Deload for texas method?

Rager Ivan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was told to take 4 weeks to getup to prs on madcow 5x5, but have heard nothing of the sort for this routine.. I screwed my progress on madcow by only going back 2 weeks so I want to be careful.

Also Im aiming for 3 minute rests for monday and wendnesday and 5 mins for friday. maybe I should do 5 mins for Monday.
this is my template:

Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
Squat 5X5
Bench Press 5X5
Bentover BB Row 3x8

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]
Front Squat 3X3
Press 3X3
Back Extension/GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Friday [Low Volume/High Intensity]
Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1X5
or 5X3
or 5X2
or 5X1
Deadlift 1X5

For the front squat and press should I think I should still do near max effort becasue even though it's a light day, front squats are a lot less taxing than normal ones and because thats the only chance to do the press in the routine.

thanks.

I was told to take 4 weeks to getup to prs on madcow 5x5, but have heard nothing of the sort for this routine.. I screwed my progress on madcow by only going back 2 weeks so I want to be careful.

Also Im aiming for 3 minute rests for monday and wendnesday and 5 mins for friday. maybe I should do 5 mins for Monday.
this is my template:

Squat 5X5
Bench Press 5X5
Bentover BB Row 3x8

Front Squat 3X3
Press 3X3
Back Extension/GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1X5
or 5X3
or 5X2
or 5X1
Deadlift 1X5

For the front squat and press should I think I should still do near max effort becasue even though it's a light day, front squats are a lot less taxing than normal ones and because thats the only chance to do the press in the routine.

thanks.

I thought the same thing but was told by Glenn Pendlay that Wed is supposed to be a recovery day and has to stay that way. He posts in this forum, and is the best man to ask any questions about this routine.

I would think that if you wanted to do more pressing, just use another template of the Texas Method. From the SS wiki;

Squat 5X5
Standing Press 5X5
Bench Press Assistance
Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Front Squat 3X3
Back Extensions or GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1x5
Press Assistance
Deadlift 1X5

Basically, this is almost entirely the same as what you have now, except the Press and bench accessory is introduced on Monday, and the only benching you do would be the Friday. I don't follow the above routine, so I can't comment on its effectiveness. However, when I eventually do follow the Texas Method, it'll probably be the above template.

Edit: I'm guessing you're already familiar with the routine, but more information can be found here The Texas Method - Starting Strength Wiki

Thankyou, you've both helped save me from messing the routine up.
If the millitary press and deadlift on madcows lighter day were supposed to be light as well, no wonder my progress was far from satisfactory. I was using maximum effort on them.. and an especially inhuman effort on the deadlift as it is my favourite lift and am crazy on hitting 180k. God how I wish there was a powerlifting gym near me.

Thankyou, you've both helped save me from messing the routine up.
If the millitary press and deadlift on madcows lighter day were supposed to be light as well, no wonder my progress was far from satisfactory. I was using maximum effort on them.. and an especially inhuman effort on the deadlift as it is my favourite lift and am crazy on hitting 180k. God how I wish there was a powerlifting gym near me.

Ya'll have to understand the following... here is the basis of the Texas Method. Follow these very simple guidlines and its hard to screw it up.

Monday is your higher volume day. 5 sets of 5 works well, but its not mandatory.

Wednesday is your lower stress day. Notice I DIDNT say light day. You have two choices, use the same exercise as monday and do less weight and less volume, or use a different exercise that is easier to recover from, go heavy but use less volume. Examples of the second option are to use military press instead of bench press, power cleans instead of deadlifts, or front squats instead of squats.

Friday is your max day, you go for repetition maxes on 3 exercises. Start with trying for new 5RM's, but eventually you will have to switch it up.

If you follow those rules, and use common sense, its hard to screw it up. In various places and at various times I have written out pretty good starting points, I think one or two of them are in this thread. But those programs done define the "Texas Method". They are just effective starting points.

Thankyou for posting Mr Pendlay. I will be able to train with more focus now, knowing that the routines' creator made those templates.

I will try to switch the standing press around with the bench (along with the accessories) on monday and friday, I prefer to max out on the press and enjoyed 5x5 for the bench

Squat 5X5
Bench Press 5X5
Bench Press Assistance
Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Front Squat 3X3
Back Extensions or GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12
(lighter ab work) x2

Squat 1X5
Standing Press 1x5
Press Assistance
Deadlift 1X5
(my 50kg crunches that I dont want to abandon) x3

Back