Diabetes, Obesity and Processed Food

We had a local hockey player who swore on the low carb diet, and thought it made him "feel better". It may have, his perception is his perception. However, after his coaches were noticing he was doing poorly in his performance they pulled him aside. They asked him some questions, and a doctor at the local university narrowed it down to him restricting the carbs in his diet. When they got him on a more balanced diet his performance went back up.

Myself have went on a low carb diet. Did so in attempts to cut weight for boxing. I sparred at the end of the week, and I could not produce anything explosive in my movements. I was slow, and had weak response times, and poor reflexes. Same thing, when I put carbs back into my diet, my performance went back up. My intensity went back up.

Carbs are needed for high intensity activity. I've heard about this, I've read about this, and I've experienced this. There needs to be more research done to ketogenic diets. However, the data on hand seems to show that you are right in saying they may not serve athletes well.

I've had the same experience over many years and in many different sports. I also work with a very qualified sports dietitian who swears by the same: reasonable amounts of carbohydrate relative to activity level and energy system demands. The research on low-carb diets often looks purely at weight loss, which is ALWAYS going to be more impressive as carbohydrates hold water in your muscles, making you weigh in heavier than if you depleted glycogen. That doesn't mean that weight is fat!

In fighting sports, for the vast majority of athletes, low carb is only useful for a temporary depletion to make weight. In ANY sport, just about, things like keto or lower-carb eating are performed cyclically, with carbs added back in around competitions that require peak performance.

Also, the insulin hypothesis of weight gain is vastly oversimplified. It is absolutely possible to gain fat eating a ketogenic diet, as well--just look at Jimmy Moore (lmao).

weird that such an important topic after two months doesnt have that many replies but some nonsense threads continually get pages n pages of people posting in them lol

thanks for making this thread! I just came across it for the first time. I recently have given up all dairy and most breads/gluten, processed sugars and cigs...life is good, fruit is great...I still have a few meat dishes thru the week tho...I might eventually wean that off

all disease starts in the gut!

try to eat foods that dont have a list of ingredients

stress can be as bad or worse for you than the food you eat, dont stress out over your diet!

they switch it up what exactly is healthy and what is not, dont go crazy trying to keep up with the latest, greatest.....

you know what is good or bad essentially...stick to that! all the labeling and marketing is rigged against us.

if man made it....you probably dont want to put that in your body

you can fuel your car on shit fuel and it will still run...still get you where you need to go, your car will perform like shit however...a reflection of what you fueled it with....and eventually it will break down because of it

your body is your car...it takes you places...food is your fuel...your body's performance WILL reflect what grade of energy you fueled it with

eat organic as much as possible!!! ((the labeling is a sham and a lie, the organic industry is owned and controlled by the same people that run non organic foods...you cant believe labeling .....but! you do have to aim as high as possible.... and even if its only slightly better...better is the better option))

Last edited:
I've had the same experience over many years and in many different sports. I also work with a very qualified sports dietitian who swears by the same: reasonable amounts of carbohydrate relative to activity level and energy system demands. The research on low-carb diets often looks purely at weight loss, which is ALWAYS going to be more impressive as carbohydrates hold water in your muscles, making you weigh in heavier than if you depleted glycogen. That doesn't mean that weight is fat!

In fighting sports, for the vast majority of athletes, low carb is only useful for a temporary depletion to make weight. In ANY sport, just about, things like keto or lower-carb eating are performed cyclically, with carbs added back in around competitions that require peak performance.

Also, the insulin hypothesis of weight gain is vastly oversimplified. It is absolutely possible to gain fat eating a ketogenic diet, as well--just look at Jimmy Moore (lmao).

Yeah, and high levels of ketones in the body have been reported as being dangerous, acting as a poison. It can lead to ketoacidosis.

It makes sense that those with a restricted carb diet may feel fatigue or have reduced intensity levels, considering that ketosis comes from fat utilized as energy. Fats take longer to oxidize. Carbs are there for immediate high intensity activities.

I agree, that most of the thoughts for doing it probably stem from weight loss, and body composition. However, for performance, I think it hard to argue against needing carbs to perform optimally.

In any case, people need to consult a physician before going on any "fad diet". I personally subscribe to portion control and exercise. I don't restrict any macros. I try to keep it balanced, and eat whole foods while living an active lifestyle. Working for me so far. lol

Side note --- I have heard ketones lead to bad breath.

Someone give me general list of what a processed food is? Is pasta, and rice processed foods?

I dont eat any snacks, but I do like to eat out a lot. However, I eat quality Italian, French, Japanese, and spanish restaurants. And ok I eat Panda Express every now and then. Is Panda Express processed?

Is BK, McDs, and Wendy's processed? What about mashed potatos? I also eat at diners alot, but I feel the diners are very high quality. I eat their steaks, chicken dishes with soup, and salad in the beginning.

What about those bottled iced teas like good brew, pure leaf? Is carton/bottled milk processed foods?

We had a local hockey player who swore on the low carb diet, and thought it made him "feel better". It may have, his perception is his perception. However, after his coaches were noticing he was doing poorly in his performance they pulled him aside. They asked him some questions, and a doctor at the local university narrowed it down to him restricting the carbs in his diet. When they got him on a more balanced diet his performance went back up.

Myself have went on a low carb diet. Did so in attempts to cut weight for boxing. I sparred at the end of the week, and I could not produce anything explosive in my movements. I was slow, and had weak response times, and poor reflexes. Same thing, when I put carbs back into my diet, my performance went back up. My intensity went back up.

Carbs are needed for high intensity activity. I've heard about this, I've read about this, and I've experienced this. There needs to be more research done to ketogenic diets. However, the data on hand seems to show that you are right in saying they may not serve athletes well.
I believe there is a huge placebo effect at play in the majority of cases where a person makes a relatively drastic change to their diet and reports feeling great. Its like once you are convinced of the logic and/or science behind it you are setting yourself up to perceive what you anticipate and hope to perceive. I think it even goes beyond perception much of the time. To the point where your labs and diagnostics would confirm that you are indeed healthy. And I don't mean to cheapen the impact of the diet I just believe that mindset is extremely powerful.

I believe there is a huge placebo effect at play in the majority of cases where a person makes a relatively drastic change to their diet and reports feeling great. Its like once you are convinced of the logic and/or science behind it you are setting yourself up to perceive what you anticipate and hope to perceive. I think it even goes beyond perception much of the time. To the point where your labs and diagnostics would confirm that you are indeed healthy. And I don't mean to cheapen the impact of the diet I just believe that mindset is extremely powerful.

I'm not in the field, but I think those involved with sports psychology would agree with you. Makes a lot of sense. The mind is very powerful.

So I only have one real meal today. I went out for French cuisine. I had some white bread in the beginning, then foie gras appetizer. But there is a like a sauteed peach, and two pieces of french toast with that. Then for main, I had a half roasted chicken, with fingerling potatos, and sauteed spinach.

Is this bad or good? It tastes good, but I mean for my health. I went to play hockey after like 3 hrs. I guess I want to try and burn some off. But I had not played in a while, so my endurance was shot. I did not last long and left game early.

So I only have one real meal today. I went out for French cuisine. I had some white bread in the beginning, then foie gras appetizer. But there is a like a sauteed peach, and two pieces of french toast with that. Then for main, I had a half roasted chicken, with fingerling potatos, and sauteed spinach.

Is this bad or good? It tastes good, but I mean for my health. I went to play hockey after like 3 hrs. I guess I want to try and burn some off. But I had not played in a while, so my endurance was shot. I did not last long and left game early.

First of all, you probably shouldn't work out to try to "burn off" food. You also can't judge the healthfulness of your eating on one meal in isolation. It's all to do with your habitual diet and exercise patterns, and it seems like you are not terribly consistent.

Try to establish habits that can support regularly effective performance. Train frequently, eat consistently and mostly home-prepared, simple food, and you'll be fine. You might also want to track macronutrients and see which combinations of carbs/protein/fat work best for you. For me, low-fat, high-protein, medium-carb seems best, but everyone is different.

First of all, you probably shouldn't work out to try to "burn off" food. You also can't judge the healthfulness of your eating on one meal in isolation. It's all to do with your habitual diet and exercise patterns, and it seems like you are not terribly consistent.

Try to establish habits that can support regularly effective performance. Train frequently, eat consistently and mostly home-prepared, simple food, and you'll be fine. You might also want to track macronutrients and see which combinations of carbs/protein/fat work best for you. For me, low-fat, high-protein, medium-carb seems best, but everyone is different.

I am not eating to optimize athletic performance. I just want to know is there anything wrong with meal I just described. Is it processed food that I ate? I do eat meals like that consistently. But every now and then I like to change it up. But when I do eat a meal like I described its usually only meal of day.

Someone give me general list of what a processed food is? Is pasta, and rice processed foods?

I dont eat any snacks, but I do like to eat out a lot. However, I eat quality Italian, French, Japanese, and spanish restaurants. And ok I eat Panda Express every now and then. Is Panda Express processed?

Is BK, McDs, and Wendy's processed? What about mashed potatos? I also eat at diners alot, but I feel the diners are very high quality. I eat their steaks, chicken dishes with soup, and salad in the beginning.

What about those bottled iced teas like good brew, pure leaf? Is carton/bottled milk processed foods?
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/what-are-processed-foods/

Rule of thumb: anything that has a label / more than 1 ingredient is processed food. Anything that has added sugar and artificial flavors / coloring is the worst kind of processed food.

Pasta is indeed classified as processed food but if the only ingredients are durum wheat and water then it's not that bad. Rice is not processed food (as long as it is just rice, not a rice-based meal in a can).

I'm not familiar with Panda Express but generally any fast food restaurant is going to serve processed food. BK, McDs, and Wendy's are among the worst.

Mashed potatoes are fine if you make them yourself from real potatoes. But a mashed potato mix is a whole different story! Check out the ingredients:
potatoes, vegetable oil (sunflower, coconut), corn syrup solids, salt, maltodextrin, nonfat dry milk, sugar, sodium caseinate, sweet cream, mono and diglycerides, spice, calcium stearoyl lactylate, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavors, dipotassium phosphate, artificial color, and less than 2% silicon dioxide as an anti-caking agent. Freshness preserved by sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bisulfite, citric acid and mixed tocopherols
source: https://idahoanfoodservice.com/products/bistro-mashed-potato-mix/

Corn syrup and maltodextrin are also added sugars so you basically have sugar x3 in that mix, as well as artificial color and artificial flavors. Horrible.

Diners can vary in terms of food quality but they generally will still use/serve processed food since it's cheaper, faster and more convenient.

Bottled ice teas are very bad, since they usually contain A LOT of added sugar, artificial sweeteners and coloring.

Carton/bottled milk is fine, again, as long as it is pure milk with nothing added.

I hope I've answered all your questions. Let me know if you need any other advice.

PS. The best way to avoid processed food is to cook! :)

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/what-are-processed-foods/

Rule of thumb: anything that has a label / more than 1 ingredient is processed food. Anything that has added sugar and artificial flavors / coloring is the worst kind of processed food.

Pasta is indeed classified as processed food but if the only ingredients are durum wheat and water then it's not that bad. Rice is not processed food (as long as it is just rice, not a rice-based meal in a can).

I'm not familiar with Panda Express but generally any fast food restaurant is going to serve processed food. BK, McDs, and Wendy's are among the worst.

Mashed potatoes are fine if you make them yourself from real potatoes. But a mashed potato mix is a whole different story! Check out the ingredients:

source: https://idahoanfoodservice.com/products/bistro-mashed-potato-mix/

Corn syrup and maltodextrin are also added sugars so you basically have sugar x3 in that mix, as well as artificial color and artificial flavors. Horrible.

Diners can vary in terms of food quality but they generally will still use/serve processed food since it's cheaper, faster and more convenient.

Bottled ice teas are very bad, since they usually contain A LOT of added sugar, artificial sweeteners and coloring.

Carton/bottled milk is fine, again, as long as it is pure milk with nothing added.

I hope I've answered all your questions. Let me know if you need any other advice.

PS. The best way to avoid processed food is to cook! :)

Artificial flavors and colorings are basically what? Do they have any nutritional value? Or are they straight up industrial chemicals that just damage the body?

Artificial flavors and colorings are basically what? Do they have any nutritional value? Or are they straight up industrial chemicals that just damage the body?

The effects of most artificial flavors and colorings are neutral, but they do artificially induce appetite and make it hard to stop eating (too much of) whatever they're in. Basically they're trying to mimic the sweetness of fruit or etc. but they don't have the vitamins and minerals of whole foods. So--not that food additives are so bad (some can be)--but that they displace more nutritious food in your diet.

GSP’s doctor, Jason Fung, apparently has made a breakthrough treating diabetes with just fasting. I personally healed my own significant digestive issues by fasting. Im starting to think it’s really the miracle cure we’ve been looking for. Apparently when you allow your body to enter a fasting state the cells are finally not being stressed, and now free to do “spring cleaning”. Religions did not practice fasting just cause, and that is the hidden secret.
Could you elaborate a bit more on how fasting healed your digestive issues? I'm experiencing my own issues currently and I'm working withy doctor to figure it out but so far the only things that have dramarically helped my stomach are pro-biotics and fasting.

Like I was at school today and I simply could not eat until around 6pm and I was fine all day.

Could you elaborate a bit more on how fasting healed your digestive issues? I'm experiencing my own issues currently and I'm working withy doctor to figure it out but so far the only things that have dramarically helped my stomach are pro-biotics and fasting.

Like I was at school today and I simply could not eat until around 6pm and I was fine all day.
If your body is like mine, then you have been abusing it for the last decade or so. That means it needs to undergo a period of healing. I started with only eating bone broth and fruits, veggies, fish and water/tea, and then just bone broth, and then water only. Start meditating...concentrate and believe your emotional state is one of the primary indicators of your health state. Your attitude about the future is critical. Stop living in doubt and worry and fear. Start to allow yourself to be more loving.

If your body is like mine, then you have been abusing it for the last decade or so. That means it needs to undergo a period of healing. I started with only eating bone broth and fruits, veggies, fish and water/tea, and then just bone broth, and then water only. Start meditating...concentrate and believe your emotional state is one of the primary indicators of your health state. Your attitude about the future is critical. Stop living in doubt and worry and fear. Start to allow yourself to be more loving.
{<huh}<[analyzed}>

I see some guys mentioning fasting, I am ending my 24 day water only fast tomorrow. I was 82 kgs and this morning weighed at 69kgs. I wasn't doing it for the weight loss, but for health reasons. Apparently your body creates stem cell when one fasts for a while and then heals your body in priority order.

They have no nutritional value and may be harmful.
While food additives must pass a range of safety tests, some substances are topic of ongoing discussion due to their possible harmful effects. Some health risks related to the consumption of artificial food additives include:
  • allergic reactions and food hypersensitivity
  • worsening of asthmatic symptoms
  • abdominal pain, diarrhoea and vomiting
Growing attention has been focused on a group of food colorings called the azo-dyes, which are commonly used to add bright colors to edible products. After consumption the chemical substances contained in azo-dyes are metabolised by the intestinal bacteria in a chain of reactions, and then become a source of potentially carcinogenic products. However, the clinical effects depend on the amount of coloring ingested, which typically is of negligible amount, and the azo-dyes tend to be poorly absorbed into the blood stream as well. New toxicity concerns have been found, however, in the use of certain colorants due to their ability to bind to human serum albumin.

Furthermore, concern is being raised as to a possible link between food additives and neurological development, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children. A number of large studies have been performed worldwide to explore the possible relationship between food colorings and ADHD in children (in years 2004, 2007 and 2012), but no conclusive evidence had been found to date. However, a study performed in 2012 has found evidence that children with ADHD show significant improvement when the amount of food colorant in their diet is restricted.
https://www.news-medical.net/health/Are-Artificial-Food-Flavors-and-Colorings-Harmful.aspx

And contrary to what they want you to believe, artificial sweeteners (which replace sugar) do not prevent obesity. In fact, they can make it worse!

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...eners-linked-to-obesity-warn-researchers.aspx
http://theconversation.com/artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-diabetes-and-obesity-95314
https://theconversation.com/artificial-sweeteners-may-make-you-fat-93452
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...ificial-sweeteners-linked-to-diabetes-obesity
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29159583
Although artificial sweeteners were developed as a sugar substitute to help reduce insulin resistance and obesity, data in both animal models and humans suggest that the effects of artificial sweeteners may contribute to metabolic syndrome and the obesity epidemic. Artificial sweeteners appear to change the host microbiome, lead to decreased satiety, and alter glucose homeostasis, and are associated with increased caloric consumption and weight gain.

I see some guys mentioning fasting, I am ending my 24 day water only fast tomorrow. I was 82 kgs and this morning weighed at 69kgs. I wasn't doing it for the weight loss, but for health reasons. Apparently your body creates stem cell when one fasts for a while and then heals your body in priority order.
Fasting is literally “ what the medical industry doesn’t want you to know about”

Back