Diabetes, Obesity and Processed Food

That doesn't necessarily mean it's genetic, it could be to do with the make up of your gut microbiome (see posts above).

Interestingly, much of our gut biome is passed from our parents/environment but that doesn't equal heredity (genetics).

If you referring to my gut bacteria, it's not good due to heavy antibiotic use in my late teens and early 20s. Although you are probably rwferr8ng to something else since insulin absorbtion happens at the cell level.

Interesting thread.

Generally my diet is good but what do you guys think of biltong as a snack? It's not like that nasty sugar loaded processed jerky.

Screenshot_20181207-102952.jpg

Now THAT website is pure woo. They even have a bit on candida, which is the scam of yesteryear.
Cancers can grow from fat and protein as well. The study noted does not prove that sugar "causes" cancer. Being overweight or obese, which can be a consequence of eating too much sugar (as well as too much everything) can be a risk factor. The link is indirect.

About 3-4 years ago I made a huge effort to cut out all canned\frozen foods. I used to eat frozen burritos, pizzas, canned beans. Now I only eat frozen broccoli and I'm thinking of cutting that out soon as well.

Frozen food is not necessarily bad. If you freeze a bunch of carrots after your Sunday batch cooking, that's pretty all right.
Same with canned food, although it's not as convenient and needs a little know-how.

Pre-navy I would teach 2 karate classes followed by an MMA class.

Before class BK chicken sandwich meal, between each class a bottle of mt.dew and after the MMA class another bottle of mt.dew.

It was glorious.

I can't make a thread yet so I'll ask here. How many of you eat organic? I know a guy whose whole family eats nothing but organic foods. It's very expensive, but I think it's probably worth it. Antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, preservatives, artificial flavors, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup. Who needs that in their life? Whst do you think?

I can't make a thread yet so I'll ask here. How many of you eat organic? I know a guy whose whole family eats nothing but organic foods. It's very expensive, but I think it's probably worth it. Antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, preservatives, artificial flavors, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup. Who needs that in their life? Whst do you think?
You can avoid all those things without necessarily eating ONLY organic. It's good that we have a choice tho.

You can avoid all those things without necessarily eating ONLY organic. It's good that we have a choice tho.
If you want meat free of antibiotics and hormones and produce free of pesticides don't you need to eat organic?

Your post accurately outlines what the average person believes about organic farming. It's not all sunshine and unicorns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_farming#Disadvantages

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But, being informed to the pros and cons of organic food will help you make a better choice that will suit you needs and lifestyle.

Your post accurately outlines what the average person believes about organic farming. It's not all sunshine and unicorns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_farming#Disadvantages

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. But, being informed to the pros and cons of organic food will help you make a better choice that will suit you needs and lifestyle.
What cons are you personally referring to from the wikipedia article you linked? It mentioned that organic farming is potentially worse for the environment? That sounds like hogwash. You know that any person can go edit a wikepedia page, right? I wouldn't be surprised if the major food companies had reps purposefully spreading misinformation downplaying the benefits of an organic diet.

I can't help but shake my head when I go to a lower tier grocery store like Ralphs and see them selling Hormel 'natural' bacon. These creeps are bragging about hormone free bacon. From my understanding, it's against the law to give hormones to pigs. Of course, they don't mention a word about antibiotics. Dishonest creeps.

GUEST_6247fc52-15e7-4264-b359-a39703f00839.jpeg.jpg

I know that not all brands bearing the organic label are the same. For example, you can grow produce on soil that could be tainted with harmful chemicals or heavy metals and still qualify for the organic label. It's important to research the companies and farmers you purchase your food from.

That said, I know that I personally feel better since I've started eating more organic foods. It makes sense.

I watched the 'what the health' documentary, it's got some interesting stuff even though it's a bit of a vegan propaganda overall:

But it got me into wanting to eat less processed meat and less dairy, and instead focus on more vegetable based meals.

Back