Demian Maia submits Gabriel Gonzaga

Another video you guys might find interesting... he isn't submitting anyone in it but Mir will tell you the story

Great view man, I'd completely missed that. Maia truly is in a league of his own. Loved the bit where Maia was all perplexed as to why Mir wasn't going all-out, when he most certainly was.

My opinion of Gonzaga's grappling actually went up after seeing this a few years ago. Dude's one of the best pure BJJ artists in the UFC, just not a patch on Damian Maia. No shame in that.

Nothing against Jacare, but it was also kind of bullshit, if you see the match. Roger breaks Jacare's arm in an armbar, Jacare drags them 'out of bounds', so he gets to be restarted. Then he just runs until the time runs out, with one arm. And since he was up on points, he 'wins'. That's not really jiujitsu to me. Roger broke his fuckin arm. That's jiujitsu (imo)

Who cares. The heart it took to do that is the real story there.

In the rules of that match, is a break an auto win like it would be in the UFC, or only tap?

Who cares. The heart it took to do that is the real story there.

In the rules of that match, is a break an auto win like it would be in the UFC, or only tap?

I think Roger's technique of breaking Jacare's arm is the real story, and that Jacare being wily and using the out of bounds / restart via the ref / points is the secondary story. I am more into the martial art (in this case, Jiujitsu) than the rules, and how they can be exploited to 'beat' an opponent who broke your arm.

To each their own though!

I think Roger's technique of breaking Jacare's arm is the real story, and that Jacare being wily and using the out of bounds / restart via the ref / points is the secondary story. I am more into the martial art (in this case, Jiujitsu) than the rules, and how they can be exploited to 'beat' an opponent who broke your arm.

To each their own though!

Roger is better at BJJ and is the GOAT, it is known. I think most people knew that even after the match. We see great armbars all the time. We rarely see someone with the heart to drag a man out of bounds with his broken arm still in an armbar, then fend him off for the rest of the match to win.

That's an incredibly rare and special display of heart, will, and determination. 99.9% of people on this planet would of tapped out or given up. So to see go through that, not give up, and get the win was just special.

Roger is better at BJJ and is the GOAT, it is known. I think most people knew that even after the match. We see great armbars all the time. We rarely see someone with the heart to drag a man out of bounds with his broken arm still in an armbar, then fend him off for the rest of the match to win.

That's an incredibly rare and special display of heart, will, and determination. 99.9% of people on this planet would of tapped out or given up. So to see go through that, not give up, and get the win was just special.

I agree with all of that, except I don't think Jacare really won. That was my only point.

Jacare definitely showed great heart and all that.

Not too shocking.

Maia's BJJ is top notch and its always a bit easier to sub the bigger men because of poor reaction time compared to smaller men.

Plus I'm sure everyone is in agreement that Maia's BJJ is significantly better than Gonzaga's.

I was actually impressed by Rory's performance. Some MMA guys that come over to Metamoris fight very defensively to not get submitted... Not to win.

Rory went for it in his match and took chances.

Of course I don't expect UFC fighters to come over and dominate in JJ matches (unless they were highly decorated and came from a JJ base). But many top guys can fight to not get submitted during the match and end up in a draw.

Agreed. Rory was aggressive and got out of some bad jams.

Not too shocking.

Maia's BJJ is top notch and its always a bit easier to sub the bigger men because of poor reaction time compared to smaller men.

Plus I'm sure everyone is in agreement that Maia's BJJ is significantly better than Gonzaga's.

Thanks for sharing. Love Gabrial Gonzega, shame he's usually on the losing end of everything.

According to Demian himself (as I asked him today after reading this topic) he only fought Jacare twice in Grapplimg (as I remembered) not three times.
One at te 2005 ADCC final (lost), and one at te BJJ world cup final (Won).
So the info about three fights between them is not correct. At least according to Demian : )

Wow that's amazing!!! So they are really 1-1.

Thank you so much Eduardo, for clearing this mystery up. Seriously, this has been brought up for like the past 6 years or so on here.

You are the man. Obrigado

Wow that's amazing!!! So they are really 1-1.

Thank you so much Eduardo, for clearing this mystery up. Seriously, this has been brought up for like the past 6 years or so on here.

You are the man. Obrigado

The grappling world needs a rubber match.

Since we are posting grappling videos.... Anyone seen Palhares vs Galvao? I love Toquino but Galvao countered that heelhook LIKE A BOSS.....(starts at 3:20)

Galvao is such a beast when it comes to grappling.

UNpossible everyone on sherdog knows no one can beat anyone bigger than they are at anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back