Law Democrats introduce bill to enact term limits for Supreme Court justices

Fergelmince

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
"A group of House Democrats introduced a bill on Tuesday to enact term limits for Supreme Court justices, arguing that the move will “restore legitimacy and independence to the nation’s highest court.”

The legislation, titled the Supreme Court Tenure Establishment and Retirement Modernization Act, would authorize the president to nominate Supreme Court justices every two years — in the first and third years after a presidential election. The justices who have been on the court the longest will be moved to senior status first.

If confirmed by the Senate, those individuals would serve a maximum 18 years on the bench. After their tenures are complete, the Supreme Court justices would retire from active service and assume senior status.

Justices on the bench at the time of the bill’s enactment would switch to senior status one by one as justices are confirmed to the bench in the first and third years after a presidential election.

Under senior status, justices will still hold their office on the Supreme Court, which includes official duties and pay. If the number of justices dips below nine at some point — because of a vacancy, disability or disqualification — the justice who most recently attained senior status would serve as the ninth associate justice."

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...enact-term-limits-for-supreme-court-justices/

*For some odd reason, this bill was not put forth while Ruth Bader Ginsburg was still alive (or on ice).

I like the idea, but it's clearly just sour grapes because they don't have the majority of the court. Why not introduce term limits for Congress as well and add it to the bill if they feel so strongly about maintaining legitimacy?

Would they be able to keep the robes? Or do you give those back?

They have to trade them in for 3 of these

iu

I agree in a general sense, but it's funny at how the two branches of government tasked with voting on such a thing, do not have term limits themselves.

Needless to say, this is not a serious proposal and will go nowhere.

We can vote out congress members. Can’t do that with Supreme Court justices.
So you don't think we need term limits? We have term limits for potus and now they want it for SC but not themselves after they make sweetheart deals with lobbiests that funnel money into their campaigns.
All or notta.

So you don't think we need term limits? We have term limits for potus and now they want it for SC but not themselves after they make sweetheart deals with lobbiests that funnel money into their campaigns.
All or notta.
I didn’t say that.
Do you see the difference between a lifetime appointment and having to be elected though?

If Dems had the majority and still introduced this bill I'd actually give them props.

But they don't, and anyone with half a brain can see what this is.

I agree in a general sense, but it's funny at how the two branches of government tasked with voting on such a thing, do not have term limits themselves.

Needless to say, this is not a serious proposal and will go nowhere.
They are regularly held to account in the form of elections. It's not the same thing...at all.

Last edited:
It's a good thing. As it is right now Justices are pressure to hang-on lest the opposing party gets into power and selects a Liberal/Conservative to the bench.

Everyone's mental faculty degrades over time, so an elderly justice who has been there for 20 odd years is not going to be the same person when he/she was picked.

Back