1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

defense and leg-check drills (help)

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by LZD, Sep 3, 2010.

1. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

I have two major problems in Sparring.

1.) I find myself ducking my head and not watching the punches coming. Kind of like what a complete noob does when punches get thrown, blindly swinging. Except with me, it's head down, backing away, and not watching.

2.) I don't manage to check kicks very often. I have practiced the technique itself, but does anybody have a particular drill that works well for learning how to put the checks into use?

Another major problem I have identified, is that my boxing combinations fall apart like a chinese motorcycle when kicks are added. I think about the legs too much.

I am looking for help here beyond "you suck" and "spar more". I know I suck, and I will continue doing the latter, but I am also looking for some help with specific drills to help weed out these problems.

Thanks

2. FadeIntoViolenc

FadeIntoViolenc Orange Belt

Practice light technical sparring with only kicks. You throw one, he throws one right back. Worry about checking and defense and finding your TIMING and DISTANCE.

3. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

thanks. that's good advice. I will definitely do that next time I spar.

anyone else got any ideas?

4. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

Skip rope so you are lighter on your feet thus easier to check kicks when you are too heavy footed or rooted in your stance it is harder to check kicks.

As for the ducking away you probablly aren't used to the punches coming at you try punching toward your own face to get used to fists coming at you and then more sparring and some type of 2 man punching drills.

5. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

The push up game

Your partner can only throw mid level round kicks with either leg. You have to block with your shin in proper form. Cross blocks or same side are ok. If the kick lands, you do 10 push ups and then it is your turn to kick. If you block it, then you keep going.

6. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

(1) Do sparring drills where your opponent is constantly punching at you with fast but lighter punch flurries. Your job is to evade, block, cover, and counter.

(2) Practice the check-kick drill. He kicks you check and counter kick. He checks your kick and counter kicks whereby the process repeats.

(3) Practice the basic punch-kick combinations...or kick-punch combinations. Do it A LOT.

As the saying goes...practice makes perfect.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  7. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

One thing that helped me with both of those, a drill I think I found on this board: get a partner and put your back to something, then have him attack you while you just defend. I did this after class for a while with whoever was free for a few rounds, asked them to start slow and gradually speed up, and it really helped me with both blocking and with being used to having strikes thrown at me. I was doing it at just enough power that it would sting when i got hit - didn't want to go too strong, but strong enough that I wasn't going to slack off and let a bunch get through. My blocking, checking, and catching all got some serious noob gains after a few sessions of that and now I don't have to rely on moving so much when I spar.

Another thing we do sometimes at my gym is everyone gets in the ring with shin pads on and we run around trying to kick each other in the ass. You take a few hard kicks in the butt and your motivation to learn better checks goes way up :p

8. 35andOver

35andOver Blue Belt

1. What part of the body of your opponent are you looking at in general when you spar? Head? Throat? Chest? Are you seeing the kicks in time to check them?

I would guess you're not seeing them.

2. Are you getting caught in too wide and deep of a stance maybe? Are you keeping your footwork tidy or are you plodding around and leaving your back foot behind?

You should be able to quickly and easily pick up your lead leg while in your fighting stance. You should be able to pick it up, without making any footwork adjustments and be able to stand on the rear leg for a bit without falling forward.

Standing too wide messes up a lot of stuff. Takes distance away from your jab, takes power away from your cross and makes checking leg kicks tough.

3. If you're training to fight ammy kickboxing fights of 3 rounds and 2 minutes each, and you're having a tough time getting those kicks checked.....switch modes and just make the bastard pay every time he even thinks about kicking you. Most guys leave their head right in line when they kick.....take advantage of that and throw a good hard cross down the pipe as soon as you figure out the kick is coming. Whether you throw before, during or after the contact it won't matter as long as you throw hard and connect.

Connect with those hard right hands ever time he thinks kick (whether it be leg, body or head) and he won't hit you with enough kicks to matter in 3 rounds.

9. Janilane

Janilane Guest

Practice rapid punching, in my experience my sparring partner will be too busy evading and countering the punches rather than kicking me. Throw one or 2 kicks in between those rapid punches. It would be helpful if you have your own heavy bag, it will greatly help increase your punching power and speed.