Deontay wilder vs Anthony joshua

That's your opinion

Another opinion is that for someone who is something of a demonstrable PPV commodity in the US, to fight a british fighter who is less of a ppv commodity in the US, in a unification where the income isn't only capped, but capped at a level where you are the b side in the 1st AND the b side in a rematch even if you win, is not as good a deal, as it might appear. Almost historically bad for a unification, where you are away from home (and before you say it amount of belts, isn't all important look at the amount of belts ruiz has vs AJ and look at their fees in the rematch)

People talk about $100m, its $40m to fight AJ, about twice WIlder's current fee. It's like someone offering you twice your annual salary (call it 80k) for a lottery ticket that could be worth 50k or 100k or more, some would take it, some won't

Both opinion are there and more besides

But the salient FACT which you avoiding, is that Ruiz meant both these opinions are empty theories, as he beat Joshua before any deal could be fulfilled.
wilder's net worth right now is less than 40M. adding one hundred million to that isn't like someone offering you twice your annual salary. it would've literally tripled everything he's ever earned.

how is wilder a PPV commodity? is he making 40M per fight with his amazing PPV ratings? no? then your reasoning doesn't make any sense.

the FACT that wilder's fans are avoiding when they bring up ruiz here is that no one - wilder included - expected AJ to lose. let's not pretend like wilder held the contract in his hand and said "oh well, AJ is going to lose so this is worthless". the world expected AJ to murk miller, and when miller was replaced by ruiz, everyone and their mom expected AJ to murk him too.

besides, even if wilder had somehow known that AJ would lose, he was offered 20M to fight breazeale first. he refused the deal and fought breazeale for 12M instead. he left 8M on the table for that fight alone. are you trying to suggest that he will have made more money fighting fury and ortiz than he would've with that extra 8M for breazeale and whatever the fuck they were going to pay him for the other two fights? yeah, right.

for years wilder was saying hearn isn't offering enough money. the fight was in negotiations several times, each time for purses far larger than the last. maybe refusing a 5M deal made sense. maybe refusing a 15M deal made sense. but refusing a hundred fucking million dollars does not make sense, for any boxer, offered to face anyone.

he was offered an unprecedented amount of money to fight the guy he's supposedly chasing. refusing it can mean one thing, and one thing only.

wilder's net worth right now is less than 40M. adding one hundred million to that isn't like someone offering you twice your annual salary. it would've literally tripled everything he's ever earned.

how is wilder a PPV commodity? is he making 40M per fight with his amazing PPV ratings? no? then your reasoning doesn't make any sense.

the FACT that wilder's fans are avoiding when they bring up ruiz here is that no one - wilder included - expected AJ to lose. let's not pretend like wilder held the contract in his hand and said "oh well, AJ is going to lose so this is worthless". the world expected AJ to murk miller, and when miller was replaced by ruiz, everyone and their mom expected AJ to murk him too.

besides, even if wilder had somehow known that AJ would lose, he was offered 20M to fight breazeale first. he refused the deal and fought breazeale for 12M instead. he left 8M on the table for that fight alone. are you trying to suggest that he will have made more money fighting fury and ortiz than he would've with that extra 8M for breazeale and whatever the fuck they were going to pay him for the other two fights? yeah, right.

for years wilder was saying hearn isn't offering enough money. the fight was in negotiations several times, each time for purses far larger than the last. maybe refusing a 5M deal made sense. maybe refusing a 15M deal made sense. but refusing a hundred fucking million dollars does not make sense, for any boxer, offered to face anyone.

he was offered an unprecedented amount of money to fight the guy he's supposedly chasing. refusing it can mean one thing, and one thing only.

Great post. Wilder fans talking absolute shit as usual. Wilder ducked AJ, that is a fact. And Wilder must be gutted now that Ruiz took AJ out. I bet he is kicking himself for not taking that fight!

Wilders reported purse vs Ortiz is $20m. The AJ fight which couldn't happen anyway would have been $40m, this is double and talking about net worth, looks like an attempt to obfuscate. He is likely to have 2 fights vs Fury we will see what they do and how much they make. That is the beauty of an open ended arrangement.

He was as much, maybe more of a PPV commodity, in the US market than AJ going into those negotiations, thus no reason he should accept 'b' side status for fights 1 and 2 with AJ. A historically bad unification offer to make when you have to go the guys home country to make the fight, I have never seen a unification deal like it!

If he had signed the DaZN deal Ruiz, Fury, AJ, maybe even Whyte likely would be off the table for future opponents, for the forseeable future, we don't know exactly why he turned the deal down, we don't know what he was thinking, but I'm sure he gave thanks to God on thanksgiving day that he did. If he had signed the deal he would have been the turkey. If he signs the DaZN you would be here the with the usual suspects in tow, probably saying he got a lucky decision against Fury and was ducking a Fury rematch, "a guy he was supposedly chasing", I can see your post now

This thread is about why the fight couldn't have happened that is down to Ruiz beating AJ badly. But many AJ fans can't seem to accept this and want to change the narrative, like how when AJ lost they was all this concussion talk, AJ's dad fighting Hearn, AJ having panic attacks before the fight. I have to admire AJ's fans ability to counter attack, if only AJ shared this last june.

Last edited:
Great post. Wilder fans talking absolute shit as usual. Wilder ducked AJ, that is a fact. And Wilder must be gutted now that Ruiz took AJ out. I bet he is kicking himself for not taking that fight!

source.gif

Wilders reported purse vs Ortiz is $20m. The AJ fight which couldn't happen anyway would have been $40m, this is double and talking about net worth, looks like an attempt to obfuscate. He is likely to have 2 fights vs Fury we will see what they do and how much they make. That is the beauty of an open ended arrangement.
obfuscate what? does adding a 100M to 40M not triple one's net worth?

he was offered almost double the money to fuck up breazeale. are you saying he would be making less than 20M fighting ortiz under DAZN?

he was offered 100M for three fights: breazeale and AJ twice. he refused and fought breazeale for 12, and ortiz for 20 instead. nevermind the 68M that's missing to the 100, let's for the sake of argument say he knew he wouldn't be facing AJ. are you trying to tell me they'd be paying him less than 20M for the other two fights?

anyone who pretends that wilder turned the offer down because of cash is a god damn fool.

He was as much, maybe more of a PPV commodity, in the US market than AJ going into those negotiations, thus no reason he should accept 'b' side status for fights 1 and 2 with AJ. A historically bad unification offer to make when you have to go the guys home country to make the fight, I have never seen a unification deal like it!
yeah, and AJ is still a far bigger star globally, and is absolutely, without any doubt the 'A' side here.

wilder vs fury sold 325k PPVs in the US. those aren't exactly floyd mayweather numbers.

If he had signed the DaZN deal Ruiz, Fury, AJ, maybe even Whyte likely would be off the table for future opponents, for the forseeable future, we don't know exactly why he turned the deal down, we don't know what he was thinking, but I'm sure he gave thanks to God on thanksgiving day that he did. If he had signed the deal he would have been the turkey. If he signs the DaZN you would be here the with the usual suspects in tow, probably saying he got a lucky decision against Fury and was ducking a Fury rematch, "a guy he was supposedly chasing", I can see your post now
his manager told us he turned it down because they weren't told how much AJ was making. wilder himself said some idiotic nonsense when asked why he turned it down.

yeah, he would've been completely screwed making tons of money fighting on DAZN. a brilliant move on his part, he truly is a master strategist.

This thread is about why the fight couldn't have happened that is down to Ruiz beating AJ badly. But many AJ fans can't seem to accept this and want to change the narrative, like how when AJ lost they was all this concussion talk, AJ's dad fighting Hearn, AJ having panic attacks before the fight. I have to admire AJ's fans ability to counter attack, if only AJ shared this last june.
this isn't the first time the fight was on the table. how difficult is that to understand?

AJ: want to fight for 5M?
wilder: no.
AJ: want to fight for 15M?
AJ: want to fight for 25M?
AJ: want to fight for 40M?
*AJ loses to ruiz*
wilder's fans: ha ha see joshua was ducking him all along!!! this proves it!!1!1!one

these pesky AJ fans changing the narrative!

obfuscate what? does adding a 100M to 40M not triple one's net worth?

he was offered almost double the money to fuck up breazeale. are you saying he would be making less than 20M fighting ortiz under DAZN?

he was offered 100M for three fights: breazeale and AJ twice. he refused and fought breazeale for 12, and ortiz for 20 instead. nevermind the 68M that's missing to the 100, let's for the sake of argument say he knew he wouldn't be facing AJ. are you trying to tell me they'd be paying him less than 20M for the other two fights?

anyone who pretends that wilder turned the offer down because of cash is a god damn fool.

yeah, and AJ is still a far bigger star globally, and is absolutely, without any doubt the 'A' side here.

wilder vs fury sold 325k PPVs in the US. those aren't exactly floyd mayweather numbers.

his manager told us he turned it down because they weren't told how much AJ was making. wilder himself said some idiotic nonsense when asked why he turned it down.

yeah, he would've been completely screwed making tons of money fighting on DAZN. a brilliant move on his part, he truly is a master strategist.

this isn't the first time the fight was on the table. how difficult is that to understand?

AJ: want to fight for 5M?
AJ: want to fight for 15M?
AJ: want to fight for 25M?
AJ: want to fight for 40M?
*AJ loses to ruiz*
wilder's fans: ha ha see joshua was ducking him all along!!! this proves it!!1!1!one

these pesky AJ fans changing the narrative!

I'm not sure you know what net worth means. Net worth would include all business deals from out of the ring, he has done, not only that, you conclude he has a net worth of $40m, which you have seemingly plucked out of no mans land

If he had signed with DaZN, he may not be getting Ortiz at all, he almost certainly wouldn't be getting Fury who is exclusive to top rank, nor AJ yet. The 100m was based on fighting AJ, no AJ, no 100m and little chance of fighting top competition, he would be stranded in the no mans land where you plucked that $40m net worth figure from, at least he would have your imaginary figures to console himself

In the real world, Wilder can fight Fury next, build his profile further and take on the world, if he wins. I don't think the DaZn deal was as good as it could be, but thank God, Hearn offered a low ball offer, where you remain the 'b' side no matter what. If the deal had been better, he might have signed away his freedom for nothing. The prospect of no decent opposition and small money on DaZn, could make some of them Don king contracts look pretty appealing by comparison!!

Currently Wilder seems happy to take on the toughest challenges possible, he is rematching the 2 toughest guys he has ever fought, including a guy who clowned him for near 12 rounds. Whereas AJ got beat fighting someone who according to you
no one - wilder included - expected AJ to lose. l.... the world expected AJ to murk miller, and when miller was replaced by ruiz, everyone and their mom expected AJ to murk him too."

Whilst AJ's team looked for easy fight like Miller and Ruiz (and still got beat), seems like fortune is favouring Wilder's bravery. Hopefully all promoters learn from this

Last edited:
seems like fortune is favouring Wilder's bravery. Hopefully all promoters learn from this

Hahahaha I’ve heard it all now!

You giving him credit for chasing a fat fury based on his comeback fight (that was instead of Joshua and the undisputed title by the way), or that his only really worthy opponent in 10 fights was Ortiz first time round. his list of challengers for the time he’s been champion is a joke! Yet you’ll claim that povetkin, klit, Whyte, Parker are all over blown. You digging anyone out for being a fan boy is laughable and ironic

Hahahaha I’ve heard it all now!

You giving him credit for chasing a fat fury based on his comeback fight (that was instead of Joshua and the undisputed title by the way), or that his only really worthy opponent in 10 fights was Ortiz first time round. his list of challengers for the time he’s been champion is a joke! Yet you’ll claim that povetkin, klit, Whyte, Parker are all over blown. You digging anyone out for being a fan boy is laughable and ironic

You are criticising Wilder for fighting fat guys, when AJ has been lining up Miller and Ruiz all year!! AJ's world titles are the only belts that ruiz has ever owned that weren't elastic

Fury always fights to the level of his opponents and looked pretty bad in the lead up the wlad fight, he is very dangerous, probably he best heavyweight in the world and Wilder has chased him for over a year. Fury and Wilder are taking on each other in their prime back and forth, whilst AJ is chasing fat guys like a krispy kreme salesman

You criticise Wilder for chasing fat guys, but say nothing when AJ chases Miller and Ruiz, You criticise Ortiz for being old, but don't mention AJ's likely best 2 wins came against 40 something Povetkin and Wlad. You shouldn't bring up the topic of posters being fan boys

Joshua and Hearn wanted no part of Wilder so they short changed him and claimed he was ducking.

We seen why, didn't we? The dosser couldn't even take a punch from Andy Ruiz. Had him on Queer Street and loving it. Hate to see what Wilder wouldve done to em

Yeah Wilder ducked Joshua by fighting a better and more dangerous opponent in Ortiz Twice and fighting a better UK boxer in Fury once and rematching him too.

Wilder isnt the one who allegedly had a panic attack in fear of Andy Ruiz. Wilder isnt the one who refused to walk to the ref in order to not take anymore of a beating from Ruiz. Wilder isn't the one who Ruiz said quit.
Wilder isn't the one who had a mental break down and turned to drugs in fear of rematching an angry and focused Vlad. Wilder isn't the one who pulled out of that fight and hid for years.

So if Wilder did "duck Joshua"....How come you guys dont hold your UK champs to the same criticisms?

I'm not sure you know what net worth means. Net worth would include all business deals from out of the ring, he has done, not only that, you conclude he has a net worth of $40m, which you have seemingly plucked out of no mans land

If he had signed with DaZN, he may not be getting Ortiz at all, he almost certainly wouldn't be getting Fury who is exclusive to top rank, nor AJ yet. The 100m was based on fighting AJ, no AJ, no 100m and little chance of fighting top competition, he would be stranded in the no mans land where you plucked that $40m net worth figure from, at least he would have your imaginary figures to console himself

In the real world, Wilder can fight Fury next, build his profile further and take on the world, if he wins. I don't think the DaZn deal was as good as it could be, but thank God, Hearn offered a low ball offer, where you remain the 'b' side no matter what. If the deal had been better, he might have signed away his freedom for nothing. The prospect of no decent opposition and small money on DaZn, could make some of them Don king contracts look pretty appealing by comparison!!

Currently Wilder seems happy to take on the toughest challenges possible, he is rematching the 2 toughest guys he has ever fought, including a guy who clowned him for near 12 rounds. Whereas AJ got beat fighting someone who according to you

Whilst AJ's team looked for easy fight like Miller and Ruiz (and still got beat), seems like fortune is favouring Wilder's bravery. Hopefully all promoters learn from this
you write all that, without addressing a single point in my post.

the 40M of wilder's net worth was from a quick google search which gave me a forbes result. i'm guessing it's somewhere in the ballpark.

what the fuck is with wilder building his profile further to take on the world?? he's 42-0 and holding a title, and AJ was the biggest match in HW boxing he could get when it was offered to him. are we pretending wilder is going to fight bigger fish than AJ for beating a 40 year old ortiz the second time? who? who is this bigger fight that wilder needs to prop himself up for?

and he might've signed away his freedom for nothing? it was a three fight deal. all those deals are also time limited. it's hilarious how people like you want to pretend that the DAZN deal would've somehow impeded his career... by paying him double for breazeale. i'm sure the second and third fight on the contract would've been for 200k dollars, lol.

i don't even care who wins between AJ and wilder. i have no horse in this race, i'm not a particular fan of either guy, so i don't give a flying fuck. but both men ran their mouths about how badly they wanted the fight, and one of them kept offering the other increasing amounts of money, while the other refused again and again.

the fact that AJ got beat by ruiz does not somehow alter the past and mean that wilder wanted to fight him all along. anyone who isn't in elementary school understands that.

Joshua and Hearn wanted no part of Wilder so they short changed him and claimed he was ducking.

We seen why, didn't we? The dosser couldn't even take a punch from Andy Ruiz. Had him on Queer Street and loving it. Hate to see what Wilder wouldve done to em

80m for 2 fights is hardly short changing him. Quite the opposite in fact considering what he’s been earning

Yeah Wilder ducked Joshua by fighting a better and more dangerous opponent in Ortiz Twice and fighting a better UK boxer in Fury once and rematching him too.

Wilder isnt the one who allegedly had a panic attack in fear of Andy Ruiz. Wilder isnt the one who refused to walk to the ref in order to not take anymore of a beating from Ruiz. Wilder isn't the one who Ruiz said quit.
Wilder isn't the one who had a mental break down and turned to drugs in fear of rematching an angry and focused Vlad. Wilder isn't the one who pulled out of that fight and hid for years.

So if Wilder did "duck Joshua"....How come you guys dont hold your UK champs to the same criticisms?
Having the most notable thing on your record be beating a 40 year old Ortiz twice and holding one world title in 43 fights isn't even close to beating Whyte, Wlad, Parker, Povetkin, unifying 3 world titles, and doing it all within 22 fights.

It's funny how you say Wilder didn't do these bad things, but he was never in the ring with them.

It's easy to say Wilder didn't get crumble under these high pressure circumstances when he ran from every opportunity. Wilder didn't fight Ruiz, he didn't fight Whyte, he didn't fight AJ, and he didn't fight arguably the best heavyweight boxer of this millennium.

Last edited:
I sort of understand Wilder not fighting AJ when Hearn offered him less than half of Joshua's purse but his consistent swerving of Whyte, confuses me. Maybe the bodywork and pace strike fear into his heart, as Dillian suspects or maybe he dislikes Hearn and his profiteering?
Wilder being under Hearn, just doesnt fit, if you think about it. And 20m a fight is not to be scoffed at, come on!

Wilders power is overrated and even Wilder knows that. This is the reason why he ducked Joshua.

Great point, well made! I really respect people like you who come back with such a nuanced well-reasoned argument. Now in a language, you might understand:

tenor.gif

Back