Delts

I was doing the overhead presses because I am training for wrestling and the overheads will inadvertantly train your core muscles as well

rickdog said:
I was doing the overhead presses because I am training for wrestling and the overheads will inadvertantly train your core muscles as well
Ah shoot, I didn't know you were training for wrestling...sweet.:)

I've always liked military presses followed immediately by upright rows.

wasptrash said:
I think your expectations may be a bit high.

I think the name was already taken

jk i spell on a 3rd grade level and im darn prob of it. But I really wish i wouldnt have spelled it wrong on my tattoo

Yeah but the pink coloring draws the attention away from the misspelling.

I tend to lean back a bit when military pressing, putting pressure on my lower back. So now I just try to keep my abs real tight and keep my body straight as possible.

When do you stop lowering the barbell on military press? I stop at just below nose level, and then press back up.

Zeirhk said:
When do you stop lowering the barbell on military press? I stop at just below nose level, and then press back up.

I go down a little further almost to shoulder level.

I let it actually touch my clavicals/upper chest at the bottom, like I would a benchpress, I don't start the next rep until the bar has touched my body.

Zeirhk said:
I tend to lean back a bit when military pressing, putting pressure on my lower back. So now I just try to keep my abs real tight and keep my body straight as possible.

Careful bro. I collapsed two discs doing the very same thing.

Yeah, I've tweaked my lower back twice trying to be old school "olympic" style presses (with the slight backbend).

That being said, some degree of backward lean on a standing OHP is normal, however, the moment the bar clears the top of your head, shove your head under the bar and drive it up OVERHEAD not out in front of face.

CarnalSalvation said:
Yeah, I've tweaked my lower back twice trying to be old school "olympic" style presses (with the slight backbend).

That being said, some degree of backward lean on a standing OHP is normal, however, the moment the bar clears the top of your head, shove your head under the bar and drive it up OVERHEAD not out in front of face.

it took me a long time to learn this. actually, when i lock out an OHP, my head is pretty damn far forward, so that if the bar was brought down in a straight line, it'd hit me in the neck.

since i dont feel like making a thread, and this seems like a good place: my goal of OHP my BW is going well: 155x2 @ 170. ive found that doing higher reps (8-10) and really concentrating on form and power, rather than grinding out 2 or 3 not-as-good-of-form reps has helped immensely. also, experiment with bar grip. the right grip can make a HEEEOOOOGE difference.

rEmY said:
ive found that doing higher reps (8-10) and really concentrating on form and power, rather than grinding out 2 or 3 not-as-good-of-form reps has helped immensely.

Hmmm I do 5x5 for military presses. Lol I just busted my ego, my poundages are going to decrease since I wasn't doing full range of motion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back