Detox? good, bad or just a waste of time/money?

T.J.T

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My girlfriend is trying to get me to do this crap again with her. I tried it about a year ago and couldnt finish the 14 day drops of herbal death, and it actualy gave me some digestive problems after that and i had to go to the doctor to resolve that, so im not intrested in doing a detox again. For her sake though i felt like i should ask what people think of these detox kits? i cant recall the name, its Biotox or something like that, i dont have a product link but i said i would see what i could find out.

I used the search function, but got about 5 pages of detoxing drugs out of your system and nothing on if a detox it self is a good or bad thing.

just looking for some friendly advice, i would google it but the nutrition information from this site i find is better then any site i could find anyways.

She doesnt need it to lose weight or anything just wants to do it for the "better" of her body if thats what they truely do.

Dont do it. There are safer, healthier ways of cleaning yourself out. Throw that shit in the garbage. And yes, theres a thread somewhere on this. Try searching for colon cleansing or something like that.

In my opinion "detox" supplements are a complete waste of money.

Here is what you two should do:

1) Stop eating like crap.
2) Start eating healthy - eat vegetables every meal with a lean protein.
3) Eat lots of broccoli and spinach
4) Eat several servings of fruits a day
5) Don't eat any processed food.
6) If you do 1-5, the body will naturally "detox" itself.
7) Maintain a consistent training regiment that requires hard work and a lot of intensity.
8) Don't waste money on crappy supplements

If you think you will lose weight with a detox, you are wrong. You will lose some water weight, but that is it. Let me be blunt

In my opinion "detox" supplements are a complete waste of money.

Here is what you two should do:

1) Stop eating like crap.
2) Start eating healthy - eat vegetables every meal with a lean protein.
3) Eat lots of broccoli and spinach
4) Eat several servings of fruits a day
5) Don't eat any processed food.
6) If you do 1-5, the body will naturally "detox" itself.
7) Maintain a consistent training regiment that requires hard work and a lot of intensity.
8) Don't waste money on crappy supplements

If you think you will lose weight with a detox, you are wrong. You will lose some water weight, but that is it. Let me be blunt

Sometimes I think people get a little caught up in cleaning themselves. If any part of your body is supposed to not be clean, it is your colon.

I think you and your girlfriend should be happy with your weight loss, and I'm assuming hers as well. If your GP thinks you need to be "cleansed" I say go for it.. no reason to do all that hippie shit, though.

Might have worded it wrong, but she wanted to do the detox for herself, i already said no. she weights about 100 pounds so it wasnt for weight loss.

i know that doesnt really matter, but i felt like clarifying it :p but i agree ill tell her its a waste of money, she works at a salon though and every second client she has tells he health advice and she brings it home like the gospel... so im always on here trying to find out as much truth as i can!

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=730854
Here's the one I remember seeing recently. The general consensus seems to be BS, which I agree with. I tried one once and didn't have any negative effects like you, but basically didn't have any effects. I would think that since you've already had a bad experience with it you'd not want anything to do with it

Its BS. Waste of money. How are you supposed to feal afterwards? Clean? lol. And for how long?
No man, just eat healthy, the only thing that works.

Waste of money.

I have been thinking about trying one of those detox programs. This two are the ones that have been banging my PC screen lately

* www.drnatura.com/ (colonix + toxinout)
* http://www.isagenix.com/

Any thoughts from the forum experts? Why i shouldn't try this or why should i?

John M Berardi
Precision Nutrition Team

Here's a great interview in which Alan Logan discusses detoxification strategies (about 1/2 way through). It echoes my thoughts as well:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/me...ead.php?t=1537

_________________________________________________________________________________

Here' s another link to the same article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1252564

To summarize it, detoxing is a stupid and sometimes even harmful idea. Your body detoxes naturally by eating good protein sources, antioxidants, fiber, and fish oil.

Thanks guys, as always lots of info and resources to back it up.

My GF will save a couple bucks and we will continue with our clean diet.

I've seen some pretty impressive results from people on Renew Life detox/cleanses. That being said, they are a POOR substitute for proper diet and exercise.

Back