some restraint" and blasted him in the solar plex with a straight right hand, and i didn't hold back he got all of 90% or better. About 3 minutes later when he got his breathing under control and up off the mat he humbly said "good shot" and exclaimed "i was just tired, we will go again tomorrow", he said. I replied "sounds good to me", never saw the kid again....... :icon_chee:icon_chee

The 250lb boxer who wants to take my head off because I am smaller and frustrate him with speed and kicks. I haven't planted my shin on his face because I don't want to add fuel to the fire. I hope some guy his size joins our class and knocks his teeth out one day. Fucking sore ass loser. All you have IS size!

Over 200lb douchebag who uses 14oz gloves when sparring (I'm 30lbs lighter, 6 inches shorter than him and I use 18's) who continuously threw teeps ("push kicks") to my knee cap. Specifically the knee I wear a brace on. He doesn't throw those at anyone with a healthy knee.

Over 200lb douchebag who uses 14oz gloves when sparring (I'm 30lbs lighter, 6 inches shorter than him and I use 18's) who continuously threw teeps ("push kicks") to my knee cap. Specifically the knee I wear a brace on. He doesn't throw those at anyone with a healthy knee.

Where the hell is the coach when this is going on? have ya mentioned it to him! I would advise you do so......... or just soccer kick the guy in the business!

The TMA guy who has no clue of what you can or can't do. He's nice and all, so isn't a dickhead. He just keeps on doing annoying shit.

First we do some drills with the gloves where I attack him and he just has to block and escape, but he does these gay wing chun things like little rolling back fists on my nose.

So I propose to spar boxing. But he keeps on doing these weird little kicks with his instep to my shin, so I propose to do some kick boxing as well.

I nail him a couple of times with leg kicks but he complains that it's too dangerous for the leg. On the other hand he tries to side kick me knee. I tell him never to do that, so then he proceeds to try to side kick me very hard to the face and ribs. It doesn't work because it's difficult to place a side kick, but he's TMA so he doesn t know that.

In the end he says starts saying in a real fight there are so many things he could do that I couldn't defend. I just nod.

I guess he's a typical TMA dude. Pretty annoying stuff, but nice guy nevertheless.

Where the hell is the coach when this is going on? have ya mentioned it to him! I would advise you do so......... or just soccer kick the guy in the business!

The coach isn't a very attentive one. I solved my problem with overhand rights.

Back