Defending the Tripod

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by krait, Mar 26, 2008.

1. krait

krait Purple Belt

Just looking for some ideas on this. Didn't get a chance to ask the instructor last night. Anyways I got toally destroyed lastnight by a guy using the tripod to setup the armbar. Basically he'd tripod me and if I kept my elbows in tight and tried to turn he'd use the backs of my elbows to steer me me back flat.

So I tried to use my elbows on his shoulders to create a litle space to turn into . Well as soon as I did this he would hook an arm and switch to an armbar.

So then I tried to swim an arm down and push his head off to the side to get him at an angle to me and relieve some of the pressure straight down on my sternun. Well then he'd just swim his arm in and hook the arm again and get me in a north/south Armbar.

This went on for like the whole round. Basically, as soon as I tried to move and get out of the tripod I'd get subbed. But trying to stay and be patient in the tripod is absolutely miserable.

Any ideas?

2. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

What's the tripod?

3. krait

krait Purple Belt

The tripod is north south but the guy on top plants the top of his head square in your sternum and tripods up.

So all of his his weight is coming down on your through his head on your chest. They will then grab you elbows to conrtol you upper body movement.

4. Zankou

Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Did you try the traditional bench press escape -- extending arms to the hips?

N/S escapes are a complete bitch in general.

5. krait

krait Purple Belt

Not really. I gave it a real limp couple of attempts because of fear of the armbar. Problem is that in the tripod his hips are already up and back and I can barely reach them . And as soon as my elbows come of my chest he starts fishing for an arm.

6. Throwing Dummy

Throwing Dummy Green Belt

Only thing that has worked for me is to bridge up and drop suddenly, driving a knee between you and him. Then look to spin whatever way you can to bring back to guard.

7. Noskill

Noskill Created Monkey

My favorite N/S Escape. Get a knee in his bicep as you control his arm, make space, get a foot in his bicep, and spin back to guard/spider guard.

8. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

it's hard to do if the guy is real good and moves his weight well, but if you can manage to bump him back a bit by bridging rapidly it's very easy to get your hooks in when he is tripoded up like that and his weight is shifted up to far from your center..

9. WNYguy

WNYguy Green Belt

If you're flexible enough you can put both fists in his hips and push to make space between your head and his hips. Then throw your legs up over your head and over his back until you get at least one foot in his hip (two is better but hard). From there just roll your head out and you have his back! I use this one a lot, but like I said you need a very flexible neck and core!!

10. BANNANASPLEET

BANNANASPLEET Blue Belt

my friend..

i see your explination on your tripod. but there are two different kinds of tripods. as i was reading i was like HOW would someone armbar you when you have his back.

11. greatsleep

greatsleep White Belt

Control one or both of his arms, bridge up, hip out slightly (to the side of the arm being controlled, if you only have one arm), then throw your legs over your head to play the inverted guard. If you are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with the inverted guard, you can simply spin back to guard using the arm control and at least one foot or knee in your opponent's bicept, hip or shoulder. Flexibility helps with this move, but isn't necessary. If you are less flexible, you will just have to hip out more.

The important thing is not to wait around on your back and let your opponent stabilize the position. As soon as he pops up and plants his head in your chest, you should be moving.