Social Dem lawmaker critizes Biden for ritzy White House dinner serving '200 Maine Lobsters

Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg

all class

Hey!

He saved taxpayer money on that, all from the day-old menu!

Just saw this after I posted. Lobster rolls are for tourists. Just stop at any grocery store and pick up a couple of lobsters for 20-25 dollars and make like 9 lobster rolls.

I lived on lobster one summer, it seemed. I worked on a friends lobster boat and he's give me as much lobster as I could handle. I kind of got sick of it. That was a pretty good job.
We do lobsters occasionally at home (when they are on sale for $8-9 a Lb). Unfortunately the place we were staying at in Maine didn’t have anything to cook on. I love it, made the best thing this summer. Bought two previously steamed lobsters for about $18 at stop and shop, drizzled some sourdough with good olive oil and some salt and pepper, grilled the bread and served the chilled lobster salad on that.

Half the people are having a discussion about the delicacy of lobsters and how it used to not even be a delicacy.

You all have missed the entire point of this thread.

The question should be, what policies has Biden enacted that has impacted the Maine lobster fisherman?

This is an official state dinner. Therefore, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone regarding the expense or extravagance of the meal.

Trump's McDonald's run was for college football players during a government shutdown. To compare the two meals is disingenuous.

I'd like to hear more than just a tweet from that Maine congressman. What regulations is he mentioning? Lobstering off the coast of Maine is one of the most self regulated industries out there. Due to lobstering being a multigenerational family business, they have created more unwritten rules than major league baseball.

And why was the government shut down?

Spoils go to the winner and Biden and the Democrats did much better in the election than expected. Democrats are the party of the wealthy also these days.

So many anti-Americans in this particular thread.

Since no one has mentioned it, the regulations on lobstering in place are due to negative impacts on the Northern Right Whale, the most endangered large whale on earth with less than 350 individuals remaining. Along with vessel collisions, entanglement in lobster and crab trap buoy lines are the main cause of mortality. Since 2017 the population has been declining, with 20% of individuals documented to be killed or seriously injured, with gear entanglements the main cause of adverse events. The species will go extinct without more regulation.

To my knowledge the regulations in place are some restrictions on trap gear like length of rope in the water and weak attachment links, and there was an emergency closure of one high be entanglement area for April. From what I can tell the regulations are coming from the NMFS processes and lawsuits based on the marine mammal protection act, not some top down push from the white house.

If anything, at a time Maine lobster is losing sustainability certifications over the whale issue and losing markets because of the loss of certification, that Dem lawmaker should be thrilled the white house is de facto endorsing Maine lobster by putting it on a menu. It isn't hypocrisy to buy lobster just because regulations have been put in place to prevent a species nearly certain extinction, that's just the way things are supposed to work. I hope the fishery gets all the mitigation gear changes in place and fix the entanglement problem because otherwise it's a good example of a sustainable fishery.

Gotta ask.
What's a lobster roll?
Obviously we get lobster here in the UK but I've only ever had it as "lobster" at a restaurant.just the crustacean.

Also, I've just realised 'Lobster' sounds like a nickname of a bloke who's surname starts with Lob.

You cook the lobster, shell it and collect all the meat and juice, add a pinch of seasoning, a little mayo, a little finely diced shallot or celery, and a bit of lemon juice. That's usually it. Take that salad and put it into a buttery, soft bread roll. There is a traditional style of bread used for it.

There are of course other variation in this recipe, but this is pretty much the base of it. It really should be with the absolute freshest lobster, just caught and cooked, and with good, light bread.

It's an upper east coast staple that has moved around the country quite a bit.

The salads being there is bit hilarious like it offsets the cholesterol a little bit ha.

In my football playing days I seriously would have put a major dent on that spread.

Imagine being a teenager and you get to eat an unlimited supply of all the fast food offered just after the season ends. Fuuuuuuuck.

When I was in HS there was a girl in school whose dad owned like 6 subways, so we'd always have unlimited Subway after the games. It was the shit. We'd always have a pregame pasta & salad "dinner" at about 330-4. Game was at 7, then when we got back to the school after the game to change we could eat as many subs and cookies as we wanted and take some to go. Good times man.

Last edited:
You cook the lobster, shell it and collect all the meat and juice, add a pinch of seasoning, a little mayo, a little finely diced shallot or celery, and a bit of lemon juice. That's usually it. Take that salad and put it into a buttery, soft bread roll. There is a traditional style of bread used for it.

There are of course other variation in this recipe, but this is pretty much the base of it. It really should be with the absolute freshest lobster, just caught and cooked, and with good, light bread.

It's an upper east coast staple that has moved around the country quite a bit.

Sounds banging

Yeah, but it's kind of a mystery why it was ever cheap shit. It's not like it was just something laying around or the throwaway parts of another animal, any seafood takes some effort to pull it out of the ocean and bring it in.
Just a matter of a shifting baseline of what 'normal' ecology looks like prior to heavy fishing pressure. Early in the European history of North America, lobsters could be pulled out of tide pools without getting wet. Cod were thick right up to the shore, when John Cabot showed up they were lifting fish out of the water with a weighted basket. In the caribbean, sailors said they could navigate at night to natural harbours by a clunking noise, green sea turtles were so abundant that their shells were banging into each other constantly. Oyster around New York were a literal foot long and thick, one European observer said eating an American oyster was like eating a baby.

Back