Deiveson Figueiredo, Management Seek Immediate Trilogy with Brandon Moreno

I would vote no on a immediate trilogy unless there are no legit contenders. I don't know the rankings at FLY, but if there are some really worthy contenders, you can't hold up the whole division and deny them their chance. Fig-Moreno 1 was a draw, so a rematch made sense. If one of them would have squeaked out a decision in 1st fight, we might not have even had #2.

Frankie Edgar got a trilogy fight being 0-1-1 against Maynard so why not! <Moves>

Gotta take issue with this example (unless you’re making a joke and I missed it). Gray wanted that third fight, obviously, as Frankie had the belt. Gray won the first when both were green, and it was largely irrelevant except to provide some backstory. Title fight draws get run back,

Feel a little bad for Maynard honestly. He was a championship level fighter. Beat Frankie clean, had him doomed again and gassed but got a draw, then did the exact same thing again and managed to get knocked out by a guy who doesn’t do that. Never found his footing again. Kinda the poor man’s Fitch or Mendes.

Are Wonderboy and Maynard the only two guys to compete in a title fight, not lose, but never hold a belt?

Moreno obviously ended up getting the belt, and I would also probably exclude draw due to point deduction from the question anyway.

Askarov agent needs to stop this from happening, he deserves the TS.

Fuck immediate rematches.
Askarov is already booked and has had difficulty making the FLW limit too. Part of what is getting Figgy too...It should be much harder to justify giving a title shot to someone who can't regularly make weight. The rematch with Joey B was as much for Benavidez as it was for Figueiredo.

I hope not I'm beyond tired of these kind of matches ffs let Moreno defend against someone else. Let fig work his way back to a title shot
I agree. Fuck these immediate rematches especially where one guy got finished and it wasn't even close. Same with Conor and Dustin. Conor doesn't deserve a rematch with Dustin. It is good to see Stipe not get an immediate rematch though.

Gotta take issue with this example (unless you’re making a joke and I missed it).

Well kind of. BS happens and people complain, but then use that BS to support more BS happening. I really just wanted to remind people of a neat factoid...

Are Wonderboy and Maynard the only two guys to compete in a title fight, not lose, but never hold a belt?
Amazing question. Just zooming through wiki it would seem the only other one could Oleg Taktarov. Technically he won a tournament but he drew against Shamrock for the UFC Superfight Title.

Also well said on the other stuff about Maynard.

It is about winning or losing, hard to argue a "trilogy" when the other fighter is just up a fight. And its hard to argue for a rematch because the fight was so one sided.
Watch the trilogy happen next.

I definitely agree with this. Figgy has got to go up and test the waters but if he uses the UFC PI and does it smart he could be a serious force at BW. Same thing with FLW. He can't afford to destroy his body anymore whichever way he goes. He's got to be smarter. He is 33 so he still has a bit of time to figure it out. If he stays winning and same with Moreno absolutely down the road again they should fight.

Spot on. These managers need to start mapping out the entire career and exploring the different contingencies (what if he wins, what if he loses, what if so-and-do drops the belt, etc.)

Instead, the manager and fighter are always looking two inches in front of their faces.

Whittaker is my go-to example. He’s won three big fights in a row, and they all “mattered” and got attention, because by delaying the rematch those fights became part of a relevant story arc: RW’s journey back to the top. Meanwhile, the white hot Izzy has cooled off a bit, Rob has built some new skills and healed his ego, and Rob’s coaches have probably studied 500 minutes of Izzy footage.

And, if you’re the manager and just care about money, he’s fought closer to a new contract while remaining the second biggest middleweight attraction.

What leverage does he have if he rushes back to Izzy and loses again right after Till or Cannon? He’s Weidman and Rockhold at that point. You don’t *have* to be champ to be compelling. But you do need to be relevant to the title picture, unless you have some unexplainable angle like the Diaz Bros.

By contrast, look at Marvin now. Being Izzy’s toughest fight (sorta) wasn’t a bad little nugget to have in your pocket. Kid was clearly growing and getting better. But they rushed it, and now what? Yes, I’ll enjoy every minute of the battle of the meatheads against Costa if it happens, but Marvin is irrelevant as long as Izzy is champ.

I’m trying to remember a time when rushing to the title rematch didn’t end the fighter’s time as a contender and major attraction.

Anderson was done (leg break bad luck in fairness). Aldo became FW gatekeeper and then left. Cody went off the rails completely. BJ started wandering divisions again and getting beat up (styling on someone like Mark Bocek and then rematching Frankie wouldn’t have been better?).

Fortunately for Max he did well enough and then looked good enough against Calvin to remain in the mix. Conor was VERY fortunate that he snuck by Nate, what a disaster that could’ve been. GSP vs Serra is very different IMO because Serra was a reality show winner.

Spot on. These managers need to start mapping out the entire career and exploring the different contingencies (what if he wins, what if he loses, what if so-and-do drops the belt, etc.)

Instead, the manager and fighter are always looking two inches in front of their faces.

Whittaker is my go-to example. He’s won three big fights in a row, and they all “mattered” and got attention, because by delaying the rematch those fights became part of a relevant story arc: RW’s journey back to the top. Meanwhile, the white hot Izzy has cooled off a bit, Rob has built some new skills and healed his ego, and Rob’s coaches have probably studied 500 minutes of Izzy footage.

And, if you’re the manager and just care about money, he’s fought closer to a new contract while remaining the second biggest middleweight attraction.

What leverage does he have if he rushes back to Izzy and loses again right after Till or Cannon? He’s Weidman and Rockhold at that point. You don’t *have* to be champ to be compelling. But you do need to be relevant to the title picture, unless you have some unexplainable angle like the Diaz Bros.

By contrast, look at Marvin now. Being Izzy’s toughest fight (sorta) wasn’t a bad little nugget to have in your pocket. Kid was clearly growing and getting better. But they rushed it, and now what? Yes, I’ll enjoy every minute of the battle of the meatheads against Costa if it happens, but Marvin is irrelevant as long as Izzy is champ.

I’m trying to remember a time when rushing to the title rematch didn’t end the fighter’s time as a contender and major attraction.

Anderson was done (leg break bad luck in fairness). Aldo became FW gatekeeper and then left. Cody went off the rails completely. BJ started wandering divisions again and getting beat up (styling on someone like Mark Bocek and then rematching Frankie wouldn’t have been better?).

Fortunately for Max he did well enough and then looked good enough against Calvin to remain in the mix. Conor was VERY fortunate that he snuck by Nate, what a disaster that could’ve been. GSP vs Serra is very different IMO because Serra was a reality show winner.
I don't think they rushed Vettori back. 3 years and 5 fights? Ok. However beating Kevin Holland should not be a ticket to Title Town. 6 in one half a dozen in another maybe.

Handy is the only one I can think of that rushing back and losing to Chuck (twice) didn't stop him being a huge attraction, that and he went back to to HW and got the belt again.

Figu isn't young, so if he wants to stay at 125 the weight cut for the next is important. If he performs well next time then the trilogy gets better.

No, we need fresh matchups. Immediate rematches should not be the norm. He lost fair and square and was finished.

Up to Moreno. If he wants then I would be ok. First fight great, second Figgy was caught by a possessed Moreno. Moreno was much more focused. Fig does not deserve but if no other contenders it would be of interest to see if Moreno comes with same fire and if Figgy can extinguish. If Moreno wants to take a break then Figgy should get a win in before rematch.

UFC will want the trilogy.

-It's a division fans don't typically care much about
-If they can do it in Mexico it'll be enormous
-Any other contender is underwhelming

Fighters behave so entitled these days, everytime someone loses they want an immediate rematch, go back and earn it.

No i don't want to see an immediate rematch.
First match was a draw and in the second he got choked.
I would like to see him destroy a Top contender first, than he can challenge again.

Last edited:
Back