Demian Maia vs. Ryan LaFlare @ UFN Rio

Maia is good, but I don't think he will win any big fights anymore, Shields passed his guard and even out grappled him without problem.

Shields never passed his guard, he just kept advancing to half guard and getting back to guard to ride time on top. Watch the fight again,
Demian on the other hand took him down 3 or 4 times, got his back and defended several takedowns.
To Jake's credit (who is an amazing grappler) he had two very good reversals with Demian on his back, or getting there, and Demian had trouble reversing him. But that had also a lot to do with Jake playing safe from top, and Demian trying to get to better positions like taking his back, which he did briefly.

Maia was scheduled to fight Pierce, then Pyle, then he eventually faced Yakovlvev. What I'm saying is he's in the top 15-20 tier right now, and is getting matched accordingly.

You got the order wrong. Demian was schedule to fight Pierce, Pierce got injured 8 weeks away and it got Switched to Yakovlev, who was already training for a fight 21 days earlier in Ohio.
Then after that win, Demian was scheduled to fight Pyle and got injured and has been sidelined ever since. Now he is facing LaFlare who was also sidelined for a while.

go demian!!! i'm looking forward to seeing him again, finally healthy. :)

Back