News Derek Brunson vs. Jared Canonnier Set For Jan. 22

Who Wins?

• Derek Brunson

• Jared Cannonier

Results are only viewable after voting.
Canonnier by Bully-Fu!

3 rounds favors BB. If it were 5 id go Jared

I think Brunson Wrestlefucks/Controls Cannonier for first two rounds. Then in the 3rd Brunson will get tired and Jared will have an opportunity to knock him out.

Cannonier's wrestling has not been much tested yet neither, we knew it was a weakness at LHW, very poor wrestling prowess at 185 in UFC these days.

Jared is a strong guy that's for sure. I guess who better tested his wrestling at MW was David Branch who had success in the first round.
I could see Brunson replicating it to some extent but ultimately getting caught by the superior striker as Branch did. Cannonier is a brute at the top of his game

Funny cause Eugene Bareman hinted at a fight between Adesanya and Brunson just today (on his submission radio interview).Guess that won't happen next.
if you are friends with Mr Bareman, ask him what he's doing on a podcast where they list all the upcoming fights they DONT CARE about

I feel like Mr Bareman is too good for that crap

Great scrap with major implications.
Canonnier probably gets this done but I'll be rooting for your surging everyman Derek Brunson

Hmmm. Not sure who to pick at the moment, will vote later. But an awesome fight and totally makes sense for both.

Dang it, I like both guys so I don't know who to pick. If blonde Brunson mixes it up and protects his chin, he stays undefeated. But I feel like Cannonier finds his chin and ends it in the 2nd round.

I got Jared in this one. If Brunson wins he'd better get a title shot....

Its tough because Whittaker probably deserves a shot aswell. I like Whittaker a lot but id personally want to see the winner of this fight get a shot. Canonnier vs Israel or a Brunson rematch is more intriguing to me. Feels like Whittaker and Israel just fought.

if he does beat Jared hes a contender for greatest underdog fighter ever. If he then beats Israel he will go down as mythical status legendary underdog fighter

I'll go with the clear cut underdog Brunson.

Excellent booking. Been a while since we had a proper title eliminator bout. I think Brunson takes this one. He's done the more impressive stuff lately and seems to be in much better place than Cannonier.

Great fight. Brunson keeps proving me wrong even though I've always been a fan of his. But against Cannonier... I may fade him yet again. Ill-advised? Maybe. But Jared's defensive wrestling has looked on-point against Robert Whittaker, Kelvin Gastelum, Jack Hermansson, and David Branch. Individually, none of those men are the same caliber of MMA wrestler as Blonde Hair Brunson. However, it shows that Cannonier is not helpless when it comes to defending takedowns these days in addition to being tremendously strong. He has also shown the ability to go five hard rounds, while Derek has occasionally struggled with conditioning.

Brunson's lack of durability still shows up here and there; he got rocked against Holland and Till before securing TDs against both men. I'm not sure how long desperately wrestling himself out of bad spots will keep him going, especially given how physically powerful Jared is and how hard he hits. Not to mention he is -- in my opinion -- better at defending takedowns than either of those men and has shown the willingness to walk down aggressive pressure-fighters/wrestlers in the past and put them on the back foot.

That said... I keep fading my boy Derek and he keeps making me look like a fucking tool for doing so. I'm all for his late career resurgence. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he finds holes in Jared's TDD in ways the other MW contenders haven't and puts him on his back early and often. But I suspect he gets chinned. Either way, fun scrap.

Since this is 3 rounds. Brunson has a chance in winning.

Brunson either gets slept or lays on Jared like always

Bet on the underdog

Dangerous fight for Brunson. From what I've seen at MW, Jared has faired well against grapplers. But, Brunson has looked good at getting the fight to the ground lately... I'll pick Jared, but would not be shocked if Brunson took it.

Back