diaz-noons II-break it down

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
thoughts/opinions on the rematch; who do you see winning it, do you see it going differently this time..

Diaz is going to drag Noons to the ground and tap him. 170 is Diaz's world.

Noons just doesn't seem as hungry as he was before, and Diaz is PISSED (as usual). I think Noons has a chance of repeating what happened the first time around (don't see him KOing diaz, he has a hell of a chin) but I see Diaz by sub.

I know Noons beat him handedly before, but I really think Noons has looked great at 155 and should stay there. Diaz is really on fire right now and I see him finishing Noons via arm triangle or RNC.

Diaz is going to drag Noons to the ground and tap him. 170 is Diaz's world.

didnt quite work out that way- once again the jab shows its effectiveness, w/that one weapon diaz limited noons opp to use his explosiveness and flaunt his power; he landed bigger shots, but he couldn't close the distance and he couldn't effectively counter/defend the jab which allowed nick to open up w/those flurries of head and body shots...

if diaz had less of a chin or suspect cardio, he would have been in trouble; but diaz has exceptional ability in both areas and it didn't allow noons to turn the fight around or drag nick into chasing him or pressing and allowing kj to sit back..an pick him apart w/big counters.

Diaz had great timing and accuracy with his jab, though that didn't come as a surprise of course. He had some really nice moments where he could read Noons' head movement and pick him off. But why didn't he throw more knees? Noons came in with his head down a lot... But I suppose Diaz was trying to prove something about his boxing.

Noons looked good and I thought it was a pretty nice technical standup match by MMA standards. In particular he had some good head movement and counters, and had some really nice body shots. He tends to stand a bit tall, especially when he switches stances. He also needs to cut his hair before a fight, LOL.

I enjoyed the fight.

I wouldn't say it was "boxing" by any means. But it was MMA striking done at a higher level of technical skill.

I'm constantly impressed every fight how they just get better and better technically. Diaz bros. boxing used to just be stand and trade, but you can see from this and the Nate Diaz - Marcus Davis fight that they've reallllly started to fight smart.

- for example MUCH better distancing, if you slip one of his pitty patter jabs he doesn't just stand there any more and wait to get clocked, he immediately moves out of range and waits for your big powershot counter before choosing his next move.

Much credit goes to their boxing trainer Rich Perez. That dude is both old school boxing, and legit coach. Both Diaz bros I guarantee would be nothing without Perez, as much as they'd be nothing w/o Cesar Gracie.

O yeah, also something unexpected about this fight was the compustrike stats.

I might be confused and have it flipped, but I think Noons actually threw and landed more overall strikes than Diaz!

Even if I've got it backwards it was VERY close in numbers. Good shit for both and I don't think Noons' stock dropped at all from this loss. I also agree with Sherdog that Woodley-Diaz is a good idea.

is it possible to evade/block knees while having your head as low as noons did?

- for example MUCH better distancing, if you slip one of his pitty patter jabs he doesn't just stand there any more and wait to get clocked, he immediately moves out of range and waits for your big powershot counter before choosing his next move.

In my opinion, Diaz's distancing and control of range was his greatest strength in that fight. Diaz fought a smart stand-up fight and did exactly what you should do against a pressure fighting slugger like Noons. He kept his jab in his face and kept busy when KJ was at range, it forced Noons into lunging and reaching trying to over commit to his offense.... Then he would tag him with 1 or 2 good hard counters on his way in, grab on to him and dirty box or knee him, he never really let Noons get set and throw shots in the pocket, kept him chasing. I think Diaz's lack of concern of the take-down let him really fight taller and take full advantage of that reach.

Another Thing Diaz did that i thought was very effective and smart in this particular fight is constantly grab at Noons wrist and forearms while he was at range, using wrist control and that long reach to disrupt KJ's timing and really nullified his jab. Diaz's lack of concern of being taken down made that a great strategy, he knew KJ wanted to box and had been training and competing in boxing consistently. But in boxing your not having your wrist grabbed and held in exchanges, I think it really frustrated KJ and was one of those nuances that separate MMA striking vs. Boxing or pure striking. Diaz would grab his wrist stand up tall and as KJ tryed to free or pull his wrist/arm free, Diaz would just let go and let KJ pull the hand away, then pop shot him right over the top as he pulled his hand free.... really smart in my opinion and it obviously frustrated KJ into over committing and lunging allot. I was impressed with KJ's body work though, he did punch to the body pretty well, Diaz just never let him get his feet set enough to really dig in to any of those shots.

is it possible to evade/block knees while having your head as low as noons did?

Yep, move your face away from the knee flying at it! or put a forearm in front of your face to block the knee........ or just block it with your face (not recommended)

Last edited:
I might be confused and have it flipped, but I think Noons actually threw and landed more overall strikes than Diaz!

No, you're right, Noons actually outstruck Diaz by quite a bit... He landed like 50% more punches throughout the fight.

Of course, punch distribution and effectiveness matter, and in this case I agree that Diaz still won the fight overall.

I much prefer orthodox Diaz to southpaw Diaz, though I was disappointed that Noons didn't weave his way to the inside the way he did in the first bout. In the instances when Noons found himself on the inside, it was because Diaz just let him in before clinching, posting up, or stepping back after a brief exchange.

I much prefer orthodox Diaz to southpaw Diaz, though I was disappointed that Noons didn't weave his way to the inside the way he did in the first bout. In the instances when Noons found himself on the inside, it was because Diaz just let him in before clinching, posting up, or stepping back after a brief exchange.

Me too, orthodox Diaz doesn't get smacked with counter right hands whenever he squares up with that straight left

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back