Defense for arm triangle?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Big Jack, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

Been getting caught in basic arm triangles recently and it sucks. Really frustrating for me as I just freeze and by that point they've closed the angle and it's in deep. It's usually from mount (which I know, sucks I have ended up there in the first place) where I become distracted by strikes and then all of a sudden bam, arm triangle. What's the first port of call if you feel the arm triangle attempt? I've looked at a couple videos online but they don't look too convincing, and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable bjj guys in here. Thanks.

2. Sebg

Sebg Orange Belt

Is this MMA, no-gi grappling, BJJ?

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Green Belt

Apologies, this is MMA.

4. kuristus

kuristus Orange Belt

Are they finishing from mount or dismounting to finish?

5. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

6. Landon66

Landon66 Guest

That was a good video above. Ever since I started doing the gable grip and basically a "one-armed" pushup I've been able to finish most with little to no strength. That escape at the end of the video works for me sometimes, but once it's locked up, your in serious trouble. Some people do a desperation move where the grab around the opposite side food (awkward angle) and pull away with the leg to relieve pressure on the neck on one side.

7. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

Turning away and giving up your back I find is the best escape once the choke is in. It also tends to work very well without a gi since you have the slip factor.

Of course you don't wanna let the guy get the choke in in the first place. If you feel he is gonna go for it, just keep that arm against your body or if he already has his head in the armpit, keep that elbow glued to that mat. Work to get on to your side facing the side he is attacking and fight your arm back to the other side of his head (out from having his head in your armpit.) The last thing you want is your arm across your own face.

8. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

This is my go to escape, it's very intuitive.

9. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Yeah, I've been using it since I learned it at a Lister seminar. It also works vs. the seatbelt control when you're on your side, as long as you're able to secure his elbow.