Demetrious Johnson's ONE contract is worth $10M+

3nigma

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Say DJ took the fight with TJ and he was given the money he wanted. I doubt he makes $10M+ over the course of the next few years even if he did win. Probably an uptick in numbers when he headlines but not enough to change things drastically.

He earned less than $4M during his run and perhaps got a cut of some of the PPV.

Passing on this fight and being traded to ONE probably works out better for him.

I wonder if he'll get his Xbox sponsorship back?

great money to fight top 1000 guys

Good for him. He did all he could to raise his profile. Unfortunately, most fight fans are dummies. I'm glad he's getting paid. He can retire after.

Plus... over there they respect the smaller division fight game. Shoot, not even a manlet just average.

Good for DJ, I am sure he is very happy with the deal.

I feel like he’s better suited to fight over there, he’s more low key, I think he will be more respected by the fans over in ONE as well.

DJ did everything he set out to do in the UFC, he shattered the title defense record, now he can make a lot money and end his career with some fun fights over in ONE.

Nobody cared about him before, and nobody cares about him now. If he did land a 10+ mil contract, then he can congratulate himself for being the most overpaid person in the sport.

Don't give a fuck how much he's getting paid.
I'm not gonna tune in to watch him fight nobodies.

You weren't tuning in to anything anyway. You probably bitch about free cards, illegally stream some of the PPVs and bitch about all of it.

When he goes on to dominate and become a legend for One it will all make sense. Over there his division is considered the "heavies".

3BC7A05C00000578-4082128-image-a-27_1483375937166.jpg

Don't give a fuck how much he's getting paid.
I'm not gonna tune in to watch him fight nobodies.

Just because you're a UFC fanboy doesn't mean fighters outside the UFC are "nobodies". Stay ignorant with watching these "somebodies" like CM Punk and Artem Lobov.

I wonder if he'll get his Xbox sponsorship back?
That would be huge for both him and Xbox. Xbox has a laughably small market in japan, Anything they could do to promote it there would be good for them.

I wonder if he'll stick around long enough to physically decline.

Imagine some dude from Singapore pulling a GSP/Serra on him and eventually him struggling to put out their flyweights.

It would be pretty sweet if ONE and Rizin could work a co-promotion on a Kyoji Horiguchi rematch. Bellator and Rizini already set the precedent with Kyoji/Caldwell.

Nobody cared about him before, and nobody cares about him now. If he did land a 10+ mil contract, then he can congratulate himself for being the most overpaid person in the sport.

I'd say 150,000 - 250,000 per PPV cared about DJ, which is 149,999 - 249,999 more people than care about you (I'm including yourself).

Definitely take that 10m number with a grain of salt.
There's probably a lot of contingencies and optimism built into that contract.

But I do see there being a bigger market for his weight class in the asian countries.
I'm sure they have a lot of guys who they have built up in Asia, that they can now market
to sell them fighting world class talent. Even if its just 5 guys who are well known in Asia
thats 5 good PPV right off the bat

Back