Demian Maia vs Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson for the #1 contender spot at WW?

Who wins Demian Maia or Stephen Thompson?

• Total voters
Maia is too flat footed and would get KOd. Maia wouldn't last past the first round. Hendricks and Ellenberger are both way more competent with their striking and they couldn't get passed the first round.

I think Maia would beat him, but I also think that Wonderboy has a better chance at beating Lawler than Maia does. Wonderboy also has a 6-fight win streak that is more impressive than Maia's 4-fight win streak.

Just give Wonderboy the shot. That's the fight I want to see not Maia possibly Fitch him or Lawler.

Wonderboy beating Hendricks trumps.
Woodley beating Gastelum
Maia beating Gunnar...

Wonderboy is for real, but I think Maia is the worst possible matchup in WW for him. I have Maia via smother.

Maia deserves a title shot after he taps brown (I believe he will and make it look easy) and I believe he wins if lawler is still champ which I think he will be.

why the hell should maia fight woodley after beting brown?? why dont make him fight lalwer and condit next too, you know theres always someone else for maia to fight before the title..
yea, i guess you are right :/ it's so clogged at the top right now. i guess it comes down to how that fight goes. but it is going to be hard to outdo wonderboy's performance. woodley is already waiting for the shot, but beating gastelum by split doesn't blow people's socks off. I guess Maia could destroy brown and have his case also. but if he wins in a lackluster fashion what do you suggest they do with him? condit still has claim to his rematch. that's a lot of sitting on the sidelines for woodley and maia, so i suggested they fight. and if the ufc thinks it can make more money off the wonderboy fight, they will do it.

yea, i guess you are right :/ it's so clogged at the top right now. i guess it comes down to how that fight goes. but it is going to be hard to outdo wonderboy's performance. woodley is already waiting for the shot, but beating gastelum by split doesn't blow people's socks off. I guess Maia could destroy brown and have his case also. but if he wins in a lackluster fashion what do you suggest they do with him? condit still has claim to his rematch. that's a lot of sitting on the sidelines for woodley and maia, so i suggested they fight. and if the ufc thinks it can make more money off the wonderboy fight, they will do it.

Condit can get back in line, may be fight Woodley and if he wins he gets close to the title again, Woodley has been sitting on his ass for about a year wating for the title shot with a decision over Gastelum. Im fine with wonderboy getting the shot, but maia should beat Brown and wait for the winner of that fight, but it also depends on timing, robbie just fought a month ago, if they fight say in the next 4 months, and the outcome allows the champ to fight one more time this year, maia should wait for the winner,but if the champ has like 6 months suspension or something liek that, fuck it, then I can see maia fighting woodley or condit for n° contender.

Wonderboy beating Hendricks trumps.
Woodley beating Gastelum
Maia beating Gunnar...

gunnar and brown, acttually, but wonderboy beating hendricks the way he did, I think he has secure the n°1 spot.

Maia doesn't have to end up on top after a TD. He'll get a hold of Wonderboy than pull guard. From there it's nightmare time for Wonderboy.

Then again Nate Marquardt dropped Maia like a sack of potatoes.

He did, but Maia basically ran into that shot. Like when Manhoef KO'd Hunto, the power of the shot was doubled by his momentum.

I do think Maia has a pretty good chin generally, and he would beat Wonderboy via his skill in the clinch, TDs and relentlessness.

Maia already have a fight scheduled.
Stop waste time and give the title match that Wonderboy deserves.

Maia doesn't have to end up on top after a TD. He'll get a hold of Wonderboy than pull guard. From there it's nightmare time for Wonderboy.

Then again Nate Marquardt dropped Maia like a sack of potatoes.

If his Jui Jitsu is good enough to let a massive striking expert get on top of you and he can manipulate that into a submission from there.....just give him the title.

Wonderboy should be a considerable favorite against anyone at this point.

Give them both title shots consecutively. Why not?

Maia gasses after good start and Thompson fucks him up!!

I think Condit probably can give wonderboy a lot problem due to his size and reach, I really want to see that fight but I'm afraid for Condit chin.

Lawler vs Woodley
Condit vs Wonderboy

I think Condit probably can give wonderboy a lot problem due to his size and reach, I really want to see that fight but I'm afraid for Condit chin.

Lawler vs Woodley
Condit vs Wonderboy
Nah, Lawler vs Wonderboy besept for the case of GSP returning at UFC 200.
What as Woodley done for tite shot. A split decision over Gastelum??

i would be rooting for Maiai ( though I like both guys) but I have to pick Wonderboy has I remember the Anderson fight.

I'd avoid that and give him the title shot vs Lawler. He's very exciting and stylistically should beat Lawler.

Although we saw Hendricks fail to take Thompson down, there's no doubt in my mind that Maia could take Thompson down. Far better bodylock takedowns, trips and even pulling Thompson down into his guard or to attack the legs.

I'd like to see;

Lawler vs Thompson
Maia vs Woodley

Back