Deiveson Figueiredo, Management Seek Immediate Trilogy with Brandon Moreno

As a fan of Moreno, I love that idea. This is an opponent he's dominated and is obviously comfortable fighting. It would be a great first title defense, giving Moreno more time to settle into his position as champion (as far as training, logistics, and all that stuff goes). Easy (relatively) payday, gets solidified as a legit champion, and gets a chance to to figure out his training situation before starting a camp against a fresh opponent.

For those confused about the logistics thing, Moreno has been training at Entram Gym in Tijuana for awhile. For this camp he trained in Vegas and found many benefits to having PI access. I'm sure he's going to want to keep doing so, and in that case he will need to figure out the logistics of his training. Having all of that ironed out before having to fight a fresh face is a huge factor. A lot less things to think about.

Ain't bout winning and losing. All about marketability. Figgy is one marketable mofo. This is the UFC model. I understood this strategy when the UFC was on their way up but c'mon now

It is about winning or losing, hard to argue a "trilogy" when the other fighter is just up a fight. And its hard to argue for a rematch because the fight was so one sided.

Deiveson Figueiredo, Management Seek Immediate Trilogy with Brandon Moreno (sherdog.com)

Do you guys want the immediate rematch or not? Do you want it but further down the road? I personally never want to see Figgy at FLW ever again. Anyone wanna hook me up with a poll? Is that possible? Anyway...

I do not want to see this and think it’s a mistake for management.

What happens if he loses? Flyweight is a graveyard if you’re not the champ or rising contender.

He’d need to move up and he’d basically be chased out of the division by Moreno.

What I would personally do is say that they wanted the rubber match some day (Fig basically won the first), but it was Askarov’s turn and in the meantime Fig would explore 135. Say weight cut had not gone well and would need to rethink the strategy before doing 125 again, and in the meantime wanted to fight and entertain.

He’s still got leverage now as an exciting champ who had one bad night. Not backed into a corner, and should be able to negotiate something in the range of a fight night main event against someone like Garbrandt or Marlon at 135. Exciting, kill or be killed fight. See how he does in 2-3 fights at bantam. Chito Vera, Rivera, Munhoz, plenty of fights to explore even if he doesn’t rocket to the belt.

If all goes well he stays, maybe Moreno comes up some day or maybe he returns to 125 with some momentum. But don’t just shove your remaining chips back in immediately without thinking about it against a guy with huge momentum who clearly just figured you out. Same thing I always say in these situations, like Max and Whittaker. Never good to be former champ with two losses to the new champ.

I agree TS Figgy needs to stop playing with flyweights, he could probably angle for the loser of TJ/Sandhagen and with a win he'd be right in the mix for a title fight or Font might take him if the winner of tj/Sandhagen isn't fighting until a title fight.

Askarov agent needs to stop this from happening, he deserves the TS.

Fuck immediate rematches.

If you get completely destroyed, you do not get an immediate rematch.
They should not ask for one either, its 3 fights against the same guy.

I’d say they need to do it one more time. Moreno got immediate rematch didn’t he?

They are 1-0-1, if Fig wins they would be tied...should they fight a 4th time in a row? The immediate rematch was made because it was a fight of the year candidate and because it ended up in a draw, there is nothing else to prove with a 3rd fight in a row.

Ain't bout winning and losing. All about marketability. Figgy is one marketable mofo. This is the UFC model. I understood this strategy when the UFC was on their way up but c'mon now

We are in agreement. Just embrace the “fuck it, I’m the crazy guy from the jungle” angle and challenge Max Holloway on Twitter, then “settle” for a rampage against Cody at bantam. Become mini Tony Ferguson or mini Khamzat. Tell everyone you’ll get the belt back in due course but right now you just want to deliver violence on television against whoever shows up. It’ll be better. Being too serious and needy for the belt just gets boring.

Only if Cejudo is unavailable.

I do not want to see this and think it’s a mistake for management.

What happens if he loses? Flyweight is a graveyard if you’re not the champ or rising contender.

He’d need to move up and he’d basically be chased out of the division by Moreno.

What I would personally do is say that they wanted the rubber match some day (Fig basically won the first), but it was Askarov’s turn and in the meantime Fig would explore 135. Say weight cut had not gone well and would need to rethink the strategy before doing 125 again, and in the meantime wanted to fight and entertain.

He’s still got leverage now as an exciting champ who had one bad night. Not backed into a corner, and should be able to negotiate something in the range of a fight night main event against someone like Garbrandt or Marlon at 135. Exciting, kill or be killed fight. See how he does in 2-3 fights at bantam. Chito Vera, Rivera, Munhoz, plenty of fights to explore even if he doesn’t rocket to the belt.

If all goes well he stays, maybe Moreno comes up some day or maybe he returns to 125 with some momentum. But don’t just shove your remaining chips back in immediately without thinking about it against a guy with huge momentum who clearly just figured you out. Same thing I always say in these situations, like Max and Whittaker. Never good to be former champ with two losses to the new champ.
I definitely agree with this. Figgy has got to go up and test the waters but if he uses the UFC PI and does it smart he could be a serious force at BW. Same thing with FLW. He can't afford to destroy his body anymore whichever way he goes. He's got to be smarter. He is 33 so he still has a bit of time to figure it out. If he stays winning and same with Moreno absolutely down the road again they should fight.

Back