Dexter vs Breaking Bad

Dexter was very good and refreshing in the first few seasons, I thought it was awesome. I am a big fan of Breaking bad, but I think it's a bit overrated. I mean BB can't hold the fucking jockstrap of shows like the Sopranos, the shield.

Seasons 1-4 were half as good as Breaking Bad.

Yes, that is a compliment, BB is the best ever.

But seasons 4-8 were shit, for the most part.

The first four seasons were great, not as good as Breaking Bad, but really great.

Every season that followed was worse the the one previous.

By the end, it was just a huge joke.

Dexter is the finest example of a TV show that long over stayed its welcome. That show should have ended 3-4 years ago. The producers and writers wanted to milk every last drop and by the time they finished, it was a dry and barren piece of garbage.

That being said, I truly enjoyed the first few seasons of the show but even at its prime, it's still a piece of crap compared to BrBa.

Season 1 of Dexter was a fun story, nothing mind-blowing. Everything after that was unnecessary, it doesn't feel like it should have been more than the first season. Later seasons are phenomenally bad.

The first four seasons were great, not as good as Breaking Bad, but really great.

Every season that followed was worse the the one previous.

By the end, it was just a huge joke.
Pretty damn much.
However, I will stand by my earlier comment that the introduction of Vogel was very good. They botched it soon after but a very worthwhile character introduction.

Pretty damn much.
However, I will stand by my earlier comment that the introduction of Vogel was very good. They botched it soon after but a very worthwhile character introduction.

Really? You don't think she was just some cliche "evil psychologist", whose presence was not only unnecessary, but completely pissed on the backstory of Dexter and his father?

The first two seasons of Dexter are really good imo.

Really? You don't think she was just some cliche "evil psychologist", whose presence was not only unnecessary, but completely pissed on the backstory of Dexter and his father?
No I didn't. I thought it fit well with the conflict that Dexter's dad had with what he was teaching Dexter to do. Vogel's insistence (wrong I think) that Dexter couldn't really love and that none of his own feelings for others were real also fit with his Dad's "ghost" and what he'd said throughout the show.

Honestly it was the best thing they'd introduced since the Lithgow season.

dexters first few seasons were as good as breaking bad

Dexter started out cool. Breaking Bad was consistently great. Both shows climaxed too early.

My main concern with Breaking Bad was that they killed Hank too early. The final showdown was between Walt and the Aryans. We hadn't really gotten to know uncle Jack and his crew that well, and they had been on Walt's side until the last 3 episodes. The final showdown should have been between Walt and an antagonist we had gotten to know throughout the show, like Hank or Gus. Hank was his adversary, and he died at the hands of someone else.

Dexter had a few interesting serial killers to fight with, and a few cops who were close to finding out that he was the Bay Harbor Butcher, but it was too easy for him. Doakes was the closest to exposing Dexter, but he died early. Dexter never really had any big challenges after that. Also, there were several characters that didn't serve the purpose the viewer expected them to have. I thought Masuka would point out some example of Dexter tampering with evidence/crime scenes, but he was completely blind to what Dexter was doing. And then there was Quinn.... He was stupid, but come on... After having been served photos of Dexter and Hannah dumping black plastic bags from his boat, been suspicious of him, LaGuerta thought he was the BHB and Deb admitted to killing LaGuerta he still couldn't put 2 and 2 together. Also, the ending was bad. Why didn't he leave Harrison with Aster and Cody instead of Hannah? How did he paddle back to shore in a life raft in the midst of a hurricane? Why did he become a lumberjack?

Breaking Bad by far but I thought they did a great job with the last season of Dexter and the finale. It's too bad there were a couple years of filler before they got to the end.

after watching both shows there is no doubt BB was the better show.. Dexter had some great moments, and seasons, but in the end was really flat, and the ending was terrible.

You might have missed the high rating part.
It was never one of the "highest" rated shows on television if we're talking Top 5 overall, critically. Its ratings have slid substantially, too. The shift is apparent in its Metacritic season by season ratings:
#1= 77; #2= 81; #3= 78; #4= 79; #5= 75; #6= 63; #7= 81; #8= 71

It was nominated for Best Drama from 2008-2011. The last nomination was for Season 6, but clearly viewers were displeased because it disappeared for its last two years. The finale was one of the most panned and ridiculed finales in all of 'regarded' television history.

The people's votes tell a much more direct story:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773262/eprate?ref_=tt_ql_tv_3
Just eyeball it. It's impossible to miss. There's only 3 episodes in the Top 25 episodes as rated by show fans that came after season 4, and all are from Season 7. More telling: 11 of the 12 episodes of the final season are in the worst rated 16 episodes for the show's run. Pair it with the worst of Season 6 and they account for 17/18 of the bottom-rated episodes. Frankly, I can't think of any other show where the Finale is the lowest rated episode, by far, in the entire show's run. IMDb users rated it a 5.5 (relative to the overall rating of 9.0).

The show went to shit Tkotom. Total and complete shit. Everyone else saw that. What's got you blind?

It was never one of the "highest" rated shows on television if we're talking Top 5 overall, critically. Its ratings have slid substantially, too. The shift is apparent in its Metacritic season by season ratings:
#1= 77; #2= 81; #3= 78; #4= 79; #5= 75; #6= 63; #7= 81; #8= 71

It was nominated for Best Drama from 2008-2011. The last nomination was for Season 6, but clearly viewers were displeased because it disappeared for its last two years. The finale was one of the most panned and ridiculed finales in all of 'regarded' television history.

The people's votes tell a much more direct story:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0773262/eprate?ref_=tt_ql_tv_3
Just eyeball it. It's impossible to miss. There's only 3 episodes in the Top 25 episodes as rated by show fans that came after season 4, and all are from Season 7. More telling: 11 of the 12 episodes of the final season are in the worst rated 16 episodes for the show's run. Pair it with the worst of Season 6 and they account for 17/18 of the bottom-rated episodes. Frankly, I can't think of any other show where the Finale is the lowest rated episode, by far, in the entire show's run. IMDb users rated it a 5.5 (relative to the overall rating of 9.0).

The show went to shit Tkotom. Total and complete shit. Everyone else saw that. What's got you blind?

the show was definitely not shit man

the first 5 seasons were terrific

it dropped off later when they milked it.

Dexter started out cool. Breaking Bad was consistently great. Both shows climaxed too early.

My main concern with Breaking Bad was that they killed Hank too early. The final showdown was between Walt and the Aryans. We hadn't really gotten to know uncle Jack and his crew that well, and they had been on Walt's side until the last 3 episodes. The final showdown should have been between Walt and an antagonist we had gotten to know throughout the show, like Hank or Gus. Hank was his adversary, and he died at the hands of someone else.

Dexter had a few interesting serial killers to fight with, and a few cops who were close to finding out that he was the Bay Harbor Butcher, but it was too easy for him. Doakes was the closest to exposing Dexter, but he died early. Dexter never really had any big challenges after that. Also, there were several characters that didn't serve the purpose the viewer expected them to have. I thought Masuka would point out some example of Dexter tampering with evidence/crime scenes, but he was completely blind to what Dexter was doing. And then there was Quinn.... He was stupid, but come on... After having been served photos of Dexter and Hannah dumping black plastic bags from his boat, been suspicious of him, LaGuerta thought he was the BHB and Deb admitted to killing LaGuerta he still couldn't put 2 and 2 together. Also, the ending was bad. Why didn't he leave Harrison with Aster and Cody instead of Hannah? How did he paddle back to shore in a life raft in the midst of a hurricane? Why did he become a lumberjack?
The ending to BB was perfect. FYI, that was natural to the Greek theory for the perfect "arc" in a story. The climax comes before the end, then the conclusion resolves the climax, emotionally and intellectually. "Ozymandias" was the series climax; "Felina" was the conclusion and resolution.

Stylistically, I don't know they could have done more perfectly. They told that story with as much aplomb as any television story has been told. The tale of BB vs. The Wire is the question of style vs. substance; craft vs. scope. Not that BB didn't have substance, but it wasn't as ambitious as The Wire. The latter was more Charles Dickens; the former was more Alexander Dumas.
the show was definitely not shit man

the first 5 seasons were terrific

it dropped off later when they milked it.
The last three seasons were shit, dude, and Season 5 meandered (although it grew on me, personally, over the course of that season). Nobody said it was a shitty overall show.

The ending to BB was perfect. FYI, that was natural to the Greek theory for the perfect "arc" in a story. The climax comes before the end, then the conclusion resolves the climax, emotionally and intellectually. "Ozymandias" was the series climax; "Felina" was the conclusion and resolution.

Stylistically, I don't know they could have done more perfectly. They told that story with as much aplomb as any television story has been told. The tale of BB vs. The Wire is the question of style vs. substance; craft vs. scope. Not that BB didn't have substance, but it wasn't as ambitious as The Wire. The latter was more Charles Dickens; the former was more Alexander Dumas.

The last three seasons were shit, dude, and Season 5 meandered (although it grew on me, personally, over the course of that season). Nobody said it was a shitty overall show.

I liked 1-6 but I didn't like 7 or 8. They became the Dexter and Deb show and departed from what made the first seasons really good.

It was clear that they milked it towards the end. Should have ended earlier.

It was clear that they milked it towards the end. Should have ended earlier.

if the show wasnt signed for another season I'd have been happy for it to end season 7

5 and 6 were kinda filler seasons - but i enjoyed 7 ...wish it ended there

I read something about how the higher ups at Showtime told the Dexter writers to not kill Dexter in the final season, probably with hopes for a spin off or a new show later.

Sounds like the writers are trying to pass the blame for another shitty season.

Back