Demetrious Johnson on UFC 227 title bout: I probably tore my right LCL and broke my foot

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

Shortly after losing his title at UFC 227, Demetrious Johnson says he’s more upset at getting injured than the somewhat disputed split decision. He says he came in 100%, but got hurt midway through the contest against Henry Cejudo.

“I think I probably tore my right LCL, and then my right foot might be broken,” Johnson revealed during the post-fight press conference.

“I think the right LCL probably happened in the second or third round. I remember we were scrambling, I maybe shot, and he pushed me over and I rolled over my right knee and I felt a pop. I was like ‘Yep, there goes the right LCL. Fantastic.’

“The foot was just from kicking and kicking and kicking.”

As for the actual decision, he almost went as far as saying he believes he won, but was humble and gracious about it all.

“I’m fine. I’ve lost before. I lose in the gym. I’m more upset about the injuries,” Johnson said.

“Stand up numbers, I think I outstruck him, but it happens. I don’t think judges know how to score leg kicks, but it is what it is,” he said. “It could’ve gone any way. Whether I won this fight or I lost it, I’m going to go back home and do what I usually do, spend time with my family, do some video games and go to the gym and keep on learning.

“Of course (I want a rematch) it wasn’t like he blew me out of the water. But first thing’s first. I’m not going to sit here and (talk), I need to get healthy first.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/...bably-tore-my-right-lcl-and-broke-my-foot-mma

Kicking is so overrated. How many times fighters have hurt themselves more than they did their opponents with kicks?

Looked like he mangled Henrys foot as well. That shit was shades of Michael Chandler.

Tough lil mo-foz.

Inb4 people saying he's making excuses.

Injuries are worse because you can't snap back as quick and return. He's gonna be on the shelf for a while if he is right about his injuries.

Kicking is so overrated. How many times fighters have hurt themselves more than they did their opponents with kicks?
Anderson crippled himself in a fight with a failed low leg kick. But when they land, like Vitors and Jones on DC they are epic. I think you got to be hopped up on peds for kicks to really do damage.

Just imagine how badly he would’ve injured himself had he actually been facing a normal sized human being.

This is how a true champion handles a loss. Respect to DJ and I can't wait to see him back in there again.

Now we will prob have a trilogy fight. Glad he lost it shakes up the division and make is slightly interesting at the very least

I think Mighty Mouse is waaay overrated. Anytime someone *starts a division*, and inherits or gains the title extremely early --> I have to wonder how strong the competition will be. The flyweight division isn't new, but in the UFC it doesn't have the pedigree of MW or LHW.

Dang. That being said. Kinda felt MM won that fight. I mean, the takedowns were good. And established dominance - but nothing happened. I gave Cejudo the 2nd and Fourth. Tough one to score. Great fight.

Well, he lost to a guy who looked like he broke his foot off mere seconds into the fight.

Funny says he doesn’t wanna make excuses yet literally makes excuses right after. Lol

Inside leg trips can mess up someone else's knees without even trying

I think Mighty Mouse is waaay overrated. Anytime someone *starts a division*, and inherits or gains the title extremely early --> I have to wonder how strong the competition will be. The flyweight division isn't new, but in the UFC it doesn't have the pedigree of MW or LHW.

Dang. That being said. Kinda felt MM won that fight. I mean, the takedowns were good. And established dominance - but nothing happened. I gave Cejudo the 2nd and Fourth. Tough one to score. Great fight.

I mean, the guy who was supposed to be the FlyW champion (Johnson was more than a 3 to 1 underdog against Benavidez, people forget that) was rated #2 in the BW division before dropping down. He essentially beat the #2 BW in the world to win the FlyW title. That's not a bad starting point for the lineage of the division.

DJ took the loss like a man... handled it with class...
giphy.gif

Why is saying what happened a bad thing?

Should get an immediate rematch imo.

Shertard, where you find the saltiest haters on the internet and losing one fight makes you over rated.

Back