Demian Maia #6 Vs Matt Brown #5 needs to happen.

FORXREAL

Insert Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This fight makes too much sense. I see a lot of people saying Gunnar Nelson Vs Demian Maia but that doesn't make a ton of sense and would be a huge step back for Maia. Matt Brown on the other hand is still ranked in the top ten after his last win. With what looks like Lawler vs Condit, and Hendricks vs Woodley booked this seems like a no brainer. Matt Browns willingness to take risks versus Demian Maia's ultra agressive grappling attack leads to a very intriguing styles match up imo. Thoughts?

Demian Maia is the definition of gatekeeper at WW right now.

Apparently Brown is fighting Gaselum. I think Akridge posted it yesterday.

I like Brown vs. Maia better though.

Demian Maia vs Gunnar Nelson needs to happen damnnit!

Demian Maia is the definition of gatekeeper at WW right now.

There is absolutely no way you can actually believe that. He has to lose to someone outside the Top 5 before he can just be a gatekeeper. The divisions Top 5 guys are just really solid right now and all fighting each other, so Demian is working his way up. He will get a Top 10 for his next fight most likely, and then a #1 contender fight if he wins.

Did you see him vs Rory? He can't hang with the elites but he'll beat everyone else.

Well he did win the 1st round against Rory pretty clearly, and then he gassed hard in the 2nd. He can still be a threat to anyone in the division in a 3 round fight, but I don't think his gas tank will hold up in a 5 rounder unfortunately.

are you sure. dana seems against it

Akridge is one of the better posters on here, I'm inclined to believe him.

Sounded more like targeted than confirmed, so there's a chance it's wrong or falls apart. He let Cejudo go back down though, so I imagine he'll let Gastelum.

Says who?

With all due respect. Gleison Tibau, Roy Nelson, Dennis Siver , and in an extreme the likes of Micheal Bisping. These are the definition of "gatekeeper". Fringe top ten fighters who have never fought for a title, but are respected in the division. At some point an up and coming fighter challenges said "gatekeeper" and either wins making a name for themselves or loses and takes a huge step back. Maia is still competetive at the elite level and has fought for a title a weight class up. I wouldn't call him a "gatekeeper". Neil Magny simply did not belong to be in there.

Maia beats Brown also. UD or Sub in 2nd or 3rd.

Well based on this and your other post I can tell you haven't watch much MMA in the last 5 years. I am a big fan of Mia but he totally is a gatekeeper at this point in his career and until he has a good top 5 win that is what people will keep calling him. He "can" beat Brown but everything we've seen from both fighters in the last couple years suggests Brown KO's him in under two rounds is the safe bet. Them's the facts buddy.

Did you see him vs Rory? He can't hang with the elites but he'll beat everyone else.

And what does make Brown any different?

He has been kicking asses in WW, except for the top guys.

I can see Maia beating everyone Brown did, while also losing to Johny and Robbie.

Back