Dexter

42 this year. Jesus, I'm going to be 50 when my new kid celebrates his or her 8th birthday. When did I get so old?

prepare to be let down

giphy.gif

TS after you quit Dexter in S4, pick BB back up.

Watch all of it. I was meh about season 5 and 6 (they weren't bad, just nothing really great when compared to previous seasons), loved season 7 (I rank it above 3 and below 1,2,4) and hated season 8. Seasons 1-4 are amazing though.

Season 1-4 are awesome.

I implore you to stop there.

dexter season 1-4, and 7 are great .. skip 5, 6 and definitely 8 theres a reason that dexter usually tops the lists for worst series finales of all time

ive recently binged some shows and think these would be worthwhile

boardwalk empire (sooo underrated)
fargo (really great)
westworld

cant believe u didn't like breaking bad, it really is a well done series (don't know if it has much rewatchability though)

Thus far, you're the only person that's advised watching the entire thing. I'm inclined to take your advice, given that I won't be short of time in the future...

One to four are brilliant.
Five was pretty good.
Six is bad.
Seven and eight are garbage.

In fact, season eight is so bad it feels like it's just making fun of itself.

Breaking bad is better.

Can't remember exactly what seasons but dexter had a good 3 seasons that sucked major dink. Show should have ended way sooner.

it's very formulaic. every season has the same arch - Dexter tries to become more human via having a relationship with someone 'that really understands him' - ie a person that knows his secrets and doesn't turn away. Each relationship ends poorly, as he opines about how that person has given him insight in his journey to become human. I liked the first four seasons, but imo it went to dogshit after that.

1. brother
2. lover
3. friend
4. mentor
5. protegee
6. spirituality (God)

etc

and it has quite possibly the worst series finale I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Watch all of it. I was meh about season 5 and 6 (they weren't bad, just nothing really great when compared to previous seasons), loved season 7 (I rank it above 3 and below 1,2,4) and hated season 8. Seasons 1-4 are amazing though.

200.gif

As others have already said seasons 1 - 4 are awesome tv. After that its not so good. I gave up on it after the season 6 finale.

If you finish Dexter but not BB then you should feel bad about yourself.

Ah, I remember having the exact same optimism as you when I first started watching Dexter, TS. I believe it was season 4 that it had peaked, causing my brain to go in to overdrive proclaiming to myself that this indeed is one the best series of all times.

Then season 5, 6 and 8 happened. Everything about the show was tainted thanks to those god awful seasons. The finale being probably the worst in TV history.

Quick google - too young for me. Maybe 20 years ago

I enjoyed every season.

There were certain side stories that sometimes ended abruptly (as if the writers decided to no longer pursue it).

That's my only gripe. It's obvious that not every season would be equally good.

Yeah, Dexter would have been one of the best shows of all time if it ended at season 4, but it didn't.

As others have said, watch the rest of Breaking Bad. If you want something else to watch try:

Boardwalk Empire
The Fall
Boss
House of Cards
Fargo
True Detective (Season 1)
Halt and Catch Fire
Better Caul Saul
Homeland
Westworld
Peaky Blinders
Narcos