Devonte Smith's 12-6 elbows

BiC Fist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Last night on the Contender Series, Devonte Smith got a victory by using 12-6 elbows. Most of these 12-6 elbows were to the back of the head of his opponent.

Ref didn't seem to notice... Commentators brushed over the incident, citing that the elbows were "mostly clean".

Damn... Eddie Alvarez got some shit luck, while other people bask in the glory of 12-6ers.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

no pics no nothing....

yes. most everyone thinks it's a daft rule, including BJM (some confuse him explaining the rule with him defending the rule - he thinks it's daft too). it's a stupid holdover from when the first set of rules were developed, and when several of the committee had no idea what any of this was about. somehow it's never been removed.

and yes, it seems to be called a bit more inconsistently than most rules, in a sport rife with inconsistent rule calls.

there are indeed thousands of threads on this. but yours seems to be the first one today.

Last night on the Contender Series, Devonte Smith got a victory by using 12-6 elbows. Most of these 12-6 elbows were to the back of the head of his opponent.

Ref didn't seem to notice... Commentators brushed over the incident, citing that the elbows were "mostly clean".

Damn... Eddie Alvarez got some shit luck, while other people bask in the glory of 12-6ers.

They weren't 12-6

That simple

/thread

They weren't 12-6

That simple

/thread

This and they weren't to the back of the head. People don't realize how narrow the area is that you can't hit.

back_of_the_head_v2-thumb.jpg

They weren't 12-6, though. They were 11-5 and hit the side of the head right behind the ear. We saw them on the replay in slow mo, and he worked the angle just right. They were legal on both counts.

Wow, he just won the Stanley Cup months ago and now he has a contract with the UFC. What an explosive year so far for him

They weren't 12-6. They were basically 9 to 3.

Although, speaking of 12-6 elbows, it was pretty crazy for Cormier to tell Rogan during the last UFC that 12-6 elbows should be banned.

Marc Goddard fucked up they just don't want to admit it. It's like when cops shoot a retarded dude, all the other cops rally around him. Or when your buddy starts a fight.

I didn't think they were 12-6 or to the back of his head.

They weren't 12-6, though. They were 11-5 and hit the side of the head right behind the ear. We saw them on the replay in slow mo, and he worked the angle just right. They were legal on both counts.

Looked like 11:59-5:59 to me. Still good.

Paul Felders biased commentary during that fight was shameful he gave props but only begrudgingly after saying the Dude who got totally dominated is better than that lel

This and they weren't to the back of the head. People don't realize how narrow the area is that you can't hit.

back_of_the_head_v2-thumb.jpg
He landed a few of them in them right behind the ear. just slightly in the white on your pic. But none where 12-6 and most were to the temple.

if you're talking about the elbows to the 'side' of the head while dude's in on a shot those are unfortunately legal. personally, i'd do away with them but i know i'm in a severe minority.

I mean technically those are 12-6, but head position has to be taken into consideration as well?

I mean technically those are 12-6, but head position has to be taken into consideration as well?

Those aren't 12-6. A true 12-6 usually brings the arm well above the head and straight down onto your opponent. A 12-6 elbow is a very obvious motion, and those weren't 12-6.

if you're talking about the elbows to the 'side' of the head while dude's in on a shot those are unfortunately legal. personally, i'd do away with them but i know i'm in a severe minority.

Why would you do away with them???? We need MORE conditions that reduce rules to stop these lay'n'pray, wall'n'stall blankets. We should re-allow upkicks to the face from the ground. As long as the kicking fighter is grounded, kicks to the face should be allowed.

Stop supporting rules that make it better for wrasslers.

There should be a rule prohibiting naming your child Devonte

Back