Depositing Rent Checks

PabloZed

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has to be one of my favorite things. I know it sounds silly if not avaricious, but I mean it in the sense that I rent property to good tenants. They send their checks and that is all the contact I ever have. They don't complain or even ask me to do anything (mostly because I haven't raised the rent in a few years).

Perhaps I've just been lucky, or I screened very well. In any event, I think this is just a little evidence that life can be drama-free, if not easy, with work (I had to buy the property), diligence, and maybe a little luck. Although I think putting in the hard work helps guarantee a bit of luck comes your way.

let me rent some space & I'll make hell for you if that's what you really want.

My grandparents owned some properties years ago. They had both sides of the coin. Great tenants and some horror stories.

Never deposited a rent cheque tbh but I'll put this shit on my bucket list

a buddy of mine owns a Holiday Inn, & one day he tells us someone offed himself with a shotgun & left a really, really horrible mess. I don't think I can deal with shit like that.

I've just left a rental property after four years and my landlady is being a complete ****

a buddy of mine owns a Holiday Inn, & one day he tells us someone offed himself with a shotgun & left a really, really horrible mess. I don't think I can deal with shit like that.

Seriously if I owned a Holiday Inn it'd just take one guest coming in with a belly full of Mexican food before I was burning shit down and claiming the insurance

I thought this thread was going to be about having tenants pay in cash, so you didn't have to declare the income on your tax return.

I thought this thread was going to be about having tenants pay in cash, so you didn't have to declare the income on your tax return.

Nah, I don't mess with Uncle Sam. Federal taxes don't bother me as much as others I guess. My beef is with phone, electric, and sales taxes. I call the electric and phone companies at least once a year to complain about "unconstitutional" taxes and fees.

I have an acquaintance that is retired and owns 10 houses that he rents out. Although many of his tenants are long timers that cause him no problems, I am sure that he has a ton of stories of annoyances that he has encountered over the years.

I hope someone burned down one of your 'properties' as you were typing that.

So when I pay rent it just goes direct debit to our rental agency. "depositing cheques" sounds like you get an actual cheque through the post and take it to your bank.

Scallywag.

So when I pay rent it just goes direct debit to our rental agency. "depositing cheques" sounds like you get an actual cheque through the post and take it to your bank.

Scallywag.

Indeed. I like depositing them. That and riding my bike. Both are liberating in their own way.

Lol my dad has the worst tenants. He rents to one lady on section 8 , she only has to pay 77 dollars of her 1000 dollar rent. Every time there's a problem she says "I'll just take my money and move". A guy from south America that would hand him $200 every month and just shrug like "oh well". Butch chick that left the place in shambles, then came back 2 months later for her deposit. A pot head that moved out after 3 weeks and left bullets under the stove burners.

Lol my dad has the worst tenants. He rents to one lady on section 8 , she only has to pay 77 dollars of her 1000 dollar rent. Every time there's a problem she says "I'll just take my money and move". A guy from south America that would hand him $200 every month and just shrug like "oh well". Butch chick that left the place in shambles, then came back 2 months later for her deposit. A pot head that moved out after 3 weeks and left bullets under the stove burners.

Sounds like the best one.

I rent an apartment and when I need something taken care of I call up front and ask them to come take care of since that's their job instead of just taking my money every month. But I'm respectful and don't yell or anything like that. The whole benefit of renting instead of owning your residence is if you hot water breaks down you're not the one having to fix it. But you should be patient and respectful with them getting to fix it as long as they don't drag their feet in the process. A landlord shouldn't feel like they're being put out by actually having to maintain their buildings. Obviously if its something easy to take care of like a backed up sink then the tenant should just fix it himself since it's probably his fault.

This reminds me I've forgotten to leave my rent check for my landlord this month. Due on first, but late fee doesn't kick in until after the 5th ... but, I've been getting it in on the 3rd/4th the past few months, and I've been meaning to get it there right on the 1st. At work right now so I'll probably forget again by the time I'm off, hah.

This reminds me I've forgotten to leave my rent check for my landlord this month. Due on first, but late fee doesn't kick in until after the 5th ... but, I've been getting it in on the 3rd/4th the past few months, and I've been meaning to get it there right on the 1st. At work right now so I'll probably forget again by the time I'm off, hah.

Happens haha. I used to rent a house and it was a pain to pay the rent on the 1st,

Back