Department stores don't serve home cooked meals any more

Takes me back to my youth in Guelph... every department store had a restaurant back then, but the best was Maccabee's. My grandpa was lead sales rep at Maccabee's men's department selling suits to wealthy executives back when the fire escape trade was big business. He'd always give us his discount and we'd be the first to hear of all the special promotions.

Nothing beat Steak Sunday! Just $10CAD for prime rib, beans 'n' gravy, corn rolls, and carrot pie. Unlimited Barkberrer's coffee, too! So much fun running out of church and piling into Maccabee's every Sunday afternoon

I miss the cave arcade at stone rd mall

i remember going to woolworth's and hitting the soda fountain with my aunt as a kid.

i remember going to woolworth's and hitting the soda fountain with my aunt as a kid.

Why would you hit the soda fountain with your aunt?
Where you angry?

• National Politics (Right doesn't like to acknowledge that obesity and Type II Diabetes is a thing. Which is why when Bush mandated wellness plans for conservatives were upset, so he compromised by making it possible to lose your federal lunch funding if you didn't develop one and execute it - which was supposed to put urban schools at a disadvantage, but actually just ended up hurting poor, rural white schools more. When Obama took office, his wife started the national initiative to support existing urban gardens, but the federal government forbids ANY facility that gets federal funding for food from using garden fresh items on its menu. So all urban farms produce has to be sent home, not served during lunch.)
  • Expense (all government functions, including feeding children goes to the lowest bidder, not the best bidder. In most local areas, lunch contracts are very competitive and for many years before wellness plans, awarded to a few companies with political and corporate ties. Now you've got develop a plan that forces vendors to work with you to do the unprecedented, youth focus groups, surveys, tasting days at school, and then implementation. I remember a contractor in a particular city who's only job was marketing the wellness plan awareness competent made around $100K.)
  • Learned Behavior (even after wellness plans were enacted, most kids refuse to eat healthy, so districts could say it economically wasteful to introduce too many "healthy" foods. Note, kids and politicians both assume that healthy meant "didn't taste good". )
  • Parental Support. (most parents aren't paying attention to what their kids eat and assume they will "bounce back". But they aren't taking into account a number of variables. Less physical education during school hours. a much higher amount of refined sugars, salt, fats, artificial flavors and processed foot products. So in certain communities when parents pushed back or weren't supportive it was all the harder to get plans completed. and once the administration changes, parents are the ones who keep schools to keep their commitments. you can imagine that with Trump in office, there is probably no real enforcement of wellness plans at the moment.
That's just the tip of the iceberg. I could on and on. Basically, most school districts have the bare minimum of a wellness plan and when no one is looking they will serve their children the worst food possible. In some places, schools want poor lunches because they rely on a heavier cut of revenue from the vending machines in their buildings. Like I said, I could go on and on. White schools. Black schools. Middle-class, working class urban, poor rural. The kids are being short-changed.

On a primordial level it feels we should be able to dismiss the complexity and work backwards from the goal of making certain children are fed well. If we can't do it simply fine, but do it.

Thanks for the information.

@Loiosh also, nutritionists are for hire to the wealthiest politician or lobbyist. It's not difficult to get one to say that obesity isn't a problem, because some local politician is being asked by a vendor to help him cut costs. science rarely leads to change. it's just a weapon when it comes to kids.

I've heard this before.

How would a department store serve a “home cooked meal” to begin with

My thought as well (mostly for jest), but I do believe I understand what he's referencing, the food not being some pre-established fast food franchise but made in house much like what delis do.

This is part of why IKEA is so big right now.

57ffdaa9da177d25028b4c34.jpg

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/...daa9da177d25028b4c34.jpg?preset=article-image

This is part of why IKEA is so big right now.

I don't allow myself to visit IKEA. I haven't been in one in about fifteen years.

I can't get out of there without spending a thousand dollars on ridiculous things I don't need.

b3ae4c7cc84cbc7ce80478cc9f31a7db.jpg

But damn, their food looks good.

I don’t remember sellers, but I do remember the greasy spoon at Woolworths. Shit my pants many a times after eating there. Was great.

Target has starbucks

But remember Zeller's Restaurant?!

729_0.jpg

You're dating yourself TS.

Zellers restaurants were called "The Skillet".

My older brother was a short order cook in one for about a year.

And you also have Murican's saying wtf is a Zellers?

My thought as well (mostly for jest), but I do believe I understand what he's referencing, the food not being some pre-established fast food franchise but made in house much like what delis do.

I remember that type of stuff from when I was little kid but I don’t remember people eating at these places.

How the hell do you get a home cooked meal at a restaurant? You don't live there you fuck

It's a restaurant cooked meal

Back