Media Deiveson Figueiredo takes Usman's patient style as an example, and promises high guard

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
- I'm a guy who trains my avoidance a lot, but I confess to you that I'm working with the guard higher up. I'm wearing a Rampage Jackson style, which dodged very tightly, blocking with my elbows. But I didn't stop training my dodge, I'm a guy who likes to dodge a lot. I always let my guard down in the heat of the fight, but I want to be a little more cautious. I took a lot of jabs in the first fight, and I don't want to let that happen again. We have studied him a lot, he is a guy who is easy to get to, and we are training to kill this guy. I want to put him down and work on my jiu-jitsu very well.

- I want to have that longer career time. I've been watching the champions a lot. A guy I watch a lot is Kamaru Usman, who is patient, who plays there at one / two, and is working, he is taking the guys with a very heavy hand. I want this for myself. I want to be a little more calm, I don't want to give the signal too much to want to kill in the first round. It means having the patience to arrive and knock out (...). If I just keep this low guard, the guys will study my game and eventually they'll end up catching me. I want to adopt this guard game a little more on top, dodging more, defending more with my hands.

Source
---------------------
PS:

On Cody Garbrandt's defeat:

He threatened me a lot, said he would give me many jabs in my face, and he ended up taking the jabs with him. I just watch and laugh.

On Who's next(assuming he beats Moreno)

I am a guy very focused on Brandon Moreno, but, passing by him, I am 90% sure that (Askar) Askarov is the first in line. I'm sure that we will face each other. I'm already training for him, because if I pass Brandon Moreno, he's a guy who will fight me. He is really a guy who makes the game boring, won Benavidez by putting him down. But he who does not think he will put me down easy and will dominate the fight, wrap the fight, as is his style. I will get up and, if possible, tear it with my elbow. I will be ready to do that.

On Henry Cejudo

When he comes back, I will be available to fight him. If he wants to wait for my [135lbs] as well, it will be very interesting, because we can do that first fight there. Immediately, he can know that I am waiting in my category (...). I don't think so either (back to flyweight). He's old, he won't be able to hit [125lbs]. Age no longer leaves. And I see him on the beach in swim trunks and he looks like Peppa Pig, chubby (laughs).

Entertaining Bantamweight:

I depend a lot on my brother (Francisco). By the time my brother gets close to the belt dispute, I already told him that I will move up the category. My dream is to see this guy with the [125lbs] belt. And I'll try my luck at [135lbs]. I see myself there struggling with these guys.

Charles Do Bronx becoming champion:

He did (a weight yes). It was heavy. Just me defending the country's flag, me and Amanda (Nunes). I, as a man, was there on the front line. Now Charlinho has arrived to help. I am sure that this guy is a talent, I already told him personally: "I have always admired you, he is a talent, a guy that when I saw him start in MMA fighting hard, looking like a little guy, skinny, and finishing overall". I said to him: "you're going to get this belt". In the last fight I was with him, in the USA, and I talked to him about all that.

Last edited:
Im glad he recognizes the danger about his style. It sure is exciting and it works well in the flyweight division, but his days at 125 are numbered. That cut is too brutal for him. I think he moves up within 3 fights so at 135 he def needs to fight smarter because that division got some hitters!

Looking at other current champs and trying to learn from them shows a great mindset in Figueredo. He will be champion for a long time if he keeps this learning/student mindset and his body doesnt break on him.

Im glad he recognizes the danger about his style. It sure is exciting and it works well in the flyweight division, but his days at 125 are numbered. That cut is too brutal for him. I think he moves up within 3 fights so at 135 he def needs to fight smarter because that division got some hitters!
He wants his brother to be flyweight champion

- I depend a lot on my brother (Francisco). By the time my brother gets close to the belt dispute, I already told him that I will move up the category. My dream is to see this guy with the 57kg belt. And I'll try my luck at 61kg. I see myself there struggling with these guys.

Hopefully no eye pokes or blatant nut shots this time Fig. Dirty ass fighter.

- I depend a lot on my brother (Francisco). By the time my brother gets close to the belt dispute, I already told him that I will move up the category. My dream is to see this guy with the 57kg belt. And I'll try my luck at 61kg. I see myself there struggling with these guys.
Hmm interesting last words there. Very honest.

Having brothers as champs in two divisions would be pretty metal. But 135 is much deeper than 125… Figgy will have his work cut out for him

Having brothers as champs in two divisions would be pretty metal. But 135 is much deeper than 125… Figgy will have his work cut out for him
doesn't sound like he wants to move up. Only willing to do it if his bro becomes a legit contender. He said he seems himself struggling. So at least he's honest lol.

doesn't sound like he wants to move up. Only willing to do it if his bro becomes a legit contender. He said he seems himself struggling. So at least he's honest lol.
Even the old guys (Aldo, Cruz) are weirdly good. So many young contenders, seasoned vets, etc. 135 is becoming another 155 in terms of depth

Even the old guys (Aldo, Cruz) are weirdly good. So many young contenders, seasoned vets, etc. 135 is becoming another 155 in terms of depth
Yeah, there's always a debate which is more stacked. 135 or 155. I don't know where he holds up. If I had to guess, bottom top 10.

I guess I'm in the minority but I think Figgy's game translates very well up a weight class. I'm assuming he'll have a cardio uptick as well. Would love to see it. 135 is a shark tank.

I guess I'm in the minority but I think Figgy's game translates very well up a weight class. I'm assuming he'll have a cardio uptick as well. Would love to see it. 135 is a shark tank.
I think he's too small. Its going to show kidna how DJ vs cruz showed DJ was too small.

Hmm interesting last words there. Very honest.
I'm pretty sure that is just the way the translator worded it, he most likely just meant compete or something like that..

Back