Dern is officialy Brazilian

the "before":

I find it charming really, it just shows you that people that have a lot going on and shouldn't need to fake an accent to feel special still do the same kind of goofy shit (if not goofier) that us mere mortals do. Like Alec Baldwin's wife who became Spanish once her parents retired to Spain and she even forgot the english word for cucumber.

One thing people don't like is inauthenticity. And it isn't that hard to fool them either, so you've typically gotta really be shitting the bed to get called out.

People like a lot of inauthentic shit. That's why politicians are popular, commercials work, and Hollywood is as powerful as it is/was. It's more a case of people not liking what they aren't used to and they aren't used to a (perceived) white girl, born in Murica, with a white Murican sounding name having acquired a foreign accent.

Also - since I've bagged on her - I've gotta say I think it's awesome that she beat Gabi Garcia, also won 12 world titles and can make up put on whatever accent she wants and she's got fat titties and I really like to look at them

Its pretty common knowledge that not only is her father Brazilian, which obviously makes her half Brazilian, she also spent her childhood living between the USA and Brazil.
She has the right to identify as Brazilian Imo
M8mF.gif

I have went over why he accent got strong plenty of times in these forums lol. I've known he since she was young and she was one of my main training partner for years.
I haven’t seen your take on her accent so I’d love to hear it. Are you saying it’s anything other than deliberate?

I didn’t say anything about her accent. Just saying she is duel citizen. I have no issue with Dern. I identify as Sirrea Leonean despite being born in the US. I know what it is like to be bi-cultural
Is this meant as a joke?

People like a lot of inauthentic shit. That's why politicians are popular, commercials work, and Hollywood is as powerful as it is/was.
That's what I am saying though- it isn't hard to fool them, but if they get a whiff of inauthenticity despite how little you have to do then they aren't going to react well. Like Hillary's hot sauce or Romney's shooting varmits.

And bruv it just doesn't work like that, when you go to another country and do everything in Portuguese, the Portuguese pronunciation doesn't leak into your English. The brain compartmentalises that shit. Even when it is the same language - like every haole that spends some years in Hawaii and suddenly has the BJ Penn Pidgin accent - is a poseur.

Maybe the first words in English after a month speaking Brazilian Portuguese would come out weird, but that isn't the case when you are in the US for the week leading up to the fight and give a post-match in a strong Brazilian accent.

If you really think that's just how it works, I'm sure you at least don't believe that speaking more of your 2nd language won't make you entirely forget your first language... yet she had Gurgel, second language english speaker translate for her in a post match interview? That was her first UFC appearance IIRC, I'm pretty sure that's what kicked off a lot of this

I haven’t seen your take on her accent so I’d love to hear it. Are you saying it’s anything other than deliberate?
Honestly it sounds natural to me. She s an american chick that has lived abroad for like 10 years and it is showing in the way she speaks.

That's what I am saying though- it isn't hard to fool them, but if they get a whiff of inauthenticity despite how little you have to do then they aren't going to react well. Like Hillary's hot sauce or Romney's shooting varmits.

And bruv it just doesn't work like that, when you go to another country and do everything in Portuguese, the Portuguese pronunciation doesn't leak into your English. The brain compartmentalises that shit. Even when it is the same language - like every haole that spends some years in Hawaii and suddenly has the BJ Penn Pidgin accent - is a poseur.

Maybe the first words in English after a month speaking Brazilian Portuguese would come out weird, but that isn't the case when you are in the US for the week leading up to the fight and give a post-match in a strong Brazilian accent.

If you really think that's just how it works, I'm sure you at least don't believe that speaking more of your 2nd language won't make you entirely forget your first language... yet she had Gurgel, second language english speaker translate for her in a post match interview? That was her first UFC appearance IIRC, I'm pretty sure that's what kicked off a lot of this

Not true. A few years of speaking another language all the time will absolutely rub off on your native language. You see it all the time.

Honestly it sounds natural to me. She s an american chick that has lived abroad for like 10 years and it is showing in the way she speaks.
I can understand her Portuguese accent naturally changing, but it makes no sense that her English accent changed. If she moves to Minnesota and starts speaking strictly English, is her Portuguese accent going to take on a Minnesota accent? No. It will remain the same. It’s deliberate. The argument that tries to explain it by saying she grew up half in Brazil and the United States doesn’t make any sense to me either. Fluent Bilingual children sound like native speakers in both languages. If there’s something I’m missing I’m all ears, but it just sounds like she did it on purpose which doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s like when Javier Mendes talks to Khabib in “Daegestani type” broken English. It’s deliberate and makes no sense.

They don't like to feel they have been made a fool of, yes. But they love inauthenticity, they just don't know it.

Read my post again. I said she probably speaks (and/or spoke) a lot of English, not Portuguese, with Brazilian people. Maybe she is bad at picking up the language and most fighters/BJJ practitioners know a bit of English anyway. so they just communicate mainly in English with her

But maybe she speaks perfect Portuguese, I don't know.

Gotta hear that interview again, to better judge it.

Last edited:
Not true. A few years of speaking another language all the time will absolutely rub off on your native language. You see it all the time.
It’s not extreme like Dern’s though. There will be a slight change that people who knew you before will notice. But Dern is almost speaking broken English. She’s using English grammar that you would expect from someone who is just learning English. “I’m speaking Portuguese most of the time now,” as opposed to “I speak Portuguese most of the time now.”

Let's grant your scenario does happen all the time for argument's sake:

She spent close to twenty years speaking another language fluently while maintaining the typical valley girl accent in English and then suddenly developed the accent when speaking English that Brazilian english second language speakers have a few years ago.

Read my post again. I said she probably speaks (and/or spoke) a lot of English, not Portuguese, with Brazilian people. Maybe she is bad at picking up the language and most fighters/BJJ practitioners know a bit of English anyway. so they just communicate mainly in English with her.
Like - that sounds somewhat plausible if we were talking about someone else. But her dad is Brazilian and she says she always spoke both languages, going back and forth between places. She said (a few years ago when the accent thing was first in the news) she only speaks Portuguese at home etc etc.

I can understand her Portuguese accent naturally changing, but it makes no sense that her English accent changed. If she moves to Minnesota and starts speaking strictly English, is her Portuguese accent going to take on a Minnesota accent? No. It will remain the same. It’s deliberate. The argument that tries to explain it by saying she grew up half in Brazil and the United States doesn’t make any sense to me either. Fluent Bilingual children sound like native speakers in both languages. If there’s something I’m missing I’m all ears, but it just sounds like she did it on purpose which doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s like when Javier Mendes talks to Khabib in “Daegestani type” broken English. It’s deliberate and makes no sense.

Ha ha yes it s so weird that DC and Mendes turn full immigrants when speaking to Khabib.

IDK about Dern. Sounds natural to me if she has hardly spoken english in 5y more.

Like - that sounds somewhat plausible if we were talking about someone else. But her dad is Brazilian and she says she always spoke both languages, going back and forth between places. She said (a few years ago when the accent thing was first in the news) she only speaks Portuguese at home etc etc.

Does her dad have a heavy accent? Maybe he was the only one she spoke English with for the longest time.

Or maybe she has an identity crisis, still not really a reason to hold it against her, IMO.

Ha ha yes it s so weird that DC and Mendes turn full immigrants when speaking to Khabib.

IDK about Dern. Sounds natural to me if she has hardly spoken english in 5y more.
I think part of it is because she speaks Portuguese full time and part of it is just deliberate.

Does her dad have a heavy accent? Maybe he was the only one she spoke English with for the longest time.

Or maybe she has an identity crisis, still not really a reason to hold it against her, IMO.

That's kinda what i mean, she was whitebread as it gets in videos earlier in her career in her 20s after that many years of speaking to her dad. Dad's academy is in AZ, its not him she talks to living in Brazil. Her husband has a very strong accent though if I wanted to be charitable to your theory

anyway yeah like I said I feel like she's accomplished enough and I really like to look at her cans that she can make up whatever accent she wants.

Or am I just saying that because I should
Be careful what you post about her........
<WhatIsThis>

Also @ocean size It's not uncommon for people to lose their first language if they never practice or hear it, like Doctor Pol, who is Dutch but has lived the longest time in Canada. Dude has a hard time speaking Dutch now. But he is old as fuck, so it's not the best comparison with Dern, and it also doesn't necessarily explain the accent. And English is pretty prevalent all over the world, so it's not the same as Dutch.

Also @ocean size It's not uncommon for people to lose their first language if they never practice or hear it, like Doctor Poll, who is Dutch but has lived the longest time in Canada. Dude has a hard time speaking Dutch now, but he is old as fuck. So it's not the best comparison with Dern, and it also doesn't necessarily explain the accent.
I remember hearing about a case where a lady had a stroke and lost her ability to speak... except in some other language which was her first language up to age 4 or so which she almost never spoke again in the following decades. Like that part of her brain was untouched but the part with the most used language processing was fried.

Back