Law Dems blocking Senate relief bill bc it doesn't cancel $10k of student debt

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Exactly. I know why she went in to office, for power and to enrich herself. I'm asking why the hell she hasn't been voted out.
Because she's the Left's McConnell.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
Pelosi Optimistic About Deal On Coronavirus Stimulus Bill - https://www.npr.org/2020/03/24/8206...l-optimism-over-coronavirus-financial-package

I know I’ll catch a ton of flack for this, and usually I would sooner spit on a career politician before complimenting them, but I’m honestly glad a Pelosi-like figure is still watching out for the party, it’s at least SOME kind of competent counter-weight against the big Don.

Conservatives are SUPPOSED to be against bailouts, but now with Donald pulling the levers they suddenly aren’t.

Anyways- they’re hashing I cut the details still but the “CEO bonuses” and “stock buybacks” were among the main issues raised by the dems, and I’m guessing as shrewd as Pelosi has been, they’re not going to get much past her. It was already a huge political gamble hanging up the aid package this long but hopefully it pays off.

Sorry but aren't a lot of things that have nothing to due with the pandemic being shoved into these stimulus bills by both parties?

As a society, we don't act as isolated beings though. I have a lot of friends. They have friends, and so on. We talk to each other. Share ideas. Just like on this forum. I'm not only making economic choices for myself, I'm sharing those choices and the rationale behind them. It spreads, just like the virus that spurred this discussion. Hoping that enough others buy into (or already share) the same view. "Doing my part" to limit the chance of the economy cratering and thus my life worsening.

None of what you're describing would entail that you not profiteer for pragmatic reasons. You could promote your fear that if people do x, y, and z the economy will crater while doing x, y, and z yourself. If people heeded your advice while you capitalized, your pragmatic goals would be fulfilled -- cratering averted (assuming you have much influence) while you wait for your payout.

My guess is that you're not a hypocrite like that, and you actually think you have an ethical obligation not to profiteer especially hypocritically.

This dude is straight up shit tier trolling

The only thing this bill should have dealt with was payments to individuals.

Their 2nd bill should have addressed small businesses

Their 3rd bill could have addressed corps.

Who cares, this is all going to blow over by the time they agree on anything

The only thing this bill should have dealt with was payments to individuals.

Their 2nd bill should have addressed small businesses

Their 3rd bill could have addressed corps.

Uhh...

No.

The priority should be PPE and bolstering hospitals, etc.

NOT a paltry $1K for some Americans.

A priority should be bolstering UNEMPLOYMENT CHECKS......................etc, etc............

So. Many. People. Are. Going. To. Have. Zero. Money. Coming. In.

This dude is straight up shit tier trolling

Don't expect some of the mods to do their job and give the guy dubs/ban for clearly trolling. If it were a poster doing this spouting the opposite views, it would've happened already.

None of what you're describing would entail that you not profiteer for pragmatic reasons. You could promote your fear that if people do x, y, and z the economy will crater while doing x, y, and z yourself. If people heeded your advice while you capitalized, your pragmatic goals would be fulfilled -- cratering averted (assuming you have much influence) while you wait for your payout.

My guess is that you're not a hypocrite like that, and you actually think you have an ethical obligation not to profiteer especially hypocritically.

Or...I don't think I'd be convincing enough if I wasn't practicing it myself. I need to live the way that I'm encouraging others to live or they'll see through my charade and now nobody is taking the steps necessary to not crater the economy.

Also, if we hit rewind to another point...you said there were no real negative consequences for others by having student loan debt and mortgage payments temporarily suspended. But if banks aren't collecting that $, aren't we risking them being undercapitalized, which jeopardizes us all? Seems like there very well could potentially be some negative consequences for everyone by doing it. Catastrophic? I doubt it. But it seems simplistic to believe that there are NO negative consequences possible...

Or...I don't think I'd be convincing enough if I wasn't practicing it myself. I need to live the way that I'm encouraging others to live or they'll see through my charade and now nobody is taking the steps necessary to not crater the economy.

Also, if we hit rewind to another point...you said there were no real negative consequences for others by having student loan debt and mortgage payments temporarily suspended. But if banks aren't collecting that $, aren't we risking them being undercapitalized, which jeopardizes us all? Seems like there very well could potentially be some negative consequences for everyone by doing it. Catastrophic? I doubt it. But it seems simplistic to believe that there are NO negative consequences possible...

How many people that you try to influence keep track of your investments? How many people are in this circle on which the cratering of the economy hinges? Are that many people really going to find out if you used the money from your mortgage payments to buy up these cheap stocks, much less follow suit?

I’m honestly glad a Pelosi-like figure is still watching out for the party, it’s at least SOME kind of competent counter-weight against the big Don.

Conservatives are SUPPOSED to be against bailouts, but now with Donald pulling the levers they suddenly aren’t.

Anyways- they’re hashing I cut the details still but the “CEO bonuses” and “stock buybacks” were among the main issues raised by the dems, and I’m guessing as shrewd as Pelosi has been, they’re not going to get much past her. It was already a huge political gamble hanging up the aid package this long but hopefully it pays off.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

...a Democrat.

That all, just an ordinary, mainstream Democrat as that party is currently configured.

Sorry but aren't a lot of things that have nothing to due with the pandemic being shoved into these stimulus bills by both parties?

I don't think the Republican version had a lot of pork. The main sticking point until Pelosi came back from vacation was that $500 billion was given to the Treasure Secretary for discretionary bailouts. The Dems want more precise rules on who those bailouts could go to, and what those companies could use the money for.

Uhh...

No.

The priority should be PPE and bolstering hospitals, etc.

NOT a paltry $1K for some Americans.

A priority should be bolstering UNEMPLOYMENT CHECKS......................etc, etc............

So. Many. People. Are. Going. To. Have. Zero. Money. Coming. In.

Why do you type like a teenage girl?

The ideologues on the Dem side have and will shit in the punch bowl.

They cannot help themselves.

Now is not the tie for either side to try to slip one past the goalie.

How many people that you try to influence keep track of your investments? How many people are in this circle on which the cratering of the economy hinges? Are that many people really going to find out if you used the money from your mortgage payments to buy up these cheap stocks, much less follow suit?

No idea in this hypothetical. Ideas spread though. It's not a small circle when that happens, it can end up being most middle class Americans. And that doesn't address that fact that maybe I have no confidence in myself to "dupe" other smart people into not profiteering, even if I wanted to.

Speaking of buying up cheap stocks...you're okay with a temporary suspension of making people pay back their student loans. While some may well default under the current conditions, you do realize that most would still find a way to make their payments, right? Even if the % is lower than it would in normal times. It doesn't bother you that the ones who are still able to afford their payments can have them suspended for the next X months and use that money to buy up stocks that are incredibly undervalued, thus gaining an unfair advantage over you?

Back