Defense Soap (Body Wash and Soap Bar)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by bnosam, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I already reviewed this in the grappling forum, however I figured I should post the review here as well.

Review of the Defense Soap Soap Bar

I recently received a free sample of Defense Soap from the user Defense Soap on the forums.

For those unfamiliar with the product, it's basically a type of soap that helps prevent skin related infections (it has anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral ingredients) you'd get from grappling or other contact sports.

Website here: DEFENSE SOAP WEBSITE

Anyway here's the review:

I used my 5 senses test (sight, hearing, touch, taste and smell) first:

Sight: It looks just like the ordinary bar of soap you'd find at the grocery store.
    Sound: It's soap, it makes very little to no sound.
    Taste: It tastes kind of soap, but not very strong. It's almost like a light soapy taste with a little bit of a deodourant taste to it.
    Smell: It smells liked soap and tea tree oils (or at least one kind of tea tree oil I've smelled before). It's almost a little flowery smelling, for lack of a better word. It doesn't really smell strong at all. If you were on a date and you showered with it, you'd pass that part of the guy's/girl's test.
    Touch: The bar of soap is a lot stiffer than other bars of soap, it doesn't get overly malleable once it is wet, either. It doesn't get really slippery compared to regular soaps.

My experiences:

After the five senses test I hopped in the shower and tried it out. I found that the soap itself was a little difficult to lather at first but it started to work fine after some effort.
    As someone with sensitive skin (some soaps, shampoos and deodourants irritate me a lot), I can say that this soap did NOT give me any problems, it kept my skin fine and free of irritation.
    I felt a lot cleaner using this soap than some other brands of regular soap I've used.
    The smell of the bar of the soap and the smell it leaves on you I noticed a difference in. It leaves more of a "soap" style smell on your skin like a regular soap would.
    The soap also didn't irritate my eyes when I got a little inside.

Overall:

Pros:
    It helps prevent skin infections from bacteria, fungi and viruses
    It holds up well in the shower
    Easy on sensitive skin
    Leaves you feeling clean with soft skin

Cons:
    It's a little more work to work a lather going (not a real huge issue)
    Taste is not great
    Little bit more expensive than most grocery store soaps (but this soap is better, you get what you pay for)

Review of the Defense Soap Body Wash

I just copied and pasted the format of the old review and changed what needed to be change that didn't apply.

Sight: The soap is a light honey colour
    Sound: A click when you open the top of the bottle
    Taste: A little soapy, not great tasting, tastes a bit worse than the bar of defense soap
    Smell: It has a natural soapy type scent to it. It leaves the skin with a soap smell once you're dried off and out of the shower. I like the scent personally.
    Touch: Feels like the usual body wash gel

My experiences:

After the five senses test I hopped in the shower and tried it out. It was a lot easier to lather than the bar of soap. A small amount went a long way (I didn't use a loofah).
    The soap left my skin feeling smooth and clean. I had no irritation at all from it (I have sensitive skin that reacts to a fair amount of products). It smells a little stronger than the bar of soap does, however I like the scent it leaves because it's a natural soap kind of smell which smells clean

Overall:

Pros:
    It helps prevent skin infections from bacteria, fungi and viruses
    It holds up well in the shower
    Easy on sensitive skin
    Leaves you feeling clean with soft skin
    Easy to lather, a bit goes a long way
    It kept me smelling clean even after I started getting sweaty

Cons:
    Taste is not great
    Little bit more expensive than most grocery store soaps (but this soap is better, you get what you pay for)

Overall, it's a really great product. If you're looking for a soap that will help prevent skin infections, you've found your product. The customer service I've experienced was also high quality, all my questions were answered in a timely fashion. I'm extremely satisfied with both the products and the company itself. I would like to state I did prefer the body wash to the soap bar because I'm more used to body wash.

Once again, I'd like to thank Guy for the free samples of Defense Soap and for his time answering my questions.

2. fist_to_face

fist_to_face Orange Belt

I love defense soap! I used it when I wrestled in college and it worked great. I still got ring worm once and impetigo once when I was at camp but thats the name of the game.

Oh and their shirts are pretty cool.

3. Mostenso

Mostenso White Belt

lol great review, I particularly like the taste section

4. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I imagine you sample all your soaps before choosing a favorite?

5. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Yes of course.

6. Cannon_6

Cannon_6 Green Belt

I'm impressed by the fact that you also know what deodorant tastes like.

Respeck, yo.

7. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Deodourant is nasty stuff to taste.

8. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

This is silly. Unless you're a scientist testing the claims that this soap puts up with regard to the antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral (my ass) effects, then any kind of review is ridiculous and useless... With all due respect.

At least you taste tested it :)

9. Cannon_6

Cannon_6 Green Belt

Do you have any idea how much time, money, manpower, and expertise it takes to do studies like that?

All I really wanted to know was what the soap sounds like, and now I do. Thank you, bnosam.

10. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

It actually has been clinically tested to help prevent bacterial, viral and fungal skin infections.

11. Defense Soap

Defense Soap Orange Belt

All samples have been sent. If you had requested one check your mailbox early next week. Guys in Canada might have to check later in the week.

Guy
    Defense Soap

12. chubs

chubs Yellow Belt

Defense soap is good stuff.

13. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I'm sure it says so on the product, but have you actually seen any studies?

14. jotaro

jotaro White Belt

15. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

*Claps* bravo,you and the other comments about teh taste had me laughing...thanks.

16. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Glad to see your "funk" is gone :icon_lol:

No problem!

17. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

While not definitive proof, I can tell you that during a recent bout of ringworm at our gym I did not get it - despite grappling with 'patient zero,' nor did anyone who uses Defense Soap.

It is a great product and the company supports grassroots tournaments and athletes.

18. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

I like it but it's a bit expensive. I read somewhere people bought similar stuff at RiteAid but I can't seem to find the name.

19. risingD

risingD Guest

finally we got a soap review

20. black koala

black koala Banned Banned

Worst endorsement ever.