Deliberately smelly opponents

judogido

Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...
Reaction score
Just an idle question really. In Judo, there is a rule that in a competition you cannot be really smelly.

This was to combat those who would eat garlic, onions, not wash their suit & generally just stink to put off their opponents. I've never encountered this in competitions myself (although occasionally some anonymous wanker drops one in training).

Anyone ever encounter a really rank opponent in a competition. Do the same rules apply in BJJ? Ever tried having really bad breath to try and sub your opponent just by breathing?

I have run into some foul smelling opponents in my gym, but never in competition. There is an official rule that uniforms must be clean when competiting, not to mention that it is dojo ettiquete to wash it regularly.

Anybody that has ever received a mouthful of dank gi knows that it is possibly the worst thing about Gi sparring, even more so than injuries.

And by the way, if you have to rely upon cheap tricks like onions and moldy sweat, then you should really focus on getting better at Judo.

tequilaman said:
And by the way, if you have to rely upon cheap tricks like onions and moldy sweat, then you should really focus on getting better at Judo.
Yeah, that's what I think. However people do some strange things - even at the top levels of international competition to have an advantage. I mean, why else would a$$holes do steroids to get an edge - hardly fair but that's life.

judogido said:
Yeah, that's what I think. However people do some strange things - even at the top levels of international competition to have an advantage. I mean, why else would a$$holes do steroids to get an edge - hardly fair but that's life.

Yep. Cheaters in my opinion. Russians do whatever they can to get an edge, including illegal hidden moves like bending fingers back while hidden from the ref.

The other one they do is barely shave, then let the stubble rub the opponents face and eyes. They often small pretty bad too, but I think that that is my experience with a particualr individual.

just what i want , some smelly ass sweat on me,

i have seen lots of guys grow stuble on thier faces to mess with you some.

Never in competition, but I don't compete that much.
Smelly gi's pop up every now and then in class.
However, there's a guy at my club who doesn't wash his knee pads and insists on wearing shorts so he looks more sambo-ish. His knee pads are butt cheese stinky. His legs look like this but with hair (more like fur) on them:
56.jpg

Every now and then he wraps those sweaty gross legs around your head for a triangle and the knee pads get right up under your nose and it's tap out time.

What the hell is that? No way that is actually somebody's leg.

I don't grapple anymore because I'm going Pro in Boxing. But let me tell you this shit goes on in EVERY Sport.

I've trained with guys who have stupid superstitions about being dirty. Like they don't wash the clothes they spar in because they think it's bad luck. There's guys in Boxing gyms who don't understand the simple ettiquette of putting powder in your gloves and shoes, and washing your headgear and hand-wraps and stuff appropriately. So then even being in the same ring with them, or god-forbid the clinch, becomes a living NIGHTMARE. Some guys also do the stubble thing. Two-day growth can actually cut you it you don't watch it.

Mestizo said:

I don't know what it is, but my stinky grappling buddy's leg looks exactly like that but with black ape hair covering it.

This mexican dudes handwraps at my gym are fucking sick. It smells like ass and feet and candy, nasty.

Fzubek said:
This mexican dudes handwraps at my gym are fucking sick. It smells like ass and feet and candy, nasty.

LOL, ur not the dude who posted the thread about you and you buddies hanging out at the club before UFC are you? THAT THREAD IS FUCKIN FUNNY!!! HAHAHA

Mestizo said:
Looks like something hanging from a hook in a butchers shop.

King Kabuki said:
I don't grapple anymore because I'm going Pro in Boxing. But let me tell you this shit goes on in EVERY Sport.

I've trained with guys who have stupid superstitions about being dirty. Like they don't wash the clothes they spar in because they think it's bad luck. There's guys in Boxing gyms who don't understand the simple ettiquette of putting powder in your gloves and shoes, and washing your headgear and hand-wraps and stuff appropriately. So then even being in the same ring with them, or god-forbid the clinch, becomes a living NIGHTMARE. Some guys also do the stubble thing. Two-day growth can actually cut you it you don't watch it.
Being a boxing n00b I didnt think about washing my wraps for a couple of months. Then when I opened by training bag after it being closed for a week I almost fainted & asked my wife to stick them in the wash. She refused after coming within 2 metres of them. So now I'll wash them more regularly.
What's the powder in the boxing gloves though?

King Kabuki said:
There's guys in Boxing gyms who don't understand the simple ettiquette of putting powder in your gloves and shoes..

powder? like arm&hammer? i dont use gloves much (4oz open gloves air out fairly well though) and i never used powder when i wrestled in shoes but sometimes i did wash them.

knee pads are notorious for funk. i always aired them out and destroyed a few pairs by washing them in the machine bu none of my friends or family could bare them in the car if not in the trunk.

some guys would joke about not wearing deodorant on match day back when i was in school but i think it was never taken seriously.

Fight_Song said:
some guys would joke about not wearing deodorant on match day back when i was in school but i think it was never taken seriously.

Yeah, I think the most serious I've ever heard it discussed or planned is guys saying that they weren't going to shower or brush their teeth or that kind of thing before a tournament. In other words, something that the judge can't smell, but the opponent might find distracting when close...

wrestlers always stank in my opinion...... at least the good ones did, but thats only because you really cant shower after every match in a tourney

Back