Defense and Counters

A

Antnymofo

Man, I need to work on my defense. I try to keep my hands up all the time, but sometimes I get lazy. The thing I need help with the most is movement, like slipping and bobbing and weaving. Anyone got any tips to help? Also I need help countering punches. Most of the time you would counter a punch with a punch from the same side that he threw it. But I need some help with that too, if anyone has any ideas. It's hard to counter when you're covering up, and can't see the punches coming at you.

Have a partner throw very light and slow punches at your head. Once you get used to those, speed it up and move around, let him feint to try to throw you off. Dont hit back, just move and try to not get hit, but dont run away!! Hope this helps, try it before you knock it

I've been sparring with a guy at our school that is pretty much strictly a boxer. His knees are messed up, so he really can't throw kicks, so he helps me work on my hands, which is what I need. Before I started working with him, I tended to rely too much on my feet.

What we do is designate a specific, smaller area on the floor that is our "ring". That way, it keeps me from "running" and makes me consentrate more on Moving at angles and moving my head. It also gets me used to fighting close where kciks would be rendered ineffective. This makes me use my hands and I use this time to practice counter punching.

Ok this will sound really stupid but I swear it worked for me, in the spring i was preparing for a contest and one of my training partners got a hip problem so he could'nt throw kicks or move very fast. Our solution was to attach boxing gloves to the ends of a 8 foot pole. He held the thing and swung it or jabbed it at my head, body and legs, this allowed him to throw a variety of simulated strikes and because of the reach advantage the movement thing was less of an issue.

This may sound retarded but I found it really helpful as a drill and it picked up my footwork and body movement no end.

SmashiusClay said:
Ok this will sound really stupid but I swear it worked for me, in the spring i was preparing for a contest and one of my training partners got a hip problem so he could'nt throw kicks or move very fast. Our solution was to attach boxing gloves to the ends of a 8 foot pole. He held the thing and swung it or jabbed it at my head, body and legs, this allowed him to throw a variety of simulated strikes and because of the reach advantage the movement thing was less of an issue.

This may sound retarded but I found it really helpful as a drill and it picked up my footwork and body movement no end.

did he get the idea from 'kickboxer' with the claude?

Ian1983 said:
did he get the idea from 'kickboxer' with the claude?
Funnily enough that movie is why I took up thaiboxing, kinda ashamed to admit it but hey it turned out alright so it can't be all bad.

Actually it was originally done as a joke so you could just prod people with a boxing glove on the end of a stick, there's something so damn funny about that, and we then just transitioned into using it for training for ne real reason and once something works I don't really question it.

Fair enough, but in it as you know he progresses using the same tactic. Just don't go to the extreme of burning rags, those 3rd degree burns would smart. But you can scream out your brothers name if you want, adding 'you owe me 5 quid'

SmashiusClay said:
Funnily enough that movie is why I took up thaiboxing, kinda ashamed to admit it but hey it turned out alright so it can't be all bad.

Actually it was originally done as a joke so you could just prod people with a boxing glove on the end of a stick, there's something so damn funny about that, and we then just transitioned into using it for training for ne real reason and once something works I don't really question it.

Why do you have "Hulk Smash!! Hulk Kill!! as your signature, but juggernaut as your avatar?

As for this, I think it might be easier to have a partner that can attack normally. So you can fight a guy...normally...but thats just me. :rolleyes:

Well, they are both Marvel, and they do both like to smash things.

Would this one be better?
image.php

Also, whatever works for you, SmashiusClay. It's only retarded if it doesn't work and you continue to do it.

farmboy said:
Well, they are both Marvel, and they do both like to smash things.

Would this one be better?
image.php

Also, whatever works for you, SmashiusClay. It's only retarded if it doesn't work and you continue to do it.

Hulk smask and Juggernaught is like...

"You can do it Rock!"

&

dolph_lundgren_(ivan-drago)_ieri.jpg

maize bag training all the way if you are alone,light sparring and focus mitt!!!

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Why do you have "Hulk Smash!! Hulk Kill!! as your signature, but juggernaut as your avatar?

As for this, I think it might be easier to have a partner that can attack normally. So you can fight a guy...normally...but thats just me. :rolleyes:
Firstly I've already had kabuki whining at me about the sig and avatar thing, I am not a hulk fan its actually something i use because i have a tendency to use double hammer fists on the ground (great way to pass guard if you're feeling a bit lazy and can't be bothered with breaking your opponents grip). Whereas I happen to like Juggernaut so i used him as my avatar, I was'nt aware that I needed to have them match. In fact that struck me as kinda ghey.

I found training with the stick was actually better than using a normal training partner just throwing shots at you (I do actually use both and did at the time it was only one of the guys i was training with who had an injury), there's something about the fact that they're not actually trying to hit you themselves but instead swiping at you with a stick that makes it far less competitive and more relaxed. the guy hitting you can actually go a lot faster than if they were just throwing out punches and kicks and it requires less effort on their part so I can get a very tough workout while they're still able to work at full speed.

I have'nt gone crazy and abandoned normal training I've just found something to supplement it that works for me.

SmashiusClay said:
Firstly I've already had kabuki whining at me about the sig and avatar thing, I am not a hulk fan its actually something i use because i have a tendency to use double hammer fists on the ground (great way to pass guard if you're feeling a bit lazy and can't be bothered with breaking your opponents grip). Whereas I happen to like Juggernaut so i used him as my avatar, I was'nt aware that I needed to have them match. In fact that struck me as kinda ghey.

I found training with the stick was actually better than using a normal training partner just throwing shots at you (I do actually use both and did at the time it was only one of the guys i was training with who had an injury), there's something about the fact that they're not actually trying to hit you themselves but instead swiping at you with a stick that makes it far less competitive and more relaxed. the guy hitting you can actually go a lot faster than if they were just throwing out punches and kicks and it requires less effort on their part so I can get a very tough workout while they're still able to work at full speed.

I have'nt gone crazy and abandoned normal training I've just found something to supplement it that works for me.

If they don't match, then you got to drink this stuff. Juggernaught is cool, The hulk needs to go apeshit more often, but you need to have the avatar match and your sig match. If you don't, your an american hating hippie.

can.jpg

The operator of the boxing club I go to does the same thing, which strikes me as odd, because the only other place I have read about training like that is in Systema, where they swing and poke with a long pole to teach you your bodies natural movement, starting slowly and getting progressively faster.

Back