Devil's advocate: Jones shouldn't have been DQ'ed in Hamill fight

The problem is that Hamill’s inability to continue wasn’t caused by the “foul.” He was toast, and Jones happened to mix in a couple blows that are technically considered illegal in the process of kicking his ass.

I understand why the ref did what he did. If you’re going to stop the fight to deduct a point, you’re kinda boxed in once the fighter can’t continue. I would have preferred the judgement call that the illegal blows didn’t stop the fight, but then you’re basically admitting that you let it go too long.

It’s unfortunate though, because now we have to have guys like Max Kellerman explain to the audience that he’s really an undefeated fighter.

Jones isn't undefeated.

Matt survived long enough for Jones to have time to get himself disqualified.

That fight, along with the Smith fight where he also should have been disqualified, should dispel the myth that Jones has a spectacular fight IQ. Two fights he was completely dominating; he threw one of them away and almost did the same with the second.

It's fine to say Jones was killing Matt, but Matt played by the rules, Jones didn't, and Jones was disqualified. There was no good reason for him to do that, he obviously didn't need to...

But he did.

And he isn't undefeated.

He should have been DQ’d in the Smith fight as well.

I respect that he didn't. Jones was crushing him and Smith wasn't going to win that fight, and it would have been cheap to win that way.

i'd wonder how many people here that agree with the Jones DQ...

would also be ok with Conor getting DQ'd for his fouls against khabib.

Me. Conor should have been disqualified, or at the very least had points deducted.

Or DC getting away with eye pokes in the first Miocic fight

Should have been a point immediately or a DQ. That said, I can't remember if Stipe poked him first. Either way, there shouldn't be warnings. The fighters know the rules.

Or DC leaning on the towel at weigh ins

That should have been handled at the weigh-in. You can't really do anything after the fact.

Back