Dept. of public works...

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by lion paw, Jan 18, 2013.

1. lion paw

lion paw Purple Belt

Does anybody work in the dept of public works?There might be and opening coming up.The benefits,retirement,vacation is pretty good.Im looking for a job change.

2. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

I don't work in public works, but I do work for a large city. City jobs are great when you think about the benefits and pay relative to the actual work you do, but can be frustrating because, at least in my case, 70 percent of my job is bureaucracy.

If you're working in public works and just doing maintenance, not dealing with city council and the mayor's office, you'll probably be a lot less frustrated.

3. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

Is it office work or are you on the blue collar end?

4. lion paw

lion paw Purple Belt

blue collar end.

5. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

Everyone that I know that works on the blue collar end for the city or the county does not complain one bit. The turnover is very low and it's actually pretty tough to land the job. I say go for it. The major risk is if funds become low, you have a chance to get the axe if you are newer. I know our city and county cut office help before the blue collar end though.

6. lion paw

lion paw Purple Belt

right on,thanks for the advice.I have most of the qualifications down.the only thing is that I don't have 3 months construction/type education.I got my card saying i've been trained to used power tools.but it's 4-5 yo.