Determining Your Fight Weight

Well the fact you’re asking on here instead of asking your coach means you probably don’t train and thus question is irrelevant

This was posted twelve and a half years ago. He could have had a pro career by now.

I played rugby as heavy as 212, currently at 170. 6'. Never going to fight but I'd have to bet that I'd fight at 155 and could kill myself to make 145. In an ideal universe probably 150 lbs.

I think the best way is to focus on your height and reach, and work from there. No point being strong for your division but not having the height/reach.

It's a trial and error process. It's not just physical, it's mental as well. The weight is the weight, like every one else has pretty much said, go in as small as you feel comfortable so you can (hopefully) be the bigger competitor

You want to go in with a positive mindset though. For me, I probably go in smaller than I want to and for the weeks leading up, feel miserable. But come competition day, I'll feel very positive in that I know I've done everything I could and left nothing on the table with regards to training and S&C (since I have to do way more conditioning to help get the weight down). I've had competitions where I've felt happier given that I didn't have to lose as much weight but when it came time to compete I was thinking I didn't do enough work because I didn't have to be as disciplined. "Maybe I shouldn't have gone out with my friends and had that burger" type of thing.

To each their own

Thank God for your guys' willingness to answer this 13 year old question.

Back