DHK long interview on his KO over Erick Silva : "The plan was constant pressure."

Hufusopem

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
iic3O30POCBT5.gif

----

Congratulations on your victory. Can you tell us how you feel?

I am overjoyed. I have always fought “away games”, but as everyone knows Brazil is a whole another thing. I was worried a lot and felt some serious pressure. I heard the boos all the way in my locker room. I realize if I don’t make my heart strong, I would be in big trouble. I worked so hard on that aspect and was able to be at my mentally strongest entering the cage.

Coach Yang Sung Hoon actually revealed to us before the fight that you would show a whole different style. Even we could not predict it would be this different.

We had a lot of debates about what our strategy was going to be. Coach realized that Erick Silva was strongest at a distance. Basically, that Silva was best when opponents are trying to move away and he closes the distance very well. I would be in danger if I stood still so the plan was constant pressure and more pressure. The whole strategy was move forward. I would close the distance and wait to time my counter. Silva is also strong early. I was to gas him out in the 1st round. This victory was all because of the strategy.
It was good to see you so aggressive, but some of the initial exchanges were dangerous.

I could have stuck on him more, but I realized a grappling heavy strategy would not work. He obviously trained the clinch a lot and his scrambling abilities were very good. I realized in my current condition I was going to gas out if I grappled. I decided to keep going for the clinch, but not be too stubborn with getting an actual takedown.

You did not use what you are most famous for, the timing takedown.

Honestly, even right before the fight I started to doubt the pressure strategy. I even contemplated to just go for timing tackles. But watching Erick Silva’s workout I realized it was too risky because he was very good at countering takedowns with strikes. This was a strategy I never used before. I just trusted my coach 100%.
Can you explain the counter punch that knocked out Erick Silva?
I practiced that punch so many times in training. It’s imperative to slip your head when throwing that punch to deflect the angle of the opponent’s punch. I trained it so much that I saw the timing for it perfectly, and it was as if I was in practice again.

Did you erase all the criticism you got for being a boring fighter with that knockout?

Honestly, I am not an entertaining fighter. I don’t even watch my own fights (laughs). I just watch my fights until I get a takedown then I turn it off. I won 8 times, but I would just get cursed at after my wins. The reaction from this fight is amazing. I hear there is a lot of excitement, not just in South Korea but also America. I feel more proud of this win than my 8 other wins combined.

What did you think of Erick Silva?

First, he is a great person. At the weigh-ins and after the fight he kept tapping my back and talking to me very pleasantly. He even came to me first and told me it was a great fight. I actually felt sorry. I don’t think my last hammer fist was necessary.

How did if feel to finally knock someone out in the UFC?

I don’t know. My opponents usually block my punches when I try to throw hard. I just threw this punch naturally and it landed right on the button. I just saw him disappearing after I hit him. I did not know he was hurt that badly. I even thought to myself if I don’t take him out now, I will lose this fight. I felt sorry for him when I saw the replay.

Did the recent cut of Yushin Okami influence the way you fought?

The strategy was mostly to achieve victory, but I would be dishonest if I said the cut didn’t affect me. My mind was very complicated after hearing about the cut. I actually thought maybe it was time to retire and end my career.

Did you expect a bonus? It would have been nice if you got two.

I am happy with just one. I always wanted to get one of those. When you fight in the UFC for 6 years; this kind of thing even happens (laughs). I was really happy to get the bonus, but there are too many taxes in Brazil. I think I was taxed around 50,000 $.

We know you had a serious injury coming into this fight. How was your condition?

I injured my neck very badly grappling and injured it more in Japan. I went to Japan because I had already bought the flight tickets, but I couldn’t even really train because I was in so much pain. I was mostly rehabbing my neck and just trained my striking. I was very stressed out.
How about your participation in ADCC ?

Joe Silva already gave me permission to compete at ADCC. I need to go see a doctor first because of my neck. Right now, I plan to participate but I will have to go to South Korea and figure everything out. There is some pressure because I will probably compete in the 88kg class.

-----
FULL REALLY LONG INTERVIEW HERE + reference- http://cormma.com/dong-hyun-kim-i-feel-more-proud-of-this-win-than-my-8-other-wins-combined/

Honestly, I am not an entertaining fighter. I don’t even watch my own fights (laughs).

I wasn’t thinking about winning. I was thinking either I die or you die. I knew there were no real exciting fights before mine and I knew the Maia vs Shields fight would be boring.

Lmao his interviews are always honest and funny. :icon_lol:

Last edited:
He's just become one of my favourite fighters.

thanks. I hope he's able to compete at ADCC.

Lol @ Maia Shields would be boring. Great guy and attitude seems healthy as well.

The guy's humility is really ingratiating.

Man, that left was a sledge hammer.

I don't even watch my own fights made me LOL.

He should be careful with the constant pressure approach imo. He doesnt have the cardio to use this strategy.

Haha, DHK is awesome.

Yeah, I knew that punch wasn't a "lucky" punch.

Thank you for posting the interview!

Dong is actually a pretty chill dude. Lol @ the interview. and him training that counter punch proves it wasnt luck.

thanks for posting, I read the full interview and it was worth it

I really do love this dude more and more with each interview. I've always been a fan of his sense a humor. He just seems all around like a good fella.

WTF he got taxed 50k? how much did he get paid for this fight, 300k?

lmao at I know I am boring "I don't even watch my own fights after it hits the ground" :p

Back