Diaz Used The Same "Out of Competition" Defense But Lost

I have dubs so I have to control myself here, but goddamn people here are thick.

First of all, for people saying Diaz isn't a cash cow, what the fuck are you smoking? (pardon the pun). He most certainly is. It's why he keeps getting title shots and huge main event fights despite losing, testing positive, and "retiring". Jones on the other hand hasn't been doing so hot lately with his PPVs.

Second, what is it that people don't understand about "out-of-competition"? Jones popped before the fight, where recreational drug use is allowed. Diaz popped in his post-fight test. That's the difference. Let's repeat one more time, in bold: Jones popped before the fight, where recreational drug use is allowed. Diaz popped in his post-fight test. Diaz probably didn't smoke for a little while before the fight but because weed stays in your system a while he popped his post-fight test. What matters here is when the test was administered, not when the drug was supposedly taken. Now, IF Jones also fails his post-fight test, expect the same treatment.

In conclusion, you can whine about the rules being stupid but that's a completely different topic. First you must understand the rules you are whining about, and most people on here fail to do that.

Which is a good thing and a tacit admission that Diaz should not have been punished.

Interestingly, it looks like he would have passed for the Condit fight (as he barely failed with the old rules). He still would have failed after the Gomi fight, though.

why is this still going on? diaz failed his post-fight test. his levels were above what was allowed. that was the test. the ac had their standards and diaz results were a fail. it's pretty simple.

1. I concur that according to the wording of the rule, the AC was right to punish Diaz and not punish Jones.

2. However, the rule is very stupid and does not at all fit the spirit of the law, which is that a fighter should not be high either cocaine or marijuana while actually fighting or in the twelve hours leading up to the fight.

3. No one thinks Diaz was actually high during the fight or immediately prior, and his test seems to confirm this. He was punished for using weed out of competition and should have won his appeal.

4. Does this mean Jones received favorable treatment? I say no. The AC knew they goofed and changed the levels of marijuana metabolites allowed to better avoid punishing guys not actually using in competition. This happened well prior to the Jones incident.

5. Why does this matter? Because until the Jones scandal I did not pay much attention to Diaz' appeal, and did not realize how badly the commission handled Diaz' case.

"It doesn't matter what I think, what you think, what anybody else thinks, it's illegal."

"Listen, I'd love to say something right now that, you know, makes Nick Diaz free and clear to fight again but I can't. It's illegal. It is illegal. You can't smoke it. You can't smoke it. The Commission says you can't do it leading up to a fight, can't have any traces of any drugs inside your body. You can't do this, you can't do that. Those are the fucking rules. It's the rules, you know"

DANA... bigger hypocrite than Jones

Interestingly, it looks like he would have passed for the Condit fight (as he barely failed with the old rules). He still would have failed after the Gomi fight, though.

Lol, I was referring to the Condit fight. The Gomi fight was before I really started watching MMA.

This was also under Kizer, who's a fucking idiot. They have since changed the threshold so that you either need to smoke a fuckton more than Diaz did, or smoke it a lot closer to fight time.

Wow! Your logic is astounding? All these years of high profile athletes abusing ped's, party drugs, alcohol would never have been faced with their issues if they had just stayed clean? So simple wish all things in life were just that simple.

It really is that fucking simple. Why even debate whether one got punished more than the other, they broke the rules regardless.

This was also under Kizer, who's a fucking idiot. They have since changed the threshold so that you either need to smoke a fuckton more than Diaz did, or smoke it a lot closer to fight time.

Kizer was still there when they changed it from 50 to 150 ng/ml.

Based on everything that's come to light in the past two days, I don't think the NAC (or MMA) is any better off without Kizer, to be honest.

DANA... bigger hypocrite than Jones

I think the AC looks worse than anyone else in all this mess. They tested Jones for something they should not have and now the whole world knows, as if they are TMZ Laboratories or something.

Then the things they should be concerned about, like several red flags for possible PED usage, they completely ignored.

White and the UFC seem a bit to be trying to cover up the possible PED usage, but it is hard to say until the post test fight results are in. Accusing Jones of PED use then having to back pedal afterwards is something I am sure the UFC is eager to avoid after l'affaire Cung Le. I think we ought to reserve judgment on their actions til then, just as we should for Jones.

The AC on the other hand had ample circumstantial evidence to suspect PED use well prior to the fight, but they seem to have done little to follow up.

We don't know yet. But the cocaine isn't as big of a deal as his suspicious testosterone ratios.

i agree. the coke is a non issue. other than the fact that he's in rehab.

It really is that fucking simple. Why even debate whether one got punished more than the other, they broke the rules regardless.

what rule did jones break (relating to coke)?

It's interesting to see how many people fail to comprehend the wording of a few clearly stated rules.

Just because trace metabolites are present, doesn't mean that marijuana was being used in competition. Trace metabolites have no physiological effect whatsoever. Science confirmed that Diaz's levels were so low as to not have been used in competition.

What's more interesting to me is Diaz specifically cited WADA protocols. In response, the NSAC claimed that they were not bound by WADA. Now, they claim that they are so bound by WADA that even testing for cocaine was an administrative mistake. Quite a reversal.
This shit is fucked up...

also lol @ people assuming having traces of THC, etc in your system = "high in competition".

this is basically the reason, but Dana, the commission, and the fans are all going to move heaven and earth to give Jones his damage control.

"Because on the 3rd saturday of the seventh moon when orion is in the sky, and the cut was pure arm and hammer baking soda at an exact 0.15 ratio, weed is worse than coke!"

The fans? What fans? Did you just join this site because almost everyone here dislikes Jones.

When Diaz got popped for marijuana in his fight against Condit, his levels were so low that it was clear that he had used marijuana out of competition, not in competition. However, the NSAC argued that it didn't matter and that Diaz did an illegal drug, so that he should be punished.

A summary:

Marijuana is currently prohibited for fighters licensed in Nevada according to statute NAC 467.850(2)(f), which includes all prohibited substances on the current Prohibited List published by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). In May and in Thursday's petition, Diaz's legal team argues marijuana is only prohibited "in competition" and adamantly maintain WADA permits use of marijuana and other cannabinoids outside of competition. Nevada's laws, by virtue of using WADA's direction, also permit out of competition use, they contend.

The NSAC ultimately disagreed with Diaz's legal argument last May and found him in violation of the statute.​

So why should Jones be able to get away with the same argument as Diaz for use of cocaine, a much more serious drug? The NSAC acted like even testing for out of competition cocaine was a mistake. Does this mean that people can smoke pot out of competition with impunity now?

because it's not on the world anti doping policy as a banned substance

When Diaz got popped for marijuana in his fight against Condit, his levels were so low that it was clear that he had used marijuana out of competition, not in competition. However, the NSAC argued that it didn't matter and that Diaz did an illegal drug, so that he should be punished.

A summary:

Marijuana is currently prohibited for fighters licensed in Nevada according to statute NAC 467.850(2)(f), which includes all prohibited substances on the current Prohibited List published by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). In May and in Thursday's petition, Diaz's legal team argues marijuana is only prohibited "in competition" and adamantly maintain WADA permits use of marijuana and other cannabinoids outside of competition. Nevada's laws, by virtue of using WADA's direction, also permit out of competition use, they contend.

The NSAC ultimately disagreed with Diaz's legal argument last May and found him in violation of the statute.​

So why should Jones be able to get away with the same argument as Diaz for use of cocaine, a much more serious drug? The NSAC acted like even testing for out of competition cocaine was a mistake. Does this mean that people can smoke pot out of competition with impunity now?

You are completely wrong in your second to last statement.

The shit urine in competition test for a positive result. The shit flawed test showed Diaz coulda been using in competition.

That was the argument and justification for the ban. Shit test. Not a definition of in competition.

Every sherdogger is now a lawyer and knows his trt and drugs.

Especially those bros who read total testosterone levels in bodies off urine samples.

Back