1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News Deiveson Figueiredo says he knew it wasn't his day: "I didn't have a healthy weight cut"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Peli Silver Belt

- It really was the weight cut. I didn't have a healthy weight cut, it was really hard to beat the weight, but I did it. But, even so, I didn't have the adequate income that I was supposed to have today inside the octagon. But I'm going back home and training. I lost the first time, then I won five fights in a row. You can be sure, I will train, I will win and I will take this happiness back to Brazil. You write what I'm talking about.

The man from Pará said he had a very bad feeling when he left the hotel for the arena, and made public his desire for a trilogy with the now champion Moreno because, in his opinion, he won the first fight (which was judged to be a draw by the judges after he loses a point during the fight).

- I left the hotel feeling very bad. I knew it wasn't my day, but I gave it into God's hands, and going to the octagon I said, "Lord, your will be done." I got in there, I didn't really fight like I am and I really want to immediately ask for a rematch with Dana, and I hope to be attended, because I won the first fight and even so they took a point from me and they decided to draw to give the second fight. And now I want the trilogy. He got my belt, the first one I won and we're going to fight this third fight now to take the fight off.

Figueiredo, however, did not fail to congratulate the Mexican on the victory.

- He's to be congratulated, it was his night. He certainly trained very well for this fight and today was not my day. But I want the trilogy, I want this fight to happen. Now I just want to go back home and train again just right, to really show who I am, the real owner of the belt. I only want four months, that's when I'm going to stabilize. My gym is changing, all this is a process that kind of messed up my training, but now I want to go back, get everything right and be able to win the belt again.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&tl=en&sl=auto&u=https://ge.globo.com/combate/noticia/ufc-263-deiveson-figueiredo-diz-que-sabia-nao-ser-seu-dia-nao-tive-um-corte-de-peso-saudavel.ghtml

He explains his weightcutting to MMAfighting and open to moving to Bantamweight:
    Figueiredo was seen crying after the weigh-ins in one of the episodes of UFC 263 Embedded, and admits he thought he wouldn’t be able to hit the 125-pound mark.

“I even fought my coaches, I said I couldn’t do it,” he continued. “I was bad. Not physically bad, but my head was shaken already. I starved for two days, not drinking water well for days. The fight happened thanks to [my coaches] and a doctor friend of ours that was here for the event.”

Moreno became the first Mexican-born to ever win a UFC championship, and Figueiredo wants a trilogy bout in October after a majority draw and a defeat in a span of six months. That said, there’s a chance “Deus da Guerra” never competes at 125 pounds again.

“I think about moving up [to bantamweight] but, in order to make that decision, I have to go back home and sit down with my team and talk about it and make the best decision. I have to to back home and talk to my team. [But] let’s see if this trilogy happens, right, man? I asked for the rematch with him.

“I’ll talk to guy team and see what I can do to improve my diet, maybe even bring in my nutritionist with me [to the fights]. I have to go back home to really know what I want to do, man. But, right now, I asked for the trilogy. I clearly won the first one, but they took a point away and made it a draw. That’s what happens when you leave it in the hands of the judges. Their decisions isn’t always pleasant.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/6/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. DRstrange don't do weed

He showed some class....props to him.

3. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Red Belt Platinum Member

It's a tough position for him because I don't think he's gonna be as competitive at 135, might've seen his best days unfortunately

His best bet is probably to be a BW, don't see him ever being champ there though

4. Bowel-forged Stool Manlet belt Platinum Member

He looked terrible. I believe him. Might be time to move up and chin check CoGar

chs140, BlackPanther, The XL and 14 others like this.
  5. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Sometimes things are obvious and I think his claim is. I'm not here to take away from Moreno who fought perfectly, but Figgy looked slow and like a zombie in there. Yes, Moreno exacerbated his issues with how he fought, the speed and the pressure but you could tell Figgy was off.

He should either move up or diet better. As for a rematch, he needs to win another fight or two before that happens. I do think he won the first fight, but it doesn't matter after the last one.

A.S. Deep, The XL and Pious Augustus like this.
  6. TryggeTryggvar Purple Belt

After that performance I would like to see figgy fight a top 5 before he gets another title shot.

Not that i wouldnt mind a trilogy, but not right away.

svmr_db likes this.
  7. GueseGuy Black Belt

He didn’t look right in there. Something was off. Regardless, he showed class in defeat like a true champion should. I wish him the best and hope he bounces back and gets another crack at it.

8. Satan's Daddy. Brown Belt Platinum Member

I dont ever wanna see him in this weight class ever again, after this many fights and he still can't get his dieting right.. it's a liability for the UFC to allow it to happen because of his numerous issues with weight cutting, and still not solving it by now... the nail hit the coffin, it's done. 0-1-1 He's not worthy of it either.

9. TheSpider Black Belt

Healthy weight cut Fig is born

10. thehighking Red Belt

I think it was pretty clear he was badly affected by the weight cut, so badly that it looked like he must have fell and hit his head in the sauna because he came into the fight with a lump on his forehead. I would like to see a third fight but if the weight cut is becoming such a regular problem for him then he's obviously fighting in the wrong weight class.

11. scytheavatar Blue Belt

He walks about in 160 so him having to move up to 135 was always something that is inevitable.

12. SherdogWasNeverMyFriend Orange Belt

I like Figgy but there is another fighter waiting for his chance named Askarov.
    Figueiredo should fight Pantoja next time. Also, unless he will change his weight cut methods he will never be consistent. He is not getting younger so it doesn't help either. If he wants he can try once more at FLW to see if some tweaks can make his cutting healthier and if not then he needs to go to the upper weight class.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  13. Axe720 Black Belt

He looked horrible weighing in. Either needs a better nutritionist or needs to shed a little muscle mass.

The Demon Sword likes this.
  14. The Demon Sword Orange Belt

I agree, he looked like shit all fight week and on fight night. The cut definitely effected his performance, he barely made weight with like 3 minutes to go

Axe720 likes this.
  15. INoHespectChael Red Belt

From the first fight to this... He would have won that first fight too if it wasn't for the point deduction from a low blow.

UFCIsNOTRigged likes this.
  16. Luckyme Purple Belt

It's obvious there was something off about Figuerido. Even though Moreno fought beautifully, Figgy put up almost zero resistance.

The dude supposedly walks around at 165 and trains at 150ish. That's a ton of weight to cut and for the sake of his long term health, he should just move up to 135 or lose some body mass.

17. Herwald Red Belt

<mma4>

18. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

Normally fighters making excuses after a fight is bullshit, but this dude showed up crying to weigh ins with 30 seconds left to spare

props for the precessionalism and making weight, but it was painfully obvious he wasn’t ok

19. Raymundo Alvarado Guevara Purple Belt

He needs to move to BW, He strogues every time he wants to make 125

20. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

He looked completely flat in there. I completely believe him.

He's a couple of wins away from a rematch. He was very humble in defeat, and hopefully he comes back.

Small Town Andrew likes this.