Dexter's IBJJF Chicago videos and thoughts(long)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jdonw, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

I competed this weekend with several teammates from GRBJJ(Clint Crabtree), and got to meet up with the other Carlson Gracie Team schools from the Chicago area. My first impressions were that the tournament was very well run until the white belt divisions. The order of the tournament went blue-black belt divisions, the white belts, then open weights. I think by the time the white belt divisions started it had already been a hectic day and the divisions were so massive it is hard to keep them completely organized. This combined with many competitors leaving a scratching the open weight division made the open weight bracketing a bit of a mess. I can't say I blame IBJJF for the mess, I understand some of the difficulties in running large divisions and large tournaments, so it didn't dampen my spirits too much.

My division was adult Blue Belt Pesado(194.5-207.5). I was on weight for weeks and weighed in at 199lbs after eating a crappy hotel breakfast and drinking whatever I wanted in the morning.

Match 1:
    I got a bye in the first round and didn't see my opponent's match. My plan was stand and work for a takedown unless he felt like he had good stand up.

I had mentioned earlier in the weekend I hadn't clock choked anybody in awhile but it came back natural.

Match 2:
    I saw this guy's previous match and saw he had a lackadaisical stand up and stood straight up when his opponent disengaged. Prior to the start of the video I stepped in and out so he stood straight up then grabbed a deep collar grip and collar dragged him into side control. I am disappointed I couldn't submit him, but I have been working a lot on my top control and not giving up position for submission. I was also happy with the communication between me and my coach, you might notice that I look into the stand several times and talk to him when I don't understand his instructions.

Match 3 Finals:
    This guy I saw easily pass his previous opponent's guard when he didn't get his closed guard establish, and looked like he had decent stand up. I again go for a collar drag and feel that he'll fight for the top. Not being confident in takedowns and wanting to avoid being down points I jump guard. Eventually I get the omoplata sweep which is one of my go to moves and I'm surprised I didn't get one of the armlocks I go to from that position. Once I got to the triangle I take the arm and extend it until I hear it pop.

2. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

I'd also like to share some thoughts on training for the tournament and my thoughts on affiliation.

Carlson Gracie Team placed 2nd in team standings and I'm proud to be a part of that team. I know some affiliations are very loose nit and don't really care about other gyms in their affiliation, but I've gone out of my way to try to be a part of the greater association. I've gotten to train at the Carlson Jr. Chicago school, and Carlson Gracie Naperville, it was nice running into these guys again and see each other compete and in many cases win. It is awesome to help prepare somebody for a tournament and see them win, and get to thank them for helping you prepare when you win. There were 5 others from my school that competed, and I made sure to try to watch them and help them win, but there's a lot of downtime that it is nice to have a larger family to support at the tournament.

Training: After visiting the Carlson Gracie schools around Chicago in June, I saw a clear need to step up my training. So on Saturdays wrestleben and myself decided to turn our school's open mat into competition training, consisting of about 1:40 or 8-10min round of positional king of the mat with 1 guy in for every 2-3 people resting. This is an exhausting game to play and definitely improved my game and forced me into many uncomfortable positions that I was forced to improve on. We also took a weekend trip to Carlson Gracie Naperville to join their competition class where I got to roll hard for a 1:30 class from every position with a tough purple belt(Anthony aka Big Mistake(Master's Purple double gold)). Taking training seriously and making the right changes to the training intensity was a definite edge for this competition over my last one. I also see big gains for my teammates from it too, some of which didn't compete but still took the time to support and push those of us that were competing.

3. BJJ in Chicago

BJJ in Chicago Livin' la vida bomba

Trying desperately to learn the berimbolo
    great writeup jeff. and really nice footage. i'd love to have quality footage like that of my matches. why didn't you compete in the absolute?

4. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

He fought in the absolute. He won his first match and got caught in the next match which would have put him in the semifinals.

I agree, it's really nice to have match footage. It's helpful to run through your mistakes and see how different strategies pan out.

5. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

I beat a rooster weight in my first absolute match, I didn't feel right posting me using my size to crush him. I then got triangled because I had a brain fart in my next match. I also don't have any good video of that loss. I'm not opposed to posting my embarrassing losses, I just don't have the video.

6. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Thanks Mirko. Staff Member Forum Administrator

Why would a lab geek need advanced Jiu-Jitsu?

7. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Good call :D

8. closequarters

closequarters Purple Belt

Looks like you two had a good weekend. Congrats on the W's.

9. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

TTT for Dexter, master of the clock choke

10. BJJ in Chicago

BJJ in Chicago Livin' la vida bomba

Trying desperately to learn the berimbolo
    man i never get the freaking clock choke. nobody ever attacks it in my gym.

11. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

I actually think, just for a second, that Michel C. Hall (Dexter's tv show star) was competing in the Ibjjf Chicago tournament (he used the mata leao once or twice so it would have make kinda sense :icon_chee ).

Regardless of my nonsense, good work!

12. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

I was actually taught it by Jorge Gurgel's first black belt Jon Stutzman. I was told it was a "dead" move by Jorge at his next seminar. I then choked out one of his blue belts at his in house tournament and have submitted somebody with it in every tournament since. It's so simple to go for attacking the turtle, people get more worried about blocking the pass points than protecting the collar in that transition.

13. Ninjamurf

Ninjamurf Handing out lollipops for over 3 decades

Here, here! No way I'm rolling with Dexter. That guy's a straight up serial killer!!!