deli tuna?

Ruick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well actually this applies to my school's cafeteria, but i guess ill just call it a deli for general purposes. The place has tuna that they put on sandwiches, out infront of them. so its not canned tuna or anything, its prepared. how much mayo,etc. do they think they put it into? is it still good to eat and i shouldnt worry? or is the stuff packed with mayo?

It will usually have mayo but how much is a good question. Probably once, or twice, a week should be fine especially if your overall diet is healthy.

Wolverine
///

ehhh, it's TUNA, but its chunk light tuna.... blech. solid Albacore's probably the best widely available tuna to get.

Loaded with mayo, because food establishments give you huge portions so that they can charge you an arm and a leg. Why not go with the classic: can of tuna and a water bottle.

Rex Kwon Do said:
Loaded with mayo, because food establishments give you huge portions so that they can charge you an arm and a leg. Why not go with the classic: can of tuna and a water bottle.

yea, that classic gets old fast rkd. guess thats why its called a classic

well currently im eating a ham sandwich w/ whole wheat, slice of yellow cheese, shredded lettuce & tomato for lunch. i asked alot of people and they said i needed more protein, this is also my last meal before lifting (well now im starting to eat a protein bar before lifting) so i opted for a tuna sandwich. thing is, i cant really make and bring one to school, i can try but its just overall a problem. the school cafe has tuna sandwiches, but with the mayo.. should i still eat it or no?

paulchu said:
ehhh, it's TUNA, but its chunk light tuna.... blech. solid Albacore's probably the best widely available tuna to get.
I beg to differ. Chunk light tuna can be purchased at half the price and carries more protein than albacore, without as much mercury. Therefore, Chunk Light Tuna is the best widely available tuna to get.

I loved the tuna sandwiches at subway...until I found out how much fat was in it...it was like 30g of fat for a 6inch and I was eating FOOTLONGS!!! ARGH!!! I'd steer clear of any tuna not made by YOU that way you can control what's in it!

I put a little flax or olive oil and just a teaspoon of mayo (for flavor) per can, and it is almost as good as the "loaded with mayo" version you get at subway. You could bring the can with you for lunch and put the mayo or whatever you want to add to it in another container, and just mix it in the cafeteria, if you want to avoid soggy bread :) Or you just can't bring lunch for some reason?

If that is too much, then just stick to the turkey sandwiches. (like at subway, lots of veggies, and a light dressing or mustard if you want to avoid tons of fat there! You can eat at fast-food places if you order right. Just look up the nutritional data on the websites like you did for the tuna. Cafeterias are less certain because the data isn't easily available.

For example, Subway 6" tuna is 530 calories, and that is without cheese. More than 1/2 of the calories are from fat (the MAYO).
http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=sandwich

Hmm not to hijack this thread but is whole wheat bread with chicken cutlet, lettuce, vinegar, and queso blanco good?

Soid said:
Hmm not to hijack this thread but is whole wheat bread with chicken cutlet, lettuce, vinegar, and queso blanco good?

Sounds excellent and healthy to me, although I never had queso blanco, is that similar to cottage cheese?

They usually use A LOT of mayo, and a lot of places put in celery salt instead of celery, so one sandwich can end up having 900mg of sodium. Not good!

paulchu said:

Actually, studies have shown that albacore tuna has 3x the mercury of chunk light!

Grady said:
Sounds excellent and healthy to me, although I never had queso blanco, is that similar to cottage cheese?
Queso blanco is white tropical cheese.

Back