Derrick Lewis 2.0 (The Back is Fixed, The Cardio is Fixed)

Will Lewis ever get the HW belt?

• Total voters
Blast Beast needs those German Stem Cells.

The back will NEVER be "Fixed" as long as he's a hundred pounds overweight like he is atm.
My mate use to go to the doctor complaining of his back- one day the doc just gave it to him straight and told him he was way overweight and had to lose the excess fat. My mate never went back to that doctor...

A lot can go wrong with a fusion and can also make things worse .... if his symptoms are manageable and can avoid the surgery then that would be ideal ...

I have spondylothesis grade 1 and I’m managing fine.
I have grade 1 spondylolthesis as well. Our condition doesn't go away. I'm assuming you have a pars defect as well?

I have a ruptured disc above the slipped vertebrae, so that doesn't help. Day to day I'm fine as long as I do absolutely no impact training. I had to stop MMA. You can't throw kicks or wrestle on the tegular with our condition.

Lower back fusion is pretty straightforward. It's low risk for back surgery....which is a high risk surgery in the first place.

If you need it, you need it. I'm getting mine done in a few months. I'm not spending the rest of my life worrying about any wrong movement sending me to the couch for three weeks.

One thing I appreciate from Lewis is he knows he's a fan favorite and tries to entertain people, and when he doesn't he owns up to it and doesn't a finger at the other guy.

They never say just give me pills when it acts up . On my end the pain gets really bad I have to sit or lay down
Get a cat scan, and then an MRI if needed. Don't take medical advice from Sherdog.

I injured my back very young (around 6) and went through bouts of crippling local nerve pain in my lower back. Always ignored it because it would only last two days, max. I still did a fair bit of running and weight lifting in my late teens/early twenties.

What helped tremendously at first was core strengthening. And I don't mean sit ups. Planks, roller extensions, mobility work...they all did the trick. I did MMA from 23 to 30 and it wasn't until I introduced oly lifting and powerlifting into my training that shit really hit the fan.

I had a pars defect in my L5 the whole time. After bulging, then herniating the disc above it, the vertebrae slipped and I ended up completely crippled for 3 months. Cue the oxycodone addiction.

I'd think I was OK, started training again, then bam - back to square one. Once I got the MRI I was kicking myself that I never got it diagnosed sooner.

If it's just a muscular imbalance, a good strength routine can correct that. MMA over develops your hip muscles from kicking and doing sweeps ect in BJJ. The hypotraphy of hip muscles pulls your pelvis forward and can really cause serious problems in your lower back...but that can be corrected quickly without surgeons.

But if you've damaged the vertebrae or discs, then strength training is the last thing you should be doing. Get it checked out by a radiologist via CT/MRI, then talk about treatment. No one here can give you advice. Not even a doctor. You need to find out what's causing the pain first and foremost.

I wish someone told me this when I was your age. Now I go through weeks at a time where I can barely put my shoes on and take 40mg of oxycodone a day just to get me through the day.

If it's an alignment or muscular imbalance - easy fix. If it's more serious, the fix is more complicated and you don't want to be putting ANY unnecessary load on your spine.

Get a cat scan, and then an MRI if needed. Don't take medical advice from Sherdog.

I injured my back very young (around 6) and went through bouts of crippling local nerve pain in my lower back. Always ignored it because it would only last two days, max. I still did a fair bit of running and weight lifting in my late teens/early twenties.

What helped tremendously at first was core strengthening. And I don't mean sit ups. Planks, roller extensions, mobility work...they all did the trick. I did MMA from 23 to 30 and it wasn't until I introduced oly lifting and powerlifting into my training that shit really hit the fan.

I had a pars defect in my L5 the whole time. After bulging, then herniating the disc above it, the vertebrae slipped and I ended up completely crippled for 3 months. Cue the oxycodone addiction.

I'd think I was OK, started training again, then bam - back to square one. Once I got the MRI I was kicking myself that I never got it diagnosed sooner.

If it's just a muscular imbalance, a good strength routine can correct that. MMA over develops your hip muscles from kicking and doing sweeps ect in BJJ. The hypotraphy of hip muscles pulls your pelvis forward and can really cause serious problems in your lower back...but that can be corrected quickly without surgeons.

But if you've damaged the vertebrae or discs, then strength training is the last thing you should be doing. Get it checked out by a radiologist via CT/MRI, then talk about treatment. No one here can give you advice. Not even a doctor. You need to find out what's causing the pain first and foremost.

I wish someone told me this when I was your age. Now I go through weeks at a time where I can barely put my shoes on and take 40mg of oxycodone a day just to get me through the day.

If it's an alignment or muscular imbalance - easy fix. If it's more serious, the fix is more complicated and you don't want to be putting ANY unnecessary load on your spine.
Thank u man I apperciate that . Shit I feel old now , cus of my back

They never say just give me pills when it acts up . On my end the pain gets really bad I have to sit or lay down

Well that’s ridiculous. You need to find a better doctor and get an MRI. If you already have gotten an MRI than you should be upset that your doctor can’t tell you what’s wrong with your back if anything.

It’s probably just mental bro. Nothing mechanically wrong. Especially if there’s no neurological pain.

Well that’s ridiculous. You need to find a better doctor and get an MRI. If you already have gotten an MRI than you should be upset that your doctor can’t tell you what’s wrong with your back if anything.

It’s probably just mental bro. Nothing mechanically wrong. Especially if there’s no neurological pain.
I fuck with kaiser

They helped bursitis in my shoulder, but bursitis is literally packets of inflammation.

Cortisone is notoriously ineffective for back injuries because its typically not inflammation fucking everything up in serious back injuries...it's ruptured discs spilling fluid into spinal canals of the CNS. Or vertebrae slipping out of place pressing on nerves.

I'm in my early 30s and myself and about 4 of my friends and my brother have all had back surgery or awaiting back surgery. All of us unanimously agreed that cortisone shots did shit all. Even the surgeon told me that before giving me the shots. It's a last ditch effort to buy you some relief.

Yeah I have arthritis from where I fractured my spine playing rugby, no slipped disks. I also lost 70 lbs and started jiu jitsu, so that helped a lot too I'm sure

I have grade 1 spondylolthesis as well. Our condition doesn't go away. I'm assuming you have a pars defect as well?

I have a ruptured disc above the slipped vertebrae, so that doesn't help. Day to day I'm fine as long as I do absolutely no impact training. I had to stop MMA. You can't throw kicks or wrestle on the tegular with our condition.

Lower back fusion is pretty straightforward. It's low risk for back surgery....which is a high risk surgery in the first place.

If you need it, you need it. I'm getting mine done in a few months. I'm not spending the rest of my life worrying about any wrong movement sending me to the couch for three weeks.

Yea if you need it you need it but I’ve been told don’t do it until you have tried everything conservative. How old are you dude ? And yes I have a pars . This was a result of getting rear ended.

Regardless I feel your pain , if you need it, you need it .I wish you good luck with your fusion bro and a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
I had a terrible ruptured disc injury where I worked through it and actually competed. I don’t think I can do it again in my 30s. I don’t heal well anymore and my lower back completely tightened up.

Back