defending takedowns from southpaw stance in MMA

M

MMAforLife

i fight southpaw (right side lead). 90% of my opponents fight with a left side lead. what are the best takedown defenses for a lefty striker against an orthodox stance? think cro-cop and rich franklin.

Any wrestler that's any good will shoot off either side. Your stance shouldn't make much difference to them. Depending on their striking and your reflexes, you might want to keep your lead hand low to underhook him when he shoots. I do find this a little easier to do successfully from southpaw compared to orthodox (with an orthodox opponent). Because they are usually coming from a little further away, you might have a little more time to hit them with a left cross as they enter (most will go for the lead leg, or a double leg starting from the lead side).

TheHighlander said:
Any wrestler that's any good will shoot off either side. Your stance shouldn't make much difference to them. Depending on their striking and your reflexes, you might want to keep your lead hand low to underhook him when he shoots. I do find this a little easier to do successfully from southpaw compared to orthodox (with an orthodox opponent). Because they are usually coming from a little further away, you might have a little more time to hit them with a left cross as they enter (most will go for the lead leg, or a double leg starting from the lead side).

thanks, great info. the low lead hand is exactly what crocop does against grapplers.

Back