Democratic Stupidity: can demographically representative voter classes save democracy?

This is America. This is not Iran, Sweden, Pakistan, or North Korea. We don't like Marxism or Communism. We have the Constitution and a Representative Democracy.

Well you would effectively eliminate all Trump voters if you did that. You racist! That's voter suppression.

This is America. This is not Iran, Sweden, Pakistan, or North Korea. We don't like Marxism or Communism. We have the Constitution and a Representative Democracy.
Lol he trolled you RIP. He shouldn't have done that. It wasn't the right thing to do.

I agree we should pay teachers more, but the problem with education, in many cases, isn’t the teachers. It’s their sorry excuse for parents.
Deport the parents.? Or hit them with your car?

This is by far the most illiberal and bourgeois topic I hope to ever discuss, but I think it's worth bouncing around. A recent thread by our own @Ghost in the Dark entitled Democracy doesn't work because most people are Stupid AF rehashed the ages-old argument against democracy, expressed in various terms by Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, that humans are simply too impressionable, impulsive, intellectually lazy, and altogether stupid to handle governing themselves.

In this video (if it is the one I believe it is), Socrates' analogy of democracy to persons electing a minister of medicine is discussed: ignorant voters would be disproportionately drawn to a reductive message propagating a path of lesser resistance, such as consuming tasty but ineffective supposed medicines, over a more empirically sound method of treatment that involves pain or discomfort.

This pessimism about democratic self-governance has never felt more relevant than today, when the world's most powerful democracy has repeatedly voted for swindlers and thieves - and a near-plurality of the country's voters are in fact supporting policies that have expressly cut back on democracy, from racially charged voter purges and suppression to judicial legislating away of democratic rights in the area of collective bargaining and civil remedy.

However, it's difficult to imagine that any ancient philosopher or would-be political scientist could possibly imagine (a) the technological advancements in mass communication and intelligent consensus or (b) the great many strides that have been produced for humankind and human rights that democratic republics would achieve over the next millennium and change.

Equipped with knowledge of both the inherent virtues of democratic values in advancing popular interests and slowly redressing tyranny over society's most vulnerable persons and the inherent flaws of democracy in de-specializing knowledge for governance, some brainstorming could be of value.

So, with that in mind, is it possible -- or rather, preferable -- to consider something like a move toward demographically representative voter classes that are formulated to represent political interests such as religion, income, sex, and race? This would entail some sort of nonpartisan or bipartisan testing method - most obviously testing (a) knowledge of political facts and concepts and (b) intellectual ability generally - whereby a certain percentage (let's say the highest scoring 20%) of the population would be allowed to vote. Such a class would purport to represent the most qualified voters that are demographically representative of the country on bases of relevant demographics like religion, income, sex, and race.

Discuss.

I believe that indirectly Jason Brennan argues for this when he proposes (different forms of) epistocracy, if we assume that it is instituted at a point in time when everyone has equal opportunity to attain the voting right.

But, better yet, extinction.

Oh, Bob.

I present to you Exhibit A:

Frankly, extracting some DNA from the dick of Albert Einstein's corpse and then travelling back in time and injecting it into the primordial ooze is likely a more realistic goal than educating the Pali among us to be even semi-responsible with their franchise.
Stick to making up shit about people wanting to fight you irl. That's at least more entertaining and funny.

So, with that in mind, is it possible -- or rather, preferable -- to consider something like a move toward demographically representative voter classes that are formulated to represent political interests such as religion, income, sex, and race? This would entail some sort of nonpartisan or bipartisan testing method - most obviously testing (a) knowledge of political facts and concepts and (b) intellectual ability generally - whereby a certain percentage (let's say the highest scoring 20%) of the population would be allowed to vote. Such a class would purport to represent the most qualified voters that are demographically representative of the country on bases of relevant demographics like religion, income, sex, and race.
I thought there were no sexes and races?

Kidding, anyway, that system would make the guys (or chicks) who manipulate, errr, I mean "score" the tests the most powerful class. Like almost all forms of government, this will turn into Oligarchy and solve nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy

Back