Democratic party platform now available online

Do you believe that some elements of the DNC's platform are too radical?

• Yes

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The DNC Party Platform has recently been made available on the internet.

It is 91 pages long. I summarized a few things that stood out:

Page 28, paragraph 2 shows that Democrats will introduce a taxpayer-backed Medicare plan for all.
To achieve that objective, we will give all Americans the choice to select a high-quality,affordable public option through the Affordable Care Act marketplace. The public option will provide at least one plan choice without deductibles; will be administered by CMS, not private companies; and will cover all primary care without any co-payments and control costs for other treatments by negotiating prices with doctors and hospitals, just like Medicare does on behalf of older people.

Everyone will be eligible to choose the public option or another Affordable Care Act marketplace plan. To help close the persistent racial gap in insurance rates, Democrats will expand funding for Affordable Care Act outreach and enrollment programs, so every American knows their options for securing quality, affordable coverage.

Page 31, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will expand medical coverage to non-citizens
We will expand access to health care for people living and working across the United States by extending Affordable Care Act coverage to Dreamers, and working with Congress to lift the five-year waiting period for Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program eligibility for low-income, lawfully present immigrants.

Page 32, paragraph 3 shows that Democrats will include abortion in medical coverage.
Democrats are committed to protecting and advancing reproductive health, rights, and justice.We believe unequivocally, like the majority of Americans, that every woman should be able to access high-quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion.
Page 32, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will mandate sex education curriculum.
We recognize that quality, affordable comprehensive health care; medically accurate, LGBTQ+ inclusive, age-appropriate sex education; and the full range of family planning services are all essential to ensuring that people can decide if, when, and how to start a family.

Page 33, paragraph 2 shows that Democrats will mandate that "gender transition" for LGBTQ people be included in insurance coverage.
Democrats will reverse this rule making and restore nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV/AIDS in health insurance, including coverage of all medically necessary care for gender transition.

Page 40, paragraph 3 shows that Democrats will consider tax payer funded reparations for slavery and the Jim Crow laws Democrats enacted long ago.
We believe Black lives matter, and will establish a national commission to examine the lasting economic effects of slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and racially discriminatory federal policies on income, wealth, educational, health, and employment outcomes; to pursue truth and promote racial healing; and to study reparations. We must acknowledge that there can be no realization of the American dream without grappling with the lasting effects of slavery, and facing up to the centuries-long campaign of violence, fear, and trauma wrought upon Black Americans

Page 42, paragraph 4 shows that Democrats will mandate that it is lawful for LGBTQ people to use bathrooms and participate in programs based on their "gender identity."
We will work to ensure LGBTQ+ people are not discriminated against when seeking to adopt or foster children, protect LGBTQ+ children from bullying and assault,and guarantee transgender students’ access to facilities based on their gender identity. Democrats will ensure federally funded programs for older adults are inclusive for LGBTQ+ seniors.

Page 48, paragraph 1 shows that Democrats will outlaw "assault weapons" and make gun manufacturers liable for consumer misuse of firearms.
Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing requirements for owning firearms and extreme risk protection order laws that allow courts to temporarily remove guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.

Page 51, paragraph 6 shows that Democrats will enact policy that echos "The Green New Deal."
We will set a bold, national goal of achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions for all new buildings by 2030, on the pathway to creating a 100 percent clean building sector.

Page 61, paragraph 6 shows that Democrats will cease construction of a physical border.
Democrats will rescind President Trump’s fabricated “National Emergency,” which siphonsfunding away from our men and women in uniform to construct an unnecessary, wasteful, and ineffective wall on the southern border.

Page 62, paragraph 4 shows that Democrats will import cheap labor.
Even as we work to reverse the enormous damage caused by the Trump Administration, we are determined to build a 21st century immigration system that embodies our values, expands economic opportunity for all Americans, and enhances our global competitiveness.

Page 62, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will naturalize people working in the United States that migrated here illegally.
Democrats believe it is long past time to provide a roadmap to citizenship for the millions of undocumented workers, caregivers, students, and children who are an essential part of our economy and of the fabric of our nation.

Page 70, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will significantly shift the burden of college debt to tax-payers.
Democrats support modernizing and improving the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, including making the enrollment process automatic for people who work in schools, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.

It’s a bit of nit-picking to discern if something is “too radical” just because one disagrees with it. There are things I’m not necessarily in agreement with, but I don’t know that I’d call those individual things “too radical.”

I got to:

"Everyone will be eligible to choose the public option. The public option will provide at least one plan choice without deductibles; will be administered by CMS, not private companies; and will cover all primary care without any co-payments and control costs for other treatments by negotiating prices with doctors and hospitals, just like Medicare does on behalf of older people."

and its already better than anything the GOP has put forward in my lifetime.

Here's my dirty, dirty secret, TS, and long as my family and I have guaranteed access to affordable healthcare, I could give a FUCK about what someone else does with their gender identity.

Last edited:
I got to "Everyone will be eligible to choose the public option or another Affordable Care Act marketplace plan" and decided it was better than anything the GOP has put forward in my lifetime.
And it is still not medicare for all, as the TS describes it.

Did they say if they're gonna pack the fucking courts or did sleepy biden bitch ass forget that part. Fuckin democrats.

The DNC Party Platform has recently been made available on the internet.

It is 91 pages long. I summarized a few things that stood out:

Page 28, paragraph 2 shows that Democrats will introduce a taxpayer-backed Medicare plan for all.

Page 31, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will expand medical coverage to non-citizens

Page 32, paragraph 3 shows that Democrats will include abortion in covered health coverage.

Page 32, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will mandate sex education curriculum.

Page 33, paragraph 2 shows that Democrats will mandate that "gender transition" for LGBTQ people be included in insurance coverage.

Page 40, paragraph 3 shows that Democrats will consider tax payer funded reparations for slavery, and the Jim Crow laws Democrats enacted long ago.

Page 42, paragraph 4 shows that Democrats will mandate it is lawful for LGBTQ people to use bathrooms and participate in programs based on their "gender identity."

Page 48, paragraph 1 shows that Democrats will outlaw "assault weapons" and make gun manufacturers liable for consumer misuse of firearms.

Page 51, paragraph 6 shows that Democrats will enact policy that echos "The Green New Deal."

Page 61, paragraph 6 shows that Democrats will cease construction of a physical border.

Page 62, paragraph 4 shows that Democrats will import cheap labor.

Page 62, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will naturalize people working in the United States that migrated here illegally.

Page 70, paragraph 5 shows that Democrats will significantly shift the burden of college debt to tax-payers.

I'm down with most of this except for the assault rifle ban and direct reparations. A few corrections on your claims though.

They are not offering Medicare for all, they are offering a public option. This was a clear distinction between Bernie Sanders and Biden during the primaries.

They are not offering anything close to the green new deal.

"Democrats will import cheap labor." - that's an interesting interpretation of much needed immigration reform

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness program already exists, they are just making enrollment automatic for certain industries.

Wow, your descriptions of what is stated are in no way biased, uninformed, and wrong.
That's true except for the "bias" part. It's funny. I have noticed virtually everyone on these message boards have biases. Who would have thought?

I'm down with most of this except for the assault rifle ban and direct reparations. A few corrections on your claims though.

They are not offering Medicare for all, they are offering a public option. This was a clear distinction between Bernie Sanders and Biden during the primaries.
That is "Medicare for all" because allowing a cheaper public option (that can remain cheap because it is backed by the tax payer) will result in a growing number of people buying into it and private insurance being phased out to a point that only the wealthiest people can afford premium private coverage.
They are not offering anything close to the green new deal.
There are some parallels referenced above (100% green energy promise and "new buildings"). It will be costly on a very large scale.
"Democrats will import cheap labor." - that's an interesting interpretation of much needed immigration reform
That is what is coded in the bolded statement. India and China's economies were both projected long ago to experience significant growth due to access to cheap labor.
The Public Service Loan Forgiveness program already exists, they are just making enrollment automatic for certain industries.
They are clearly stating that they are expanding it significantly (to include people in "not for profit organizations"). I wonder who that might include...

Last edited:
That's true except for the "bias" part. It's funny. I have noticed virtually everyone on these message boards have biases. Who would have thought?
True enough. :)
And I appreciate the time you took to summarize this and make the thread. But he does have a valid point. I know we all have our biases—and I have not yet read the entirety of the platform. I think you did a good job overall, and appreciate it. I do think there are a few points that could have been phrased differently, to have less bias.

Some of that is really scary. Stopping construction of the border wall would be a foolish, at this point. The bathroom issue is dangerous, and I am pro-Trans rights. Seriously with the Green New Deal? Still?

Ah ha ha. Tax payer funded gender reassignment surgeries. One of the many things we were told was definitely not on the table.

Oh and banning AR-15s. Well Dems, there it went. You lost the election.

Last edited:
Back