Dern is officialy Brazilian

I feel like people really care way too much about where people are from these days lol is it really that serious? Clearly her dad is Brazilian and she went to Brazil a lot over the years
And those identitarians can go f themselves.

I was wondering when one of those threads would show up. Never gets old.

I remember hearing about a case where a lady had a stroke and lost her ability to speak... except in some other language which was her first language up to age 4 or so which she almost never spoke again in the following decades. Like that part of her brain was untouched but the part with the most used language processing was fried.

LOL, her brain went back to the default factory setting.

... which is exactly the point and why it is goofy that she fakes a strong brazilian accent when she speaks english - an accent that she didn't have a few years ago. She lived in the US the longest.
It's ridiculous, but people can change their accents fast just to fit in.

@ocean size last thing; even if she has an identity crisis, I still wouldn't really call the accent fake, just very unusually acquired. But probably still acquired it through the influence of her environment, like you'd normally also get it.

Renato Laranja does it and everyone laughs and has a good time. Dern does same thing, everyone is disgust with her.

Typical sexism.

@ocean size last thing; even if she has an identity crisis, I still wouldn't really call the accent fake, just very unusually acquired. But probably still acquired it through the influence of her environment, like you'd normally also get it.
Its more natural than Hilaria Baldwin's, I'll give you that. I'm not sure if she even speaks Spanish.

And those identitarians can go f themselves.
Yeah the flag itself I have no issue with, she is a brazillian fighting out of brazil. I'd probably have them give me that flag too especially after the US gym where I was doing camps told me to get stuffed.

Its more natural than Hilaria Baldwin's, I'll give you that. I'm not sure if she even speaks Spanish.

Lol, yeah, that's straight up a nutty one. Haha!

It’s one thing changing or “developing” an accent, this can happen when impressionable people who are not heavily educated in language to begin with are exposed to different cultures.

It’s another thing entirely to forget how to speak English. If taken at face value then this is the first time I have ever encountered someone forgetting how to speak their native tongue.

So whether it’s real or fake, either way it’s cringe.

It’s one thing changing or “developing” an accent, this can happen when impressionable people who are not heavily educated in language to begin with are exposed to different cultures.

It’s another thing entirely to forget how to speak English. If taken at face value then this is the first time I have ever encountered someone forgetting how to speak their native tongue.

So whether it’s real or fake, either way it’s cringe.

agreed. it's one thing to develop an accent in a geographic location where you've immersed yourself in the culture over a significant amount of time. Maybe she gained the Brazilian accent while attending and graduating from Ironwood High School in Arizona, lol. HOWEVER, when you lose your grammatical skills in your native language, and the place where you went to school, something is seriously wrong.

Whats really the issue ?
Does anyone have a problem with the
Overeem being Dutch?
Dude was born and raised in England until age 6, mother from Holland and father British/ Jamaican ( father still lives in UK to this day.
Seems some Americans have a problem accepting people accepting their roots which is hilarious and ironic considering the place is half full of fake plastic irishman and italians who have never stepped foot there and probably their parents and grandparents haven't either
Overeem has a Dutch mom and more importantly a Dutch passport.

Obligatory:

To be fair accents do change. You should watch earlier interviews of Mel Gibson in the early/mid 80s, he had a very detectable Australian accent. Watch any interview of him today and it’s 100% American, not a hint of an Australian accent. He has a similar background to Dern in that he was partially raised in the States then moved to Australia just before his teen years and came back to the states in his early 20s. If Dern spent 95% of her time in Brazil speaking Portuguese her accent would change. Her significant other is also Brazilian for what’s it worth so I’m guessing the accent transformation is natural not forced.

Overeem has a Dutch mom and more importantly a Dutch passport.
Dern has a Brazilian father. If a passport is your main criteria then exactly do you know she doesn't hold a Brazilian passport?
Overeem holds a uk passport via it being his place of birth and place of residence for his early childhood yet still holds a Dutch passport and identifies as Dutch.
Dern has spent large parts of her life in Brazil with her Brazilian father and Brazilian step mother. I see no issue here.
Its just making the rules up to suit.

To be fair accents do change. You should watch earlier interviews of Mel Gibson in the early/mid 80s, he had a very detectable Australian accent. Watch any interview of him today and it’s 100% American, not a hint of an Australian accent. He has a similar background to Dern in that he was partially raised in the States then moved to Australia just before his teen years and came back to the states in his early 20s. If Dern spent 95% of her time in Brazil speaking Portuguese her accent would change. Her significant other is also Brazilian for what’s it worth so I’m guessing the accent transformation is natural not forced.

But Gibson's grammar is still well intact over a long period of time. She LOSES here ability to conjugate, or loses her understanding of prepositions as well as other grammar principles and it's disturbing. It's either intentional, or she's got early onset of CTE, but losing your grammatical skills in your native language where you attended and graduated high school is not natural. It can't easily be marginalized and explained away with flippant claims like, "her dad!", or "She moved back and forth!", or "she was impregnated by a Brazillian and his dna changed her accent!" That shit is comical.

How can you defend faking a foreign accent??
Firstly I never defended a foreign accent.
I honestly don't see it being fake either. There would be no reason for her to do that.
Her father and stepmother are Brazilian, her husband/ partner Brazilian.
She says she spoke Portuguese pretty much only. Anything is possible.
Do you have a link to how she used to sound ? Just genuinely interested.

Dern has a Brazilian father. If a passport is your main criteria then exactly do you know she doesn't hold a Brazilian passport?
Overeem holds a uk passport via it being his place of birth and place of residence for his early childhood yet still holds a Dutch passport and identifies as Dutch.
Dern has spent large parts of her life in Brazil with her Brazilian father and Brazilian step mother. I see no issue here.
Its just making the rules up to suit.
I don't have a single problem with her claiming Brazil, but I don't believe that she completely forgot English sentence structure.

Back